penn special sciences help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lashley02

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was in a somewhat similar situation as you (I graduated from Johns Hopkins a year ago, worked at NYPH as a full-time clinical research assistant, international volunteering, etc.). I'm in the Penn Special Science program now and it's tailored for kids like us who need a "second chance" to get it right. You will have to work very hard, but it is manageable and you can succeed if you put your mind into it.

I'm not sure how Penn undergrad classes are like since I didn't go here and my classes are predominantly with post-baccs. However, if you want to restore the value of your degree, like I am, you should apply.

You look like a competitive applicant anyway, so you should have no problem getting in.

PM me for more details.

I agree with spicyblue for the most part. I however did go through the UPenn post bac program but not the SS program. However I was there far too long and am familiar with the system there.

Anyways, I am not sure why you struggled wit the classes in the first place, but the post bac classes are not always well taught and there is a somewhat competitive atmosphere even among the post bacs. I did well in the post bac but it took me a while to get through the material and because of my liberal arts background. However, I was frustrated because most of the profs weren't even from Penn and then had no time to really meet with students on campus. On top of that, looking back, I had to fight hard to stay ahead of the curve to do well Some of the classes were taught well, some of them empasized things that weren't relevant for that population of people. I mean we're there to get our course work done and take the MCATs and I felt like most of the classes were still taught in Penn "weed-out" style. On top of that, we went through two dramatic changes in directorships and the 2nd one that came in was just atrocious. I think she screwed over a lot of students and a lot of us lost faith in the program.

If I did it again, I would go to a cheaper less competitive program and rock my classes. I would also find a way to rock the MCAT. I took it twice and was unsuccessful and despite being happy where I am now, I just wish that I had figured out why it didn't work out for me. The greatest thing about Penn that I woudln't trade is the resources. I was very grateful for the variety of classes that I got to take and for all the exposure to medicine I got being in Philadelphia. But in the grand scheme of things, I could have gone to another school in an urban environment where I would have had similar opportunities but not had to work so hard to prove myself and still done well. I don't know if that makes sense but those are just my 2 cents! Good luck and PM ifyou have any specific questions....

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a somewhat similar situation as you (I graduated from Johns Hopkins a year ago, worked at NYPH as a full-time clinical research assistant, international volunteering, etc.). I'm in the Penn Special Science program now and it's tailored for kids like us who need a "second chance" to get it right. You will have to work very hard, but it is manageable and you can succeed if you put your mind into it.

I'm not sure how Penn undergrad classes are like since I didn't go here and my classes are predominantly with post-baccs. However, if you want to restore the value of your degree, like I am, you should apply.

You look like a competitive applicant anyway, so you should have no problem getting in.

PM me for more details.

Spicy, have you heard anything about "Intro to brain behavior"? I am signed up for it next semester but I may switch to Witmer's "Advanced Cell Bio" class. Do you know anyone who has taken Intro to BB? It seems interesting, but with those types of classes you never know.

Can't say that I have Faze, I'll look into it. Who's the prof by the way?

Witmer is my advisor for adv. cell bio and she seems alright.

Witmer is a great lady but not the greatest prof. She means well and and is very giving in her time but her classes tend to be disorganized and the language barrier tends to get in the way. I took Bio 102 with her and she was my Bio 101 TA. The 102 class nearly mutinied after every test. Maybe she's gotten better since then....

I agree with spicyblue for the most part. I however did go through the UPenn post bac program but not the SS program. However I was there far too long and am familiar with the system there.

Anyways, I am not sure why you struggled wit the classes in the first place, but the post bac classes are not always well taught and there is a somewhat competitive atmosphere even among the post bacs. I did well in the post bac but it took me a while to get through the material and because of my liberal arts background. However, I was frustrated because most of the profs weren't even from Penn and then had no time to really meet with students on campus. On top of that, looking back, I had to fight hard to stay ahead of the curve to do well Some of the classes were taught well, some of them empasized things that weren't relevant for that population of people. I mean we're there to get our course work done and take the MCATs and I felt like most of the classes were still taught in Penn "weed-out" style. On top of that, we went through two dramatic changes in directorships and the 2nd one that came in was just atrocious. I think she screwed over a lot of students and a lot of us lost faith in the program.

If I did it again, I would go to a cheaper less competitive program and rock my classes. I would also find a way to rock the MCAT. I took it twice and was unsuccessful and despite being happy where I am now, I just wish that I had figured out why it didn't work out for me. The greatest thing about Penn that I woudln't trade is the resources. I was very grateful for the variety of classes that I got to take and for all the exposure to medicine I got being in Philadelphia. But in the grand scheme of things, I could have gone to another school in an urban environment where I would have had similar opportunities but not had to work so hard to prove myself and still done well. I don't know if that makes sense but those are just my 2 cents! Good luck and PM ifyou have any specific questions....

I generally like hop into give some perspective on these rants against the penn programs.

Sure, it's tough, but do you really think medical school is going to be easy? I'd really rather prefer a tough atmosphere, that truly taught me that I can succeed, despite my liberal arts background.

The SS upper level courses are not that hard, and there it is very possible to increase a substandard GPA by taking 10 or 12 credits. So, if you're worried about your GPA, do it. The classes aren't half as expensive as the undergrad payments you're making now.

Also, everyone has research, and you have plenty of good looking EC's, adding a little research to your resume is not going to get you that interview. You've gotta get through the numbers game first.

And last but not least, performance on the MCAT is up to the individual. Blaming an institution for your scores is not fair. Their pre-reqs cover all of the material on the MCATs, and sure, certain teachers focus on things they like more, but hey, that's life.

Only a select few med schools teach to the step 1's, it seems quite analogous to me.