Peds Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TobyTheDog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am approaching the time on whether or not to pull the trigger on applying for a pediatric fellowship vs scouting out a general anesthesia gig. I have only had exposure to peds in academia and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a private practice setup involving only/mainly working on kids. Would one face the same issues in peds Academics vs PP or are there issues unique to the field? How different would hours/compensation/case load be? Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am approaching the time on whether or not to pull the trigger on applying for a pediatric fellowship vs scouting out a general anesthesia gig. I have only had exposure to peds in academia and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a private practice setup involving only/mainly working on kids. Would one face the same issues in peds Academics vs PP or are there issues unique to the field? How different would hours/compensation/case load be? Thanks in advance :)

I haven't done PP peds exclusively but know it exists in plenty of places. Have spoken to many who do and it's pretty sweet from what I hear. Issues in academics and private practice are certainly different with adults and peds. Faster cases without residents of course. Some places supervise, others primary provide, still others a mixture. Generally $/hour is higher in PP, but you don't get paid for all that nonclinical time that ilD enjoys.
There are lots of permutations in PP and plenty of PP peds anesthesia is the bottom line. Hope you decide to do it.

I haven't done PP peds exclusively but know it exists in plenty of places. Have spoken to many who do and it's pretty sweet from what I hear. Issues in academics and private practice are certainly different with adults and peds. Faster cases without residents of course. Some places supervise, others primary provide, still others a mixture. Generally $/hour is higher in PP, but you don't get paid for all that nonclinical time that ilD enjoys.
There are lots of permutations in PP and plenty of PP peds anesthesia is the bottom line. Hope you decide to do it.

Thank you for the info. I have heard of some sweet deals involving pedi surgery centers where turnover is high and interesting cases are there if you want them. I suppose these tend to be in larger metropolitan areas.

Anybody out there who has been on both sides of the pediatric fence who can give their reasons for preference of academics vs PP?

I have heard of some sweet deals involving pedi surgery centers where turnover is high and interesting cases are there if you want them. I suppose these tend to be in larger metropolitan areas.

I would be highly skeptical of your competitiveness for a "sweet deal" pediatric practice in a large metropolitan area sans fellowship. They're not looking for generalists with pedi experience; They want fellowship-trained. Many of my peers took on fellowships solely for the advantage in landing jobs in tight markets in metropolitan areas; They had no interest in sole practice in their respective fellowship areas - hell, some even went into 100% CRNA supervisory practices despite their specialty-training.

Get the fellowship.