Pen on my white coat help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed2295

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a pen accidentally ended up in my washing machine with my white coat. The coat has a lot of pen stains on it, and didn't come clean with dry cleaning. I am easily able to order a new coat if it is a lost cause, but prefer to be able to get this one to come clean, as it is my very first white coat. Ive tried spray and wash, tide to go and professional dry cleaning service with no luck.

Anyone have a similar experience who can offer me advice on what helped them?

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Bleach. It's specifically designed for white clothing.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't wear it unless you have to, and when you do, who cares?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bleach will at least help the situation, but no one will care. Everyone, from M1s to attendings, has pen stains on their white coats.

Oxiclean? I have had luck with Oxiclean Max Force spray for ink stains.

If the coat has a lot of pen stain blotches it may just be easier to replace it than to try to restore your coat back to its original state. I use Carbona Devil Stains - Ink & Crayon to get rid of stray pen marks and the occasional pen blotch and it works really well (the more deeply set stains tend to take a few washes but it eventually gets it out).

Reactions: 1 users
Let the sentimental attachment go. It happens to all of us. It’s stained now, time for another.

If you really want to try to save it, and you haven't yet put it through the dryer (which will set any stain permanently) then try rubbing alcohol. Put a dry washcloth under the spot, drip rubbing alcohol on it, a little bit at a time, until it dissolves out the ink. Can take a while it you've got a lot of ink in there, but should help. Then wash again after you're done.

Literally no one cares

Throw it out and never replace it. You’re welcome

Hairspray. Blot. Repeat to completion. Then soak with cold water.

You already had it dry cleaned. You're all done. That flavor is locked in.

If you're a nurse, buy a new one.

If you're a med student, wear it as long as you must, then immediately ditch it upon starting residency.

med students should have more than 1 white coat

Whoever suggested nail polish remover it worked! Thank you.
I will be getting another coat, but this still has sentimental value.

Reactions: 3 users
Whoever suggested nail polish remover it worked! Thank you.
I will be getting another coat, but this still has sentimental value.
Wow, I'm impressed. I thought the chemicals in the dry cleaning process would have bonded the ink to the fibers forever-ever.

they kick medical students out for this kind of thing