peds to radiology

Started by pedicards
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pedicards

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an MS IV and I'm starting my peds residency in July. However, I am now doing a radiology rotation, and I really, really like it. In fact, I think I would like to be a pediatric radiologist.

What are my options if I decide, after a few months of residency in pediatrics, to apply for a radiology residency and eventually do pediatric radiology? I wonder if I could do an internship in peds and that would count as my prelim year? Does anyone have experience with switching fields like this?

Thanks.
 
- Peds counts as internship.
- Yes it can be done
- talk to your peds program director early on. You will need his LOR to make the change
- you will run into a funding issue when trying to make the change. In short, if you change after PGY-2 peds, the radiology program will be short about 20k per year for R-2 to R-4. (this can present a problem for people trying to switch from IM or peds which both have a 3 year funding cap as opposed to GS with a 5 year cap) More on this here: http://www.aamc.org/advocacy/library/gme/dgmebroc.pdf