Penn ICU rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duckie24

Totally Quackers!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have familiarity with the Penn ICU elective rotation for MS4 students? I am interested in doing it because my school will not allow me to do the clinical anesthesiology rotation there since I have to do that rotation at my school and they do not allow repeats of rotations. The Penn elective site for visiting students says the rotation is with surgical and anesthesiology faculty, but was wondering just how much contact with the anesthesia folks there would actually be. Would the Palliative Medicine rotation be a better one?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Duckie24 said:
Does anyone have familiarity with the Penn ICU elective rotation for MS4 students? I am interested in doing it because my school will not allow me to do the clinical anesthesiology rotation there since I have to do that rotation at my school and they do not allow repeats of rotations. The Penn elective site for visiting students says the rotation is with surgical and anesthesiology faculty, but was wondering just how much contact with the anesthesia folks there would actually be. Would the Palliative Medicine rotation be a better one?

Thanks

I visited the Penn ICU briefly during my interviewing and saw rounds. The anesthesia residents actually rotate on the service, and anesthesia attendings staff it. The teams are huge though cause there are also the fellows and surgery residents are part of the team as well. Surgical attendings switch with anesthesia attendings q2 weeks i think. So yeah I'm pretty sure anesthesia is heavily present in the ICU, at least the one listed in the Penn elective catalog under "anesthesiology".

:eek: Not that I'm condoning this, but you could always take a surgery rotation but always seem to get lost and end up on the "wrong side of the curtain" per surgery. Better yet, take a surgery rotation w/ maximal OR time but minimal retractor holding & other med student scut.
Come on all, our man needs recommendations about the best surgery rotations to hang out w/ anesthesia. We'll be sneaky. heheee

Members don't see this ad :)
fuzzy_wuzzy said:
:eek: Not that I'm condoning this, but you could always take a surgery rotation but always seem to get lost and end up on the "wrong side of the curtain" per surgery. Better yet, take a surgery rotation w/ maximal OR time but minimal retractor holding & other med student scut.
Come on all, our man needs recommendations about the best surgery rotations to hang out w/ anesthesia. We'll be sneaky. heheee
it's waht i did while on my ms4 rotation.
just mk sure you arent doing this at the institution you relaly want to go to (u may get a bad rep w/ teh surgeons).

Duckie24 said:
I am interested in doing it because my school will not allow me to do the clinical anesthesiology rotation there since I have to do that rotation at my school and they do not allow repeats of rotations.

You know, that's a BullShlt policy by your med school. 4th year is supposed to be the one year where you can do a little exploration. Thinking about your question seriosly & esp is you wanta match at UPenn (great program btw) i'd do the following. See if your school offers any sort of research or independent study. Look throughout your cataloug & you should find multiple options. Then go through what research faculty at UPenn are involved in & see if you genuinly are interested in any of it & read up just a bit about it aka article or two by faculty. Then schedule an interview w/ faculty (i'm not sure if program director here would be appropriate but worth a shot). Go & tell them the truth, that you're very interested in Anesthesiology & their program but your school won't let you do another anesthesia rotation (they'll prob think it's stupid too). Then talk to them how you've been reading up on their research & think it's interesting (throw in a specific) & maybe you can do a little anesthesia while you're at it.
Now they might say no b/c of insurance reasons then you have to decide if you wanta suck up & still try to do a little bit of research. but then again they might think that it's great that you're interested in anesthesia & research & allow you to do anesthesiology while your school has you down for research.
loopholes baby... always thinkin
:)
good luck