Peds Shelf Exam - My idea, your criticism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathologyDO

MS-3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have learned from Step 1 that for me, reading stuff from FA and other books provided did help but I felt that what really helped me score well was UWorld and other resources like Pathoma and Firecracker. In undergrad all I had to do was read the book and I could ace exams, but with the material that we study I cannot seem to remember the information in a way that I can use it on exams without seeing it in question format beforehand so that I know what exam writers think is the important stuff

That being said, I was wondering what you guys think about taking basically a full Q bank approach using USMLE Rx + UWorld, and then instead of just drudging through an entire book, read about cases that I encounter in the clinic? This way I can reinforce my actual encounters making those more memorable, and then hammering in the information that NBME exam writers want me to focus on using Q banks? Right now I'm doing peds and it is actually a lot of fun although I'm not sure it is my calling, so I'm not sure I need to get Honors, I would be happy with a high pass to be honest

Members don't see this ad.

So I have learned from Step 1 that for me, reading stuff from FA and other books provided did help but I felt that what really helped me score well was UWorld and other resources like Pathoma and Firecracker. In undergrad all I had to do was read the book and I could ace exams, but with the material that we study I cannot seem to remember the information in a way that I can use it on exams without seeing it in question format beforehand so that I know what exam writers think is the important stuff

That being said, I was wondering what you guys think about taking basically a full Q bank approach using USMLE Rx + UWorld, and then instead of just drudging through an entire book, read about cases that I encounter in the clinic? This way I can reinforce my actual encounters making those more memorable, and then hammering in the information that NBME exam writers want me to focus on using Q banks? Right now I'm doing peds and it is actually a lot of fun although I'm not sure it is my calling, so I'm not sure I need to get Honors, I would be happy with a high pass to be honest

Have you used Rx for step 2 yet? If so, can you tell me if there is an actual category for family med questions?

Man, that *IS* how I made it through third year. I scored middle of the road on just about every exam, perhaps a little higher on the ones I actually picked up a book for. A little less on some of the broader topics. For step 2, I studied like crazy off Uworld for Medicine (that's all I studied for medicine), and I scored quite a bit above average on it (I'm applying for IM residency).

Bottom line is, there are multiple ways to succeed on the shelf exams. I was very proactive on wards and constantly looked stuff up, etc. Did Uworld and did just fine. My general thought is if you are going for above a 240-245 on step 2, I'd pick up a book, otherwise you are probably fine if you really pay attention and study Uworld closely!

Just want to touch base here again. I ended up with a P for the pediatrics rotation, and basically all I did was be proactive and read about patients on the wards + UWorld Peds questions (which I didn't feel were that great for my test, but whatevs.)