peds programs at BU and NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabepedsdent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
these factories for producing pedodontists, are they worth the money? each of these places seem to have 10 spots open per year for residents, but the catch is you have to pay hefty tuition. more importantly, does anyone know the quality of the education that is provided at this school? whether or not it is worth the money is each person's opinion, but what are the opinions of anyone who has interviewed there, or even better, is going thru a peds residency there currently.. thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

these factories for producing pedodontists, are they worth the money? each of these places seem to have 10 spots open per year for residents, but the catch is you have to pay hefty tuition. more importantly, does anyone know the quality of the education that is provided at this school? whether or not it is worth the money is each person's opinion, but what are the opinions of anyone who has interviewed there, or even better, is going thru a peds residency there currently.. thanks..

I know in NY, there's a bunch of pedo residencies (hospital-based ones such a montefiore and maimonides come to mind) that pay around 50K/year. i know nothing about the quality of the programs however. i would think these programs charging tuition are much less competitive.

If it were me, rather than dig the hole of debt deeper I'd take the year off, work in a medicaid clinic and make some money, then reapply.

Of course this will ruffle some peoples feathers here but I've heard nothing but negative things about NYU's pedo program from some very reputable sources. No, I won't go into specifics or discuss from where I've heard it, but it's from multiple people and what they say is pretty consistent.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at BU, but it just wasn't for me. They do quite a few rotations at other clinics, split time at the hospital, etc., which is what they must do considering they have 20 total pedo residents at any given time. The tuition is high, but the other downside to these programs in terms of money is that they aren't in po-dunk USA, but in towns with tremendously high costs of living. The 50k tuition is only one aspect of it. You need to throw another 30-50k *minimum* on top of that for living, and that's if you don't have a family.

I'm sure they graduate great pediatric dentists, and they probably graduate some not-so-great pediatric dentists.

Re-apply to other schools, or just the 2 schools the OP mentioned?

In general, how difficult is sit to get into Pedo after practicing few years as a general?

The way I see it, there seem to be two types of programs. Either they want you to have experience and really favor applicants that have practiced (or done a residency), or the program wants you fresh out of school without any prior experience.