Peer VI versus Rivers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12R34Y

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Allright....I did a search and it seems most of the posts containing Rivers are from like 2004 and there was definately no consensus.

Some hated river's because it is apparently in outline format.

Peer VI? just came out with a 2006 edition i saw in the last EMRA newsletter.

Any thoughts?

What do most of the folks at your program use for inservices, study guide etc...?

the poll that was done on this inservice thing not too long ago included the following options: Rivers, tintinallis, rosens' as one category. Another category was Peer VI.

Would have been curious as to Rivers versus Peer VI.

later

Members don't see this ad.

Peer VI and Vegas review. Rivers is good for clinical practice, but is not good for test-taking, as it tends to discuss therapeutic approaches rather than stating "this is how you treat this". Vegas is better for inservice review.

12R34Y said:
Allright....I did a search and it seems most of the posts containing Rivers are from like 2004 and there was definately no consensus.

Some hated river's because it is apparently in outline format.

Peer VI? just came out with a 2006 edition i saw in the last EMRA newsletter.

Any thoughts?

What do most of the folks at your program use for inservices, study guide etc...?

the poll that was done on this inservice thing not too long ago included the following options: Rivers, tintinallis, rosens' as one category. Another category was Peer VI.

Would have been curious as to Rivers versus Peer VI.

later

GeneralVeers said:
Peer VI and Vegas review. Rivers is good for clinical practice, but is not good for test-taking, as it tends to discuss therapeutic approaches rather than stating "this is how you treat this". Vegas is better for inservice review.

How do you get this "vegas review"? is it expensive (probably) and is it current and updated frequently?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
12R34Y said:
How do you get this "vegas review"? is it expensive (probably) and is it current and updated frequently?

thanks

Two ways. Attend the offical Vegas Review in Las Vegas which is usually given in the Fall. Otherwise, someone in your program should have a copy, just make a copy of it.

Our program gives out copies of Vegas Review to all residents.

Anyone have any experience comparing the vegas vs. ohio acep stuff? I had heard a lot of good stuff regarding ohio, but not until this forum the vegas stuff.

GeneralVeers said:
Two ways. Attend the offical Vegas Review in Las Vegas which is usually given in the Fall. Otherwise, someone in your program should have a copy, just make a copy of it.

Our program gives out copies of Vegas Review to all residents.

Here in Kalamazoo, my peers and I used the newest edition of Rivers and we all did the Peer VI questions in addition to our monthly Tintin reading assignments for our quizzes. This year on the in-training exam, more than 1/2 of us scored >90th%ile on the in-training exam.

PhantomShadow said:
Here in Kalamazoo, my peers and I used the newest edition of Rivers and we all did the Peer VI questions in addition to our monthly Tintin reading assignments for our quizzes. This year on the in-training exam, more than 1/2 of us scored >90th%ile on the in-training exam.

I thought Peer VI was great for questions.

Does anyone find Rivers just, well, redundant? I mean, if you are conscientious and consistent with your readings from a major text (H&N, or Tintin, or whatever your favorite flavor), and working in Peer VI questions, does anyone find that the 1300 page volume of Rivers really allows them to "review" more efficiently?

I ask because I've gotten through a full version of H&N in about 14 months. I figure to be able to repeat the whole book again in 12. Should I be thinking of Rivers instead to review over the last 12 months, or is the time that I'm going to spend orientating myself to Rivers layout, etc. just going to negate any efficiency savings that I *might* have gained in a 1300 page review vs. a full text?

rivers is a faster read and is written in a consistent (fewer authors) and concise style. I really like it for post shift reading because I can spend a short amount of time reading and review a more substantial amount of information than with traditional texts, which I save for days off.

We're kind of doing apples and oranges here because Peer VI is a question book and the others are review materials. I think PEER VI is good for what it is and I suggest it be used in addition to whatever review book you get. I used Rivers and it was good for me but it is in outline format and can get tedious. I would also suggest that everyone choose early (intern year) and use it all the way through so you are very familiar with it. Don't update during residency, the info won't change that much, then buy the new version before your EM boards. A review course is fine but if $ is an issue skip the written review and use the cash to do one of the oral reviews. My reason for saying this is that a multiple choice test is fairly familiar to most of us by now but the orals are a different animal entirely and getting some experience with a good mock orals set up is valuable.