PEM (emergency medicine) Fellowship Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied this year and hope to match somewhere with decent volume.
I've heard back from 8 programs out of 20+
5 Interviews and 3 rejections

Anyone else applying this year?
When should I assume that I have been rejected as an applicant (when no rejection is sent)? End of August? End of September? Now? lol

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying PEM for 2015 too.
I've heard back from 9 out of 16 programs.
9 interviews and no rejections... yet?

I was wondering this same... When should I expect to have been rejected if I have not heard anything from some programs??

I think it depends....when did you all submit your applications?

I am applying too, but have noticed that on some program websites, they suggest that they don't even start reviewing applications until the end of August. I'm not sure where you're still waiting to hear from, but if you want, I can send you the list of those I know about?

I'd love to hear where you guys are interviewing if you'd like to share! Good luck regardless...from the sound of it though, neither of you will need it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll go ahead and send both of you the list of the places I've heard back from.

I'm still waiting to hear from a few select places
1. UAB
2. Cincinnati
3. UT Memphis
4. Akron Children's
5. Emory

Anyone hear from them?

It's all quiet on the western front.

Speaking to my friends who are applying, it sounds like Boston Children's just sent out invites yesterday

Thanks, Rutgers06!

I heard back from Wisconsin and Pittsburgh in the past two days.

I've seen nothing but rejections for a couple of weeks. yay!

Well, it is the end of the interview season and time to reflect on the past three months and create a rank list.

In case new folks are reading this, the most competitive pediatric fellowships are as follows in order of competitiveness;

#1 Peds EM (73% match rate)
#2 Peds Cardio (79.6% match rate)
#3 Peds GI (80.4% match rate)

In other words, I am not expecting to match. I have a 'Plan B' and will not, under any circumstances, allow any false hopes to creep into my mind. I assume that all program directors will embellish their interest in order to have the maximum number of interviewees rank his/her program.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't allow the numbers to deter you. I spoke to one of my PEM attendings who said she only received 4 interviews for PEM and matched to her top choice. My mentor suggested I send my top 3-5 programs "love email" letting them know I have ranked them at the top of my list. Its good to have a "plan B", but try and keep hope alive for now.

That's not a bad idea. I'll whip up those love letters in the next week or so.

Despite the uncertainty, it is still an exciting time. With the match, it's a never ending lottery...lol

Well, the day has come. Rank list finalized.

Today is match day for the IM fellowship match. I'm glad to see so many people match. Too bad it's in adult medicine..haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, the match has been computed and very very few spots went unfilled.

I feel fortunate to have matched and hope everyone else has matched where they desired.

Well, the match has been computed and very very few spots went unfilled.

I feel fortunate to have matched and hope everyone else has matched where they desired.

Congratulations on matching.

Are there any reports publicly available concerning match rates? Do you know which programs had unfilled slots?

Thanks.

The reports take a few months to publish. I'm not sure if I can give detail but last year there were 6 open spots. This year there were a few less spots left than that.

As for the programs that had unfilled spots, I can't give the names but a couple of them would seriously surprise you.

Lets start this thread back up for the 2016 PEM application year. Good luck to everyone!

How are people doing regarding interview/rejection emails at this point?

22 applications, 9 interviews, 1 rejection so far for me. Still waiting on a few of my favorites

Good for you. Yes, me too. I am mainly looking to stay in the New York area. Have you heard from any of those programs yet?

I applied in the south and west, didn't go for northeast at all so I don't know about the New York programs. Good luck!

Hey guys! Has anyone heard from Cincinnati or Northwestern yet for interviews? I have only heard from 3 places (applied to 6) and am unsure if that means I should apply to more places or if interviews are still being offered at programs.

Hey guys! Has anyone heard from Cincinnati or Northwestern yet for interviews? I have only heard from 3 places (applied to 6) and am unsure if that means I should apply to more places or if interviews are still being offered at programs.

Nope. Didn't apply there. Mainly NY programs, applied to 15, have interviews to 5 so far. Didn't hear from the rest yet.

Has anyone heard from the major children's hospitals (eg ChoP, CHLA, Boston Children's, Columbia)?

Complied the list of programs (I know of the NY/NJ programs only) Which have sent out invites- let's keep updating it

1. NSLIJ
2. SUNY downstate
3. newark Beth
4. Montefiore
5. Maimonides

Complied the list of programs (I know of the NY/NJ programs only) Which have sent out invites- let's keep updating it

1. NSLIJ
2. SUNY downstate
3. newark Beth
4. Montefiore
5. Maimonides

That is all I have to add at this point for NY/NJ programs also. Will keep the list updated.