Peds Residency --> Peds Surgery, or only Surgery Residency--> Peds Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aalamruad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question: are there any peds surgery specialties/subspecialties for which you can first do a peds residency followed by a surgical fellowship, or do you always have to go from a surgical residency followed by a peds fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Are peds surgical fellowships competitive?
Depends on the type of surgery, I believe. For example, I've heard that ortho --> peds ortho isn't too tough, but gen surg --> peds surgery is very competitive

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question: are there any peds surgery specialties/subspecialties for which you can first do a peds residency followed by a surgical fellowship, or do you always have to go from a surgical residency followed by a peds fellowship?

Pediatricians have been boycotting the OR since the decision to ban Scooby Doo-themed surgical gowns.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you more or less have to have connections to get a peds fellowship?

5 year gen surg residency with 1-2 years of research in ped surg mixed in is the norm

Depends on the type of surgery, I believe. For example, I've heard that ortho --> peds ortho isn't too tough, but gen surg --> peds surgery is very competitive
What we think of when you say "pediatric surgery" is a pediatric fellowship after a surgery residency, which is highly competitive. However surgical subspecialties can also feed into pediatric subspecialty surgery, eg ortho, ENT, urology, often via fellowship. Although I couldn't tell you how competitive those pathways are, I imagine they are less competitive than gen surg matching into peds. However you have to balance that with ortho, ent, uro, etc being on average much more competitive than gen surg to match into initially. (But if you really want to dive into it, the quality of gen surg residency you would want to go to in order to prepare to match peds is much more competitive than just matching at any gen surg program.)