Penn Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there were some comments on this topic within the Penn thread but I thought it deserved its own category.

I'm currently living in the Boston area but will be attending Penn in the fall and was wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions for apartment searching? I'm looking for a one bedroom that will allow me to bring my bird but want to be sure I'm living with other grad students or young professionals and not with undergrads. Are there certain apartment buildings or realtors anyone can suggest as I've planned a last minute trip to Philly for the end of the this week.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have heard (other people, please correct me if I am wrong) the undergrads live below 40th street for the most part. So if you look between 40th and 45th on streets named after a tree (Pine, Spruce, Walnut etc) you should be in graduate/professional student territory. As for where to search try craigslist or the UPenn off campus living site: http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/offcampusliving/index.php

Good Luck! :luck:

I've started looking on craigslist and the PennVet bulletin board for places to live. I'm looking in University city and Center City. I'm not sure how I feel about West Philly. I'm a little concerned about safety, since I'm coming from Ann Arbor, MI where I can go running at virtually any hour, and walk to study or grab a coffee anytime too. Plus, I need a place that allows large dogs, as I'm being a Dobe rescue with me.

I can't wait to move to Philly and start at Penn! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't wait either!!! I'm looking at apartments but I'm concerned about finding one with a lease that starts in August. Are most people moving August 1st? Or are people heading there earlier?

I'd even rather get there the week that orientation starts since I'm not sure what I'll do with myself for three weeks before classes start if I get a lease that starts August 1st. Well, I'm sure I can find stuff to do (ie. relaxing!!!) but I might rather spend those three weeks at home with my family before I head off to the great unknown for a while! :)

But I AM excited to explore Philly and live in a city for a while. I was in LOVE with it when I went there for our interviews! It was so big!!! I'm from an extremely rural part of Maine so WOW is it cool!!!!! :love:

Hi WishingHoping and all,

I'm planning to move out in August too. I'll try to get a lease that starts August 1. Depends on when I finally defend my PhD at Michigan.

Where is everyone looking to live? I'm looking at center city and university city. I'm not sure I want to brave West Philly. I'm accustom to a city where I can do anything at anytime of day/night. So, I'd prefer a safe location.

I'll probably take a trip out to Penn again in May or June too. Does anyone know if orientation is the last week of August or the first week of September for the vet school? I know the regular school is September, the orientation for Pennvet was the last week of August in 07.

you guys are giving West Philly short thrift. Muggings, assaults, and B&E are a Philly-wide problem, in no way specific to West Philly. Violent crime may be a bigger problem in west philly, but if you look at the stats you'll see that it's not happening to students, it's happening to west philadelphians. It's a mistake to think that you're somehow gonna be safer in Center City, especially when you consider that two police forces (Philly & Penn) patrol the WP region up to 43rd st., and after dark there are guards at every corner.

What you WILL find in center city is that it's harder to go home at lunch, and that it takes longer to get to school and home every day. If you have a dog that needs to go out during the day, that's a consideration. Some places in CC are a walkable distance from campus, but for the most part, and especially in the winter, it requires paying through the nose for parking in two locations or using public transportation.

There are, of course, actual advantages to living in CC. Better food, closer nightlife that isn't overrun with undergrads, and the like. But I'd be really surprised if crime was actually one of them.

I'm going to have to agree with nonvideas here. I have only visited Philly twice, but from looking at statistics, talking to current Penn students and faculty I'm pretty sure there is no lower crime advantage to center city. University city around the school (not past 45th/49th street) is heavily patrolled by police and heavily populated by students. Also a big deal: University city is CHEAPER. Reasonable rents, close to school...I wouldn't pass it up.

i 2nd (or 3rd) the recommendation of west philly over center city, so much more convenient.

my landlord is really good about pet friendly housing, if anyone wants their number, feel free to PM me.

I agree!! Granted, I have only been to West Philly a few times, but from what i have heard, the pros (convenient, cheap etc) out weigh the cons.

Good Luck everyone with the apartment searches. I can't wait for school to start!!!:love:

Ok question. So I'm looking at an apartment on 48th street...Is that sketchy?? I'm unsure if its too far out from school...but it's so much cheaper!!

any thoughts?

48th and what? I, personally, would not feel comfortable living that far out, although some of my classmates do. Also, that walk is starting to get a little far.

Ok question. So I'm looking at an apartment on 48th street...Is that sketchy?? I'm unsure if its too far out from school...but it's so much cheaper!!

any thoughts?

So I have only visited the area, not lived there. However, when I went to check out housing I realized that it was really block by block in West Philly. I actually stayed at a Bed and Breakfast on 49th street that was seriously on the nicest block I saw in W. Philly. There were streets much closer to the school that felt way more dangerous.

What is the cross street? Have you visited the area? How did you feel about it?