Peds versus Family Practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of you also trying to make this decision? Any insight on the factor of difficulty of training programs (for a 3rd year med student who feels super burnt out and wants an easier resdiency--if there is such a thing). I'll need to stay in Los Angeles, and there aren't that many peds programs here. Do you think applying in both is a bad idea? Do the residency programs know if you do this?

Members don't see this ad.

ocean said:
Any of you also trying to make this decision? Any insight on the factor of difficulty of training programs (for a 3rd year med student who feels super burnt out and wants an easier resdiency--if there is such a thing). I'll need to stay in Los Angeles, and there aren't that many peds programs here. Do you think applying in both is a bad idea? Do the residency programs know if you do this?

I was thinking about applying into 2 different specialties and talked to my dean about it. He said programs do not know where else you are applying unless you tell them. He said that he would not encourage you to tell them outright but if they happened to ask (which is unlikely) you should always be honest. He said that PD's within the same institution don't even talk with each other so you would probably be able to get away with applying to 2 residencies within one program without it raising eyebrows. In the case of FP and peds, it would be even easier since FP programs are often at smaller community hospitals that may not support an independent pediatrics residency. Plus, both are relatively less competitive (although LA is a highly competitive location) and programs would be more forgiving of your situation than would something like derm or ortho.

If I were in your boat and the topic came up in an interview, I would say something to the effect of "When I had to start the application process, I knew I absolutely loved kids but also really enjoyed adult medicine and OB so I decided to apply to both and use the remainder of 4th year to figure out whether I wanted to go the peds route or family medicine route." And then tell them why you enjoy that specific program. Or you can tell them why you really want to be in LA (hopefully it is because of something like family rather than being a Laker fan).

Always be honest and do not compromise your integrity by trying to decieve the PD's and you should be fine.

I don't think you should base your decision of residency on which is "easier". Remember residency will be difficult regardless of what specialty you choose, only the level of difficulty will vary. You should sit and think of pros and cons for each. I think quite a few people that go into peds do so because they are more interested in treating children vs adults. Family practice offers a broad spectrum of patients, you have the ability to do procedures and even go on to complete a fellowship (OB, sports medicine). I chose peds because I enjoy children, more so than the noncompliant diabetic, obese, smoker who came to see me for a referral to gastric bypass surgery because they don't want to diet and exercise....this was actually one of my FP patients. The other benefit w/ peds is that you can subspecialize in any field after completing peds residency (derm, cardio, pulm, endo, ER, etc etc). As a side note, most of the pediatricians I worked with as a med student were some of the happiest doctors I met because they enjoy what they do, despite the low pay.
Good luck with your decision! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with what sholes and docmartin have said. I think it's a bit shortsighted to choose a specialty (that you'll be in for a lifetime) based on your current fatigue. I recently matched in Peds and I too felt very exhausted after 3rd year, but as docmartin said, any residency is going to be tough. Now, if you were deciding between Neurosurgery and FP, then there would be a more quantifiable difference in difficulty (and length). You'll find as much variability (in difficulty) between two pediatric programs as you will between Peds and FP. I know there was a lot of variability between the peds programs to which I applied.

Do I think it would be a problem to apply to both? No, but only do it if you are indeed uncertain as to which you prefer. It is unlikely that PD's would know. However, I think the bigger problem would be the difficulty portraying yourself as dedicated to both specialties when, in fact, you're uncertain.

If you really are burnt out, I think it would only be more stressful to apply to two specialties. ;)

ocean said:
The fact that you're asking this question makes me think FP is right for you. If you are not 100% sure you want to see 75% OM all day, everyday, then I'd strongly advise you to consider FP. You have tons of practice opportunities and can still tailor your practice to see lots of kids.

Homunculus said:
i *wish* it were that easy, lol

--your friendly neighborhood otoscoping caveman
OK, OK, you got me.

65%? ;)

docmartin said:
I don't think you should base your decision of residency on which is "easier". Remember residency will be difficult regardless of what specialty you choose, only the level of difficulty will vary. You should sit and think of pros and cons for each. I think quite a few people that go into peds do so because they are more interested in treating children vs adults. Family practice offers a broad spectrum of patients, you have the ability to do procedures and even go on to complete a fellowship (OB, sports medicine). I chose peds because I enjoy children, more so than the noncompliant diabetic, obese, smoker who came to see me for a referral to gastric bypass surgery because they don't want to diet and exercise....this was actually one of my FP patients. The other benefit w/ peds is that you can subspecialize in any field after completing peds residency (derm, cardio, pulm, endo, ER, etc etc). As a side note, most of the pediatricians I worked with as a med student were some of the happiest doctors I met because they enjoy what they do, despite the low pay.
Good luck with your decision! :D

Do you know what specialities FP physicians can go into (for fellowship programs) or where to find that information?

dr.z said:
Do you know what specialities FP physicians can go into (for fellowship programs) or where to find that information?

FRIEDA will have that information. The careers in medicine site at www.aamc.org will also have it.

Sports medicine is one of the biggest fellowships. Geriatric medicine is also available. I have heard people say that an OB fellowship is available but I think (and I may be wrong) that people can tailor their practice towards OB but their isnt any formal OB fellowship for FP.

Is it really that hard to pick between peds and FP? Do you want to treat adults? I can't stand them. I hate adult medicine so much that I'm beginning to hate myself. You see, with kids if they turn 21 and are healthy we win!!! Internists always lose. They fight and fight to beat cold empty death, but always lose in the long run.

Ed

I know that there's an OB fellowship at the FP program here (in Tuscaloosa, AL) as well as some other places. As far as difficulty of the residency, the residents here feel like its a very tough program, but from what I've read about other residency programs, its a breeze. Like all specialties, there is a lot of variation in the difficulty of the residency.

ocean said:

Just to throw another option into the mix, what about med-peds? It's four years, vs. three, and there is no OB, but you'd be able to work with adults and kids, there are many more fellowship options, and you'd have more dedicated training in peds. I know there is at least one program in LA.

Just to throw another option into the mix, what about med-peds? It's four years, vs. three, and there is no OB, but you'd be able to work with adults and kids, there are many more fellowship options, and you'd have more dedicated training in peds. I know there is at least one program in LA.

there are now FIVE programs in southern california.

i have now had 2 people laugh at me when i say i want to do med-peds. what is up with that!?!?! one of them said to do peds, and the other said do er.

so here is the dilemma. i can see myself doing peds, i can see myself doing er, and im. i don't like rounding sometimes, and sometimes i do. i don't like the er pace sometimes and sometimes i do. i'm so confused!!!

somebody help me.

so here is the dilemma. i can see myself doing peds, i can see myself doing er, and im. i don't like rounding sometimes, and sometimes i do. i don't like the er pace sometimes and sometimes i do. i'm so confused!!!

somebody help me.

**Cough** (family medicine) **Cough** ;)

Is it really that hard to pick between peds and FP? Do you want to treat adults? I can't stand them. I hate adult medicine so much that I'm beginning to hate myself. You see, with kids if they turn 21 and are healthy we win!!! Internists always lose. They fight and fight to beat cold empty death, but always lose in the long run.

Ed

That is a truly glorious post...it perfectly sums up why I had no problem whatsoever choosing between FP and Peds. Good God almighty, if I never see another 70yo COPD'er with a 50pack year hx of smoking, diabetic ulcers on both feet, a BMI greater than their age, who demands to be admitted because the Lortab they're hooked on just ain't taking the edge off their chronic fibromyalgia pain like it used to........

there are now FIVE programs in southern california.

i have now had 2 people laugh at me when i say i want to do med-peds. what is up with that!?!?! one of them said to do peds, and the other said do er.

somebody help me.

Thank you for exhuming a long dead thread.

the reason why people are laughing at you is that you'll have to eventually choose one of the two fields. if you want NO life, then it may be possible to do both in an academic setting.

you just reminded me of something:
sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. almond joy's got nuts, mounds don't.

I am now going to eat some chocolate