Peds to IM transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone Cold

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an IMG, currently a PGY-1 in pediatrics residency in NY. Throughout my rotations, I figured out cardiology is what really interested me but I eventually wanted to move back to my home country where peds cards opportunities are almost non-existent. Due to the Covid-19 saga, I've been posted on the adult side over the past several weeks and I really started liking it. Is it possible for me to get a PGY-2 spot in IM for next year (2021) so that I can eventually get into adult cards?

Also, how competent is it for someone with an IMG background to get into a decent interventional cards fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm an IMG, currently a PGY-1 in pediatrics residency in NY. Throughout my rotations, I figured out cardiology is what really interested me but I eventually wanted to move back to my home country where peds cards opportunities are almost non-existent. Due to the Covid-19 saga, I've been posted on the adult side over the past several weeks and I really started liking it. Is it possible for me to get a PGY-2 spot in IM for next year (2021) so that I can eventually get into adult cards?

Also, how competent is it for someone with an IMG background to get into a decent interventional cards fellowship?
You wouldn’t likely be a pgy2 in IM after a peds year. You would be pretty far behind in adult medicine

Reactions: 1 users
You wouldn’t likely be a pgy2 in IM after a peds year. You would be pretty far behind in adult medicine
I'd actually be 2 years into peds since I'd be applying for 2021. Is there a possibility to be considered as a PGY-2 in IM in that case?

Also, even if I start as an IM PGY-1 what'd y'all suggest? As of now, I feel like I really liked the adult side and would be a good career choice to pursue my interest in cards

I'd actually be 2 years into peds since I'd be applying for 2021. Is there a possibility to be considered as a PGY-2 in IM in that case?

Also, even if I start as an IM PGY-1 what'd y'all suggest? As of now, I feel like I really liked the adult side and would be a good career choice to pursue my interest in cards
I have no idea which path makes cardiology nore likely. But life is short, do what you like. Which do you prefer working with, kids or adults?

I'm pretty sure you can get up to 6 month credit at the discretion of your PD. Considering there is basically minimal overlap, that is even a stretch.

Peds to IM is big career change. Also remember that cardiology/GI are competitive specialities. Would you be ok to go IM and not become a cardiologist?

Reactions: 4 users
I have no idea which path makes cardiology nore likely. But life is short, do what you like. Which do you prefer working with, kids or adults?
I initially thought I couldn't deal with adults which is what made me opt for peds but now that I've been working with adults, I'm actually more comfortable and a potential opportunity to get into adult cards

I'm pretty sure you can get up to 6 month credit at the discretion of your PD. Considering there is basically minimal overlap, that is even a stretch.

Peds to IM is big career change. Also remember that cardiology/GI are competitive specialities. Would you be ok to go IM and not become a cardiologist?
Yeah, I could definitely work as a hospitalist if not cards. Until now, I wanted to get into peds critical care due to lack for cards opportunities in my home country. So if I don't end up getting into cards, I might as well go for CCM

On some of the cards threads here, I've seen Cardiology is going to be approx 500 graduates short per year to meat demand with short term demand being -7000 cardiologists per government estimates based on a large cohort of cardiologists ready to retire and baby boomers needing services (approx 1/3 of cardiologist are now 60+).

Status
Not open for further replies.