peds neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bunsen Honeydew

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have info on DEDICATED peds neuro programs -- that is, 5-yr. progams -- in NYC. It looks like NYU and Columbia have peds neuro, but I'm not sure about other sites, such as Cornell. Also, it sounds like these 5-yr. programs are highly competitive with typically only a couple open slots per year; any insight into how competitive (i.e. board score/grades/etc.). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The listing of all the advanced 3 year and integrated/combined 4-5 year child neurology residencies are listed in the san franscisco match application form.

You should contact each program directly to inquire as to their typical resident profile and standards for considering candidates. In general, the strength of the neurology department affiliated with the program will dictate how competitive the ped neuro residency will be to obtain.

Keep in mind, most programs take in 2-3 people per year due to a shortage of applicants rather than any reflection of its relative competitiveness to other fields. Many of these positions are left unfilled by the match.

Something's wrong with their form. Hopkins and UVA, among other Child Neuro programs that I'm interested in, aren't there. I wonder if maybe they do something besides the SF Match... I obviously need to do more research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something's wrong with their form. Hopkins and UVA, among other Child Neuro programs that I'm interested in, aren't there. I wonder if maybe they do something besides the SF Match... I obviously need to do more research.

There is nothing wrong with the form. Both Hopkins and UVA are on there. Try scrolling down the list. :rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with the form. Both Hopkins and UVA are on there. Try scrolling down the list. :rolleyes:
Roger. That's what I get for trying to look at the pdf on my phone.

Side note - I am trying to couples match with my fiance who's going into family med, but I guess that's thoroughly impossible with child neuro and the sf match. Right?

Are these programs less competitive than adult neuro? Also, can one apply to both these and adult neuro programs? Thanks!

Are these programs less competitive than adult neuro? Also, can one apply to both these and adult neuro programs? Thanks!

Well, to address your second question... yes, you can apply to both programs.

As for competitiveness... its hard to say. I think they're pretty comparable.

Right now peds neurology just isn't as popular as adult neurology (especially at the stronger institutions), so there's a big disparity in the number of applicants as well as available spots. In general, adult neurology continues to attract more of the "superstar" applicants. Even though there is a huge demand for ped neurologists, they're still not getting compensated as much relative to their adult neuro colleagues.

That said, I did have the opportunity to work alongside ped neuro as well as adult neurology residents at the same university (I won't say where). Just my opinion, but the pediatric neurology residents (I met 4 of them) seemed to have a stronger overall academic profile. All of them were from solid US allopathic medical schools. The adult neurology residents (met about 10) were mostly foreign medical grads. The ped neuro folks struck me as slightly more capable residents too (though most of them had already completed a full 3 year peds residency beforehand).