pelvic floor exams in school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikitaraqs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Members don't see this ad :)
We had to get pretty up close and personal for surface anatomy, but I've never heard of performing pelvic floor exams on each other in PT school.

OP - Consider yourself fortunate. In MD school, we'd probably perform rectal exams on each other.

OP - Consider yourself fortunate. In MD school, we'd probably perform rectal exams on each other.

That's unhelpful. I have no interest in medical school.

I'd like to know exactly what these pelvic floor exams entail. My imagination might be running away with me, but as a highly body-conscious person, what I'm envisioning is chasing me away from the career path entirely.

We had to get pretty up close and personal for surface anatomy, but I've never heard of performing pelvic floor exams on each other in PT school.

That's encouraging. I know getting handsy with your classmates is going to be required, and I think I can overcome any anxiety I have about that.

Our PT program assured us on the first day that there would be no invasive exams. The most "fresh" we got with each other was palpating the pubic symphysis and listening to the heart in various positions where things got a little close at times. Women's health is generally viewed as a subspecialty and therefore requires training outside of general DPT programs, and in neuro they told us how testing for a complete spinal cord injury was done (it involves a rectal reflex test) but we never had to do one. They said that they generally leave those to the neurologists to do.

I freaked out at first as well, partially because I didn't want anyone to do that to me, but also because I really didn't want to do it to anyone else.

Our PT program assured us on the first day that there would be no invasive exams. The most "fresh" we got with each other was palpating the pubic symphysis and listening to the heart in various positions where things got a little close at times. Women's health is generally viewed as a subspecialty and therefore requires training outside of general DPT programs, and in neuro they told us how testing for a complete spinal cord injury was done (it involves a rectal reflex test) but we never had to do one. They said that they generally leave those to the neurologists to do.

I freaked out at first as well, partially because I didn't want anyone to do that to me, but also because I really didn't want to do it to anyone else.

Thank you for your reply! I've read about palpating the pubic symphysis in the classroom, I think I can tolerate that.

I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling alarmed. Honestly, I'd probably drop the program if I had to endure an invasive exam performed by a classmate. I can barely get through my annual OB/GYN visit.

What's funny is I could probably handle doing something to someone else if I had to, but I have a tendency to internally panic when people I'm not emotionally close to touch me.

We had an actress come for our pelvic floor exams. Never heard of any program making their students partner up for that.