Peds Residency Application Season 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovefishing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just submitted my peds residency applications :eek: Good luck to everyone applying this year. Let the games begin!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Applied! I feel things just got real. Good luck everyone! :)

:hello: Me too!! :highfive: Getting antsy already, good luck to all! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Joining the party.

And one program has already downloaded my application. :scared:
I noticed programs already downloading as well. Things definitely just got real. Now to stop myself from checking ADTS every ten minutes :p

Wait, how do you know programs have downloaded your app??

Good luck one and all.

Don't forget that when scheduling interviews, to tell the coordinator "I really want to interview with OBP".:p

Alternately, come up to all your interviewers and ask them up front "Are you OBP?" Look for the tattoo on the interviewer that say "Neonatology rocks":eek: (j/k...or am I???)

Good luck one and all.

Don't forget that when scheduling interviews, to tell the coordinator "I really want to interview with OBP".:p

Alternately, come up to all your interviewers and ask them up front "Are you OBP?" Look for the tattoo on the interviewer that say "Neonatology rocks":eek: (j/k...or am I???)

:laugh: OBP you are so mysterious!

Click ADTS on upper right hand corner and it shows which programs have retrieved your application.

Oh, I found it. . .two programs have downloaded so far! I'm so excited! lol Thanks!

Joining quest for pediatrics. Good luck to everyone applying and hope to meet some of you on the interview trail. I can't believe I'm at the point of applying. Been waiting a long time to post in this kind of thread. Fingers crossed!

Also submitted my peds application today and have had a few schools download it...did not think it would happen that quickly! So exciting! Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a silly question, but will programs look at my application and offer interviews if I have only submitted 2 letters of rec? I'm waiting on two letters from my rotations this year to submit as soon as they are uploaded which hopefully will be soon. I have an extra letter but the preceptor talked about me wanting to do family med for some reason and so I don't want to use it. Just worried about missing out on interviews because of one letter. Any thoughts or advice would be great! Good luck everyone :)

This may be a silly question, but will programs look at my application and offer interviews if I have only submitted 2 letters of rec? I'm waiting on two letters from my rotations this year to submit as soon as they are uploaded which hopefully will be soon. I have an extra letter but the preceptor talked about me wanting to do family med for some reason and so I don't want to use it. Just worried about missing out on interviews because of one letter. Any thoughts or advice would be great! Good luck everyone :)

I 2nd this question:confused: I have two uploaded but the other two are still in the mail / in process of being uploaded.

Last edited:
Yay! Good luck everyone! :)

AAAAAAAH! This all feels so real now! Good luck, everyone! :D

From my knowledge, many programs won't offer interviews until applications are complete, which means on Oct 1 after Dean's letters come out. I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe a few give out interviews based on numbers before that time.

Joining the thread - also applying to peds :)
Aaah! Anxiously awaiting for interviews.
Good luck everyone!

Just joined the thread...Lets get it poppin for Peds!
Turn up..man TURN UP!!! :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited:
sorry i'm clearly too excited...lol

Ahhh it feels so good to find my people on here!! I'm applying DO peds only, so my apps have been just sitting and waiting for quite a while now (opening date of July 1st, but first interview date of Oct 1 and Nov 1, whaaaa??)... it's just so nice to find people with enthusiasm for peds, instead of just asking me, "Eww. What about the parents??" :) Good luck to all this year! :luck:

Ahhh it feels so good to find my people on here!! I'm applying DO peds only, so my apps have been just sitting and waiting for quite a while now (opening date of July 1st, but first interview date of Oct 1 and Nov 1, whaaaa??)... it's just so nice to find people with enthusiasm for peds, instead of just asking me, "Eww. What about the parents??" :) Good luck to all this year! :luck:

Oh, I know what you mean about people always asking me about the parents! To which I reply. . ."why would you ever want to work with whiny adults who refuse to help themselves!" Very refreshing to actually talk to future colleagues, and hope to meet some of you awesome people on the interview trail. . .granted I get some interviews hopefully!

Good luck everyone! I look forward to meeting some of you during interview season. :)

Yeah I'm applying DO peds (broadly) as well and MD peds in the tri-state area. Let me know if you hear anything, I only submitted for DO programs on the 13th.

longtime lurker finally joining the party...applied to DO and MD programs in the northeast/midatlantic - no word yet from any of the DO programs, though I only applied to 6...good luck everyone!!

Good luck everyone! PM me if you have any questions about programs in Chicago, NorCal or NYC.

Make the most of this season, it was so much fun!

Oh, I know what you mean about people always asking me about the parents! To which I reply. . ."why would you ever want to work with whiny adults who refuse to help themselves!" Very refreshing to actually talk to future colleagues, and hope to meet some of you awesome people on the interview trail. . .granted I get some interviews hopefully!

Eww, what about the parents? To which I reply, " What about them? I'm going to adolescent med I get to kick them out of the room!!!" :laugh:

:thumbup: I hear ya guys...it's like my current preceptor (ortho surg, no less) said the other day, in response to the "what about the parents" thing...if nothing else, kids deserve our (doctor's) very best. I couldn't agree with him more.

Good luck everyone! I look forward to meeting some of you during interview season. :)

Yeah I'm applying DO peds (broadly) as well and MD peds in the tri-state area. Let me know if you hear anything, I only submitted for DO programs on the 13th.

How do, and others that are applying to both types of programs, plan to handle your rank lists? I guess since I'm doing DO only, I hadn't thought much about it. Do you basically just see if you get enough allo interviews and then only rank allo? Or do you go ahead and rank both with the hope of just matching anywhere? I'm sure it depends on personal circumstances. I suppose I just think about how most people end up in allo peds, but of course, most would be more than capable of matching DO as well, so maybe they just end up forgoing the DO match...

How do, and others that are applying to both types of programs, plan to handle your rank lists? I guess since I'm doing DO only, I hadn't thought much about it. Do you basically just see if you get enough allo interviews and then only rank allo? Or do you go ahead and rank both with the hope of just matching anywhere? I'm sure it depends on personal circumstances. I suppose I just think about how most people end up in allo peds, but of course, most would be more than capable of matching DO as well, so maybe they just end up forgoing the DO match...

i'm signing up for both matches and playing it by ear...if my top choice is a DO program, I'll rank that and see what happens. but if my top DO program is #6 overall or something, I'll wait it out until the allo match (provided i get enough interviews to have that luxury)

i'm signing up for both matches and playing it by ear...if my top choice is a DO program, I'll rank that and see what happens. but if my top DO program is #6 overall or something, I'll wait it out until the allo match (provided i get enough interviews to have that luxury)

I'm thinking about adding some DO programs to the list and was wondering about the logistics as well!

Considering how quickly some places have started handing out interviews, does anyone understand the process? It seems like so much work to have gone through applications already! I wonder if this first (I assume) round of offers is based on some sort of screening combination?

Considering how quickly some places have started handing out interviews, does anyone understand the process? It seems like so much work to have gone through applications already! I wonder if this first (I assume) round of offers is based on some sort of screening combination?

I imagine some of them are home program interviews--I'm pretty sure all the peds hopefuls in my class got an invite from our program on Monday, and I'm pretty sure they didn't send out invites to anyone else (until yesterday, anyway).

But yeah, there's probably some sort of screen in place. Or maybe they just look at a couple things on the application--board scores, then letters, maybe. See if any of the letters were written by people they're familiar with. Or maybe screen based on number of activities. Or maybe based on school--I was specifically told that one of the upcoming chiefs at a program went to my school when I got my confirmation. I'm imagining it's not ALL board scores, because I know some people in my class who have gotten interview invites that didn't do all that great on Step 1 (though did much better on Step 2, so maybe they look at that too).

Or maybe they're going through x applications a day and keep a running list of people they want to invite, and then just send them out in batches every so often.

i am sure every program has their own process and quirks... the underground talk at my institution is that one of the residency directors will come into his office on ERAS' opening day, download all the available applications after lunch, and then after reading over as many as he can in 6 hours, will send out all the interview invites for the year... granted a lot of that is conjecture and i am sure many institutions have similar bedtime stories.... but i think the big take home message is however an institution decides to review applicants, that is their prerogative... so frustrating! =)

ps- the residency director in question at my institution is NOT the peds director...

Does anyone's DuPont application show that it has been retrieved on ERAS??

i am sure every program has their own process and quirks... the underground talk at my institution is that one of the residency directors will come into his office on ERAS' opening day, download all the available applications after lunch, and then after reading over as many as he can in 6 hours, will send out all the interview invites for the year... granted a lot of that is conjecture and i am sure many institutions have similar bedtime stories.... but i think the big take home message is however an institution decides to review applicants, that is their prerogative... so frustrating! =)

ps- the residency director in question at my institution is NOT the peds director...

whoa, hardcore! haha, hope that's not the case for anyone!

Another question, does anyone have a sense of when the majority of invites will be handed out? I'm couples matching so any insight into time frames of programs is indispensable.

Another question, does anyone have a sense of when the majority of invites will be handed out? I'm couples matching so any insight into time frames of programs is indispensable.

I was wondering this too-- do most programs hand out all of their interviews by the end of October? Early November?

I was wondering this too-- do most programs hand out all of their interviews by the end of October? Early November?

The interview invite thread last year was getting somewhat regular updates until mid-November, though most interviews seem to have gone out by mid-October.

So, how many interviews do most people plan to attend? I was thinking around the ten mark. . .does that seem like enough?

So, how many interviews do most people plan to attend? I was thinking around the ten mark. . .does that seem like enough?

I've been told by advisors that I should "apply to as many schools as I believe will allow me 10 interview invites." If that suggestion is correct...then attending 10 should be just fine. Again, though, I'm not 100% sure.