Pelvic Floor/Women's Health

Started by LEC_DPT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LEC_DPT

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know of any programs that offer courses in pelvic floor/women's health as electives or as part of the curriculum or even has pelvic floor opportunities?
 
St Augustine had that kind of elective. But it is not really worth much (3-4 untis I believe), just plain intro and I think it was all online. No hands on (or "in" lol). You would need to take more of those classes after you graduate to learn all that stuff and practice.
You will not get any specific training in that area in PT school. They only teach general subjects and follow standard curriculum.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The Univeristy of New England covers this topic in the musculoskeletal course and offers an elective from one of the more prominent figures in the specialty
 
Just keep in mind that nothing covered in an elective will be enough for you to actually practice as a certified pelvic floor specialist, this will require continuing ed certification post-grad. I would not use this to make a decision about where you attend school.

I am against school's offering electives, to be honest. We are all on here complaining about the cost of PT school and debt, so an elective is really something a school could get rid of to reduce costs to students. I believe schools need to cover entry-level material as efficiently (keep costs down!) as possible, and then you can pursue any further interests/certifications after graduation.
 
Just keep in mind that nothing covered in an elective will be enough for you to actually practice as a certified pelvic floor specialist, this will require continuing ed certification post-grad. I would not use this to make a decision about where you attend school.

I am against school's offering electives, to be honest. We are all on here complaining about the cost of PT school and debt, so an elective is really something a school could get rid of to reduce costs to students. I believe schools need to cover entry-level material as efficiently (keep costs down!) as possible, and then you can pursue any further interests/certifications after graduation.
Oh, I definitely know that I will need post education, but that is a really good point about just keeping everything basic then choosing to pursue other options $$ wise. Thanks!