*Penn Post bacc admission question

Started by dut99002
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dut99002

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
According to the Penn health programs website, "at least one year of volunteer experience or employment in a health-related field " is generally needed to be admitted to their program. Any Penn post bacc students who can speak to this?

I have zero health care-related experience myself (I'm a career changer), but am wanting to apply to the program. I spent roughly 2 years abroad as a service volunteer, helping and serving people. Obviously, that is not 'health care-related' work, technically, but does anyone know if it could possibly be adequate to cover this prerequisite? I haven't contacted the school yet about this. Thanks for your help!

I'm planning on doing the majority of my health care-related work while attending my post bacc program.
 
I am currently enrolled in the Penn postbacc program and when I applied I had just started volunteering in both a clinical and research setting. I certainly didn't have the 1 year that they are talking about. The difference for me was that I have many years experience teaching movement, dance and kinesthetic awareness. That gave me a good connection with the healthcare field and didn't make the career change seem like it was out of the blue.

Obviously, from my example, you don't have to have 2 years of traditional healthcare experience to get into Penn. I would suggest crafting your essays to make your transition look as logical to the adcom, as it feels for you (I am assuming that it feels logical of course!) I would think that your volunteer experience will be just fine! Good luck!
 
According to the Penn health programs website, "at least one year of volunteer experience or employment in a health-related field " is generally needed to be admitted to their program. Any Penn post bacc students who can speak to this?

I have zero health care-related experience myself (I'm a career changer), but am wanting to apply to the program. I spent roughly 2 years abroad as a service volunteer, helping and serving people. Obviously, that is not 'health care-related' work, technically, but does anyone know if it could possibly be adequate to cover this prerequisite? I haven't contacted the school yet about this. Thanks for your help!

I'm planning on doing the majority of my health care-related work while attending my post bacc program.

When I interviewed, it seemed like people with substantial volunteer opportunities were exactly the type of people the program drooled over (Peace Corp, Americorp, et cetera). While I had a lot of research experience related to health that I pulled on, a solid year worth of volunteer experience related to healthcare or specific employment is say a doctor's office was nowhere on my application. As the poster above me said, I think as long as you can make a coherent argument for why you've now decided medicine is for you and what experiences have led you that way, I think you'll be okay. Also, if you have any shadowing experience to speak of or even if you can just schedule a day or two with a physician to show that you know what's involved in patient care from a physician's side, I think you'll be set.