Peer mentoring as CS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nezzy’s hyperboloid

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does peer mentoring/tutoring through a club on campus count as community service? I have received different and often conflicting responses with regards to this. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you go more in depth on your experience? Too broad for me to decide rn

Well I’ve tutored and advised fellow students with schedules, time management, finding research, and similar stuff.

About the club-
It’s a club wherein members (advisors and tutors) provide free one-on-one tutoring and mentoring to peers (frosh and sophomores mainly). We help with access to more educational resources for students at our school and provide a strong support network. One of the main aims is to promote cooperation among the members and undermine the notion of competition that is ever so prevalent at our school.

Last edited:
I feel if it's tutoring your own fellow students within your school, I wouldn't consider it community service because the service is offered within your own sphere, if that makes sense. If it was tutoring offered to students outside of school (i.e. tutoring math to elementary children, high school kids from the city), then I would consider it community service. I think I'd label your particular situation as an extracurricular and possibly even leadership since you also fulfill the role of an advisor. Just my personal opinion though! I'm sure there will be other mixed opinions to come.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't count that tbh
Well I’ve tutored and advised fellow students with schedules, time management, finding research, and similar stuff.

About the club-
It’s a club wherein members (advisors and tutors) provide free one-on-one tutoring and mentoring to peers (frosh and sophomores mainly). We help with access to more educational resources for students at our school and provide a strong support network. One of the main aims is to promote cooperation among the members and undermine the notion of competition that is ever so prevalent at our school.