Surgery rotations question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinyhandsbob

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about 3rd year core surgery rotations in general:

1) As a student in this core rotation, what proportion of the rotation/day is spent in the OR directly watching/helping with surgeries versus other work outside the OR?

2) How common is it for students/residents to sit down while in the OR if they have back /knee issues and need to periodically take a break from standing?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) As a student in this core rotation, what proportion of the rotation/day is spent in the OR directly watching/helping with surgeries versus other work outside the OR?

2) How common is it for students/residents to sit down while in the OR if they have back /knee issues and need to periodically take a break from standing?

Thanks!
Days are long. Lots of time on your feet. It's variable depending if you are at a university or community setting. Residents don't sit or take breaks while scrubbed, unless it's like a 14 hr
trauma case. Sorry if you have msk issues.

Reactions: 1 user
The amount of time in the OR is very variable depending on school and rotation site—but it’s common to spend several hours a day in the OR, observing or holding retractors. And usually only the anesthesiologist is seated, although sometimes hand surgeons, ophthalmologists, or neurosurgeons (when operating on brain) operate from a chair.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!
1. Variable. Lots of helping on the floors and clinic as a student, but usually an effort is made to get the students involved in the OR as much as possible. This can depend to on what kind of rotation your school has. For my core rotation it was in a teaching hospital with residents so I was bouncing around wherever I was needed, and where the greatest educational benefit was found. On the other hand I did an elective with an adjunct faculty member and was first assist on all his cases with the chief resident and then saw his patients in clinic so my schedule was what his was.

2. Not common unless it’s a super long case or the type of case where the surgeon sits down, I.e carpal tunnel release

Reactions: 1 user
Buy comfortable shoes and work on your posture, surgery rotation is a longggg day of 'hurry up and wait".

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors