Peds textbook of your dreams...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spikyhairedgirl

I am the B.F.D.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just found out I was given the Peds Dept award at my school. And with this award comes the free text book of my dreams (I'm guessing it should probably be a Peds book). So I was wondering if any of you had any ideas about what textbook you would want if cost didn't matter at all.
Thanks for your input!
 
spikyhairedgirl said:
I just found out I was given the Peds Dept award at my school. And with this award comes the free text book of my dreams (I'm guessing it should probably be a Peds book). So I was wondering if any of you had any ideas about what textbook you would want if cost didn't matter at all.
Thanks for your input!

I'd give Zitelli my bid -- its great. I assume you're going into peds. Also, If you are goind into peds you might want to find the most expensive major text book.

Ed
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I second the notion of buying the most expensive, biggest pediatric textbook available to all of mankind.
 
kas23 said:
I second the notion of buying the most expensive, biggest pediatric textbook available to all of mankind.

Nelson's is pretty huge- and probably expensive...

Congrats on your award!
 
aksailuw said:
I'd take the Peds ID text by Cherry, 2 volume set

You mean "Textbook of Pediatric Infectious Diseases (Two Vol. Set)"
by Ralph D. Feigin, James Cherry, Gail Demmler, Sheldon Kaplan

and I strongly second that vote. You'll have plenty of access, on-line and elsewhere to many general pedi texts (Rudolph's is my favorite), but almost anything you do in pedi will need some ID knowledge and this has everything imaginable and, on the cost front, at $349, will ensure that whoever gave you the award knows you like to shop well
:laugh:

Regards

OBP
 
WilliB said:
Nelson's is pretty huge- and probably expensive...

Congrats on your award!


I have to also say Nelson's...It's the Pediatric bible!!
 
WilliB said:
Nelson's is pretty huge- and probably expensive...

Congrats on your award!


I have to also say Nelson's...It's the Pediatric bible!!
 
Nelson and Zitelli's are great choices, but if I had extra $ for a book I'd have to vote for Smith's Recognizable Patterns of Human Malformation-it's fascinating and helpful on those long nights when you have time to ponder which syndromes your patients (and your colleagues) might have!

And..congrats!
 
And Smith's doubles as an excellent coffee table book. Think about getting a peds derm book also, those always come in handy at some point.
 
Oski's is the pediatric bible...Nelson's is better known for internal medicine.

However, I'd probably go with Feigin and Cherry's ID set. It's way more expensive...so you can foot the bill for Zitelli's or Oski's at your leisure, plus it's very practical and won't be outdated anytime soon.

Congrats to you for winning!