Penn State class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jackb960 said:
I was with the Department of Comparative Medicine doing retrovirus work. <snip> So, did you work at Ft. Detrick? (I won't tell anyone :))

Oh, I work very closely with CompMed... I've got ~70 beasties who are a constant challenge. Was Randy Brown here when you were?

Um, no, not Ft. Detrick... not USAMRIID.... but their sister institution up slightly to the north and east. Odd, because I am sooooo much more interested in RIID-type research, but it's just too far from where I live. I did think it was funny the way RIID was depicted in Outbreak... no wonder citizens don't trust the military! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

sorry to interrupt guys but i had a question. did we ever figure out whether or not they give (detailed) syllabi for the courses? i guess i should go back and read through the entire thread... anyone know in the meantime? tia!

Hi guys - I feel like quite the dweeb but I'm wondering if anyone is bringing "family" to the 2nd look day. My parents are bugging me to come as they want to see the school they will partially be paying for. Am I the only one thinking of having parents along? I feel like they may get in the way a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
ashabee4 said:
Hi guys - I feel like quite the dweeb but I'm wondering if anyone is bringing "family" to the 2nd look day. My parents are bugging me to come as they want to see the school they will partially be paying for. Am I the only one thinking of having parents along? I feel like they may get in the way a bit.

Hi ashabee4,

Well, parents are not really on my radar (was thinking of telling my hubby he can go if he wants to-- turns out he is working, though). But, one cool thing is that they have a family "day" (really, 1/2 day) the morning before our white coat ceremony (Friday of orientation week). That may be a better time for your parents to go and see the place, unless they will play a large role in helping your decision between schools.

FDoRoML

LT2 said:
sorry to interrupt guys but i had a question. did we ever figure out whether or not they give (detailed) syllabi for the courses? i guess i should go back and read through the entire thread... anyone know in the meantime? tia!

I'm not sure. I don't remember hearing about it or reading it earlier in the threads... seemed like we couldn't even get a straight answer about class hours during the first two semesters, much less info on course content. :(

earlier in the thread someone said we get extensive notes for the courses so that's a good thing! i think with the schedule, it varies. 1st year, i think they split the class in half. half the class has anatomy lab in the morning, the other in the afternoon-then they flip flop after exams (this is nice b/c i remember the lab being SMALL!) i don't know what other classes are given 1st year but i think you have some free time. as for second year, i have no idea.

as for my parents, it would be really expensive for them to fly out just for second look. my bf/SO is coming though. i wouldn't worry about your parents, i promise i won't make fun of you! :p seriously though i think i also remember someone saying quite a few parents show up for second look. i'm excited!

well my mother wants to go.... she is sick of filling out all my financial aid forms and the countless hours on the phone with the accountants trying to figure out the fafsa... I think she wants a "word" with the FA office... Probably has some ideas on how to streamline the process... So I will be the proud owner of at least a mother on second look day... but i think she intends to drive from NYC early on saturday morning, so won't be around too long... (hopefully)...

LT2 said:
1st year, i think they split the class in half. half the class has anatomy lab in the morning, the other in the afternoon-then they flip flop after exams (this is nice b/c i remember the lab being SMALL!) i don't know what other classes are given 1st year but i think you have some free time. as for second year, i have no idea.

Yeah, well, you must be a lucky one. My tour was kind of, er, not super helpful. I think my student tour guides were a little too chill (they made fun of a girl for studying too much, repeatedly) and seemed to not be in a hurry to get anywhere. And then my other tour guide (of the hospital) was VERY nice but kind of slow (no, not mentally, he was quite old). No clue what the anatomy lab looks like... but I have seen the view from the children's play area.<g>

As for second year, well, it's MUCH busier. This seems to be the norm for every school, as they go into systems-based pathophysiology stuff... which is a major focus for the boards.

LT2 said:
as for my parents, it would be really expensive for them to fly out just for second look. my bf/SO is coming though. i wouldn't worry about your parents, i promise i won't make fun of you! :p seriously though i think i also remember someone saying quite a few parents show up for second look. i'm excited!

I won't make fun, either!! Heck, if I were a parent investing so much time and money (and a child) in med school... I'd want to see them all! :)

I interviewed at PSU this past Monday, 3/13, and was wondering if there's any chance of hearing back before 4/15 (when i'd have to pay a hefty deposit for my spot at the Georgetown SMP). I know Penn State says 6-8 weeks, but it's so late in the game that maybe they'll send out decisions faster. Did anyone interview relatively recently and got an acceptance within 4 weeks? Or what's the fastest anyone's received a decision from PSU? Also, has anyone sent a letter of intent post-interview (in addition to thank-yous)?

tiffchen said:
I interviewed at PSU this past Monday, 3/13, and was wondering if there's any chance of hearing back before 4/15 (when i'd have to pay a hefty deposit for my spot at the Georgetown SMP). I know Penn State says 6-8 weeks, but it's so late in the game that maybe they'll send out decisions faster. Did anyone interview relatively recently and got an acceptance within 4 weeks? Or what's the fastest anyone's received a decision from PSU? Also, has anyone sent a letter of intent post-interview (in addition to thank-yous)?

just my opinion, but i'd be surprised if you heard before your deadline. i don't know if anyone has heard earlier than 6 weeks. i know i waited ~10 or so but i was the first group of acceptances to go out. good luck...

fdoroml- my student guides seemed about as helpful as yours were. i stayed with a student (an alum from my school) the night before my interview and he gave me a tour of ALL of the facilities so i lucked out. the anatomy lab is pretty small, and the classroom can be seen in a picture on their website. it's stadium with tables and also smaller than others i've seen. anyhoo, i'd hope they give us a big tour during second look!

Hi All.
I've been accepted at PSU back in December. As of now, seems like thats where I'll be headed.
I was wondering if anyone had seen or has heard what the anatomy labs are like there? They werent brought up on my tour.

Hey everyone, I'm a first year student at PSU, and I've enjoyed reading through all of your posts. Congratulations to all!

Please PM or post any questions you still have, and I'll see if I can help.

To all you wait-listers, have faith! I rode it out to the bitter end and was accepted the Thursday before orientation!

Hopefully I'll see everyone at second-look day! (I volunteered to help out, but my birthday is the night before.....don't know if i'll be in town/alive??)

veruckt said:
Hi All.
I've been accepted at PSU back in December. As of now, seems like thats where I'll be headed.
I was wondering if anyone had seen or has heard what the anatomy labs are like there? They werent brought up on my tour.

i saw the anatomy lab the night before my interview. it's pretty small (compared to the other labs i've seen at interviews) and it didn't smell too bad. i didn't stay long, we just stopped by. that's all i know of it...

Members don't see this ad :)
LT2 said:
just my opinion, but i'd be surprised if you heard before your deadline. i don't know if anyone has heard earlier than 6 weeks. i know i waited ~10 or so but i was the first group of acceptances to go out. good luck...QUOTE]

I got my letter five weeks after my interview, but the only thing I did to move the process along was watch out the window for the mailman everyday. I don't think that helped one bit.

Good luck!

Avianburner said:

Hey there,

If you don't make it to 2nd look for me to tell you in person, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Any word on how the match went at PSU?

Thanks,
FDoRoML

Avianburner said:
Hey everyone, I'm a first year student at PSU, and I've enjoyed reading through all of your posts. Congratulations to all!

To all you wait-listers, have faith! I rode it out to the bitter end and was accepted the Thursday before orientation!

Hopefully I'll see everyone at second-look day! (I volunteered to help out, but my birthday is the night before.....don't know if i'll be in town/alive??)

Hey Avianburner, I'm waitlisted and I was wondering if you sent any letters of interest/intent/update to the school. Also, are there a lot of people in your class who got in off the waitlist? Thanks!

Howdy,

I just found out that I was fortunate enough to get into PSU. :D It's too bad that 2nd look is happening so soon because it will take mucho $ to fly out from Seattle. I wish I could be there with everyone who goes.

The JockDoc said:
Howdy,

I just found out that I was fortunate enough to get into PSU. :D It's too bad that 2nd look is happening so soon because it will take mucho $ to fly out from Seattle. I wish I could be there with everyone who goes.

Congrats! I feel the same way about the 2nd look. I found out I was accepted a few days ago as well. I feel like if they held the 2nd look more towards the end of April, so many more people would be able to go. Ah well, I'll be making the long drive myself.

FDoRoML said:
If you don't make it to 2nd look for me to tell you in person, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Any word on how the match went at PSU?
Thanks for the birthday wishes
We've actually been on a 2 week hiatus (with a required primary care preceptorship for one of those weeks that was a great experience), so I haven't heard anything about match yet....will update as soon as we find out!

Apparition said:
I was wondering if you sent any letters of interest/intent/update to the school. Also, are there a lot of people in your class who got in off the waitlist? Thanks!

I did send some letters of intent to various people, but not sure how much they helped. I may have sent one to the head of interview day (the guy that gave the early ppt presentation) just in case he sat in with the committee. I sent another one to one of the assistant deans that I'd precepted with before.

I knew a guy from lacrosse while i was still on the waitlist who's one of the assistant anatomy professors. He told me to send letters to anybody. As long as you're not a dick about it, it won't hurt you. Dean Davis (of admissions) is an AWESOME guy, and I don't see why sending him a letter could hurt you.

I've talked to several of my classmates off the waitlist. I don't know the actual number, but the waitlist definitely moves. We know PSU isn't a top tier school, but a good one to hold on to your admission to while you're awaiting word from your top choices.....so the waitlist tends to move all throughout the season

Good luck! Hershey's the sweetest place on earth ya know...

Does anyone know if Penn States 2006 match list is posted?

Avianburner, thanks for your posts. They give me a lot of hope. I interviewed at the end of february and am waiting to hear back. I expect that there is a really good chance that I'll end up on the waitlist since it's so late in the process. PSU is absolutely where I want to be next year and so I'm happy to see that there ARE people who get in off the waitlist. Thanks again!

Hey guys,

Congrats to all of you who have gotten in!!!!! I just read through all the posts and hope to one day post here saying I will be going to PSU. I actually interview there this week so all of the info about the school has been great. I really have yet to hear anything bad about the school (except the no scribe/not taped, but apparently that's a non-issue).

I will keep some of these questions in mind and try to ask them even though a lot of you look like you might be going to the second look weekend. (Something tells me I won't be invited to that weekend since its only a week and a half after my interview).

I can also look for rent postings for those of you who can't make it to the weekend. One thing that you could also check is Craigslist - there is a Harrisburg listing on there. (I have found my last 2 places on craiglist).

LT2 has already given me some advice for the interview, but if any of you want to throw anything else out there, I am all ears (and if you want PM me you can do that so this doesn't turn into an interview thread).

Congrats to all of you again -- hopefully I can be there with you!!

-waitman

I had a chance to look over the match list today for PSU. While I'm not a big fan of using match lists to determine school success, (since it doesn't list what choice each person got or what all they applied for....) I still looked up a couple of the common areas applicants look for. Sorry I didn't get more, but class was starting...

5 or so Ortho with one at one of the UC schools
1 derm (in cali)
1 plastics
didn't get to count emergency, but i remember seeing a bunch (that's popular here).

In other news, I read a question about syllabi earlier. We do get a print copy of the syllabus for each course, and usually a digital copy as well. I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for with the syllabus, but it includes exam and passing information, contact info for course directors and instructors, and the all important course objectives (that really couldn't be much more vague...)

I'm about 90% sure I'll be at second look day next weekend. (The powers that be said they'd give me a volunteer spot in the afternoon so i didn't have to wake up early...woohoo!) It starts at 8am for those of you who weren't sure if you should be spending the night or not.

Avianburner said:
I had a chance to look over the match list today for PSU. While I'm not a big fan of using match lists to determine school success, (since it doesn't list what choice each person got or what all they applied for....) I still looked up a couple of the common areas applicants look for. Sorry I didn't get more, but class was starting...

5 or so Ortho with one at one of the UC schools
1 derm (in cali)
1 plastics
didn't get to count emergency, but i remember seeing a bunch (that's popular here).

In other news, I read a question about syllabi earlier. We do get a print copy of the syllabus for each course, and usually a digital copy as well. I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for with the syllabus, but it includes exam and passing information, contact info for course directors and instructors, and the all important course objectives (that really couldn't be much more vague...)

I'm about 90% sure I'll be at second look day next weekend. (The powers that be said they'd give me a volunteer spot in the afternoon so i didn't have to wake up early...woohoo!) It starts at 8am for those of you who weren't sure if you should be spending the night or not.

thanks for the info, was there more than one match in ophtho? just wondering.

also, as far as a syllabus, some schools refer to class notes as syllabi. i guess what i meant to ask is does penn state provide comprehensive notes for lecture?

second week is coming!

LT2 said:
thanks for the info, was there more than one match in ophtho? just wondering.

also, as far as a syllabus, some schools refer to class notes as syllabi. i guess what i meant to ask is does penn state provide comprehensive notes for lecture?

second week is coming!

saw at least one ophtho...will check tomorrow

As far as notes go, Penn State doesn't give you anything paperbound like some schools do. For the first half of anatomy, Dr. Zagon will have daily handouts for you to color on, but from the second half until now, everything has been posted online for download. Some print and write notes, others take notes directly on the powerpoint on their laptops. Regardless, ALL instructors post at least their powerpoint presentation. MOST post practice questions, and MANY post more narrative outlines/study guides.
For those of you who tend to fall asleep in biochem lectures, I skipped many a biochem lecture and did fine (even without scribe notes or lecture recordings). Sometimes naps are simply the best use of your time.... :sleep:

Scalpellum said:
Does anyone know if Penn States 2006 match list is posted?

It was not posted on-line today. Last year's is on-line. Go to the college of medicine home page and do a search for "match". That would probably be the best way to check to see if this year's is posted as well. There are six of us who matched in EM (I am going to York, a great community program not to far from here), and one person matched in Optho (he was the only one who applied). I have a pretty good idea what our list looks like, so if you have specific questions let me know.

ewells said:
It was not posted on-line today. Last year's is on-line. Go to the college of medicine home page and do a search for "match". That would probably be the best way to check to see if this year's is posted as well. There are six of us who matched in EM (I am going to York, a great community program not to far from here), and one person matched in Optho (he was the only one who applied). I have a pretty good idea what our list looks like, so if you have specific questions let me know.

Hey ewells,

I'm specifically interested in plastics and gen surgery-- I see that one did match in plastics. Can you tell me where if you get a chance at checking it out? I'm also curious as to the rumor mill (unless they make it public to the students-- then I am interested in facts!!):
1. How many ranked GSurg and Plastics?
2. How many matched?
3. How many got their top 1-3 choices?
4. How many scrambled?
5. How many are stranded until further notice?

I know it's been an exceptionally tough year for GSurg and plastics (only one unfilled GSurg position!?!)... so I was curious how PSU stacked up against the nationwide average for match performance.

Thanks! Of course, I might be able to find all of this out on 2nd look day... maybe. Will there be any 3rd or 4th years at 2nd look? I'd also like a chance to talk to them about clerkships, etc.

FDoRoML said:
Hey ewells,

I'm specifically interested in plastics and gen surgery-- I see that one did match in plastics. Can you tell me where if you get a chance at checking it out? I'm also curious as to the rumor mill (unless they make it public to the students-- then I am interested in facts!!):
2. How many matched?
4. How many scrambled?

I know it's been an exceptionally tough year for GSurg and plastics (only one unfilled GSurg position!?!)... so I was curious how PSU stacked up against the nationwide average for match performance.

Thanks! Of course, I might be able to find all of this out on 2nd look day... maybe. Will there be any 3rd or 4th years at 2nd look? I'd also like a chance to talk to them about clerkships, etc.

FDoRoML, if you find any of this information out during second look day please share the wealth!! I am also interested in plastics. :)

Scalpellum said:
FDoRoML, if you find any of this information out during second look day please share the wealth!! I am also interested in plastics. :)

Not a problem! I know many can't make it to 2nd look, so:

Anyone who can't make it and wants something specific or general asked, just PM me or post it here and I'll try to find out some answers for you.

BTW-- 2nd look is Sat April 1, so PM or post by the Thursday before so I can compile the list of questions. I may run into something and not be able to check this at the last minute.

FDoRoML

i'll also be around for second look if you need help asking questions.... :D i also have a bunch of questions regarding clerkships/electives/selectives, etc.

were there any matches into rads?

LT2 said:
i'll also be around for second look if you need help asking questions.... :D i also have a bunch of questions regarding clerkships/electives/selectives, etc.

were there any matches into rads?

Cool. We can barrage them with questions until they are diminished to tears and confess all... oh, I mean, yeah. We can both ask polite questions and wait patiently for equally polite answers. Haha.

I haven't heard anything about rads for PSU yet. Wish they'd hurry up and post the list.... what are they hiding?

Here ya go, you bloody vultures! :laugh: Hot off the press

Stony Brook Teach Hosps Stony Brook NY Anesthesiology
Stony Brook Teach Hosps Stony Brook NY Medicine-Preliminary
St Anthony Hospitals Denver CO Family Medicine
U Rochester/Strong Mem Rochester NY Pediatrics
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey PA Internal Medicine
Mercy Hosp Pittsburgh PA Family Medicine
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey PA Medicine-Preliminary
William Beaumont Army Med Ctr El Paso TX Orthopaedic Surgery
University at Buffalo Buffalo NY Medicine-Pediatrics
Duke Univ Med Ctr Durham NC Pediatrics
Univ Maryland Med Ctr Baltimore MD Anesthesiology
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey PA Anesthesiology
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey PA Emergency Medicine
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey PA Pediatrics
Naval Medical Center Portsmouth VA Otolaryngology
Latrobe Area Hospital Latrobe PA Family Medicine
University of Virginia Charlottesville VA Neurological Surgery
University of Virginia Charlottesville VA Surgery-Preliminary
Boston U Med Ctr Boston MA Internal Medicine
U Florida HSC Jacksonville FL Emergency Medicine
Medical University of SC Charleston SC Internal Medicine
McGill University Montreal Quebec Internal Medicine
U Utah Affil Hospitals Salt Lake City UT Obstetrics and Gynecology
UC Davis Med Ctr Davis CA General Surgery
UMDNJ-R W Johnson Camden NJ Internal Medicine
UMDNJ-R W Johnson Camden NJ Internal Medicine
U IL-St Francis Med Ctr Evanston IL Medicine-Pediatrics
UC San Francisco Fresno CA Obstetrics and Gynecology
St Lukes-Roosevelt New York NY Obstetrics and Gynecology
UC Davis Med Ctr Davis CA Orthopaedic Surgery
David Grant Med Ctr/Travis AFB Fairfield CA Family Practice
Penn State Hershey Med Ctr Hershey PA Urology
Virginia Commonwealth U Hlth Sys Richmond VA Phys Medicine & Rehab
Univ Maryland Med Ctr Baltimore MD Medicine-Preliminary
National Naval Medical Center Bethesda MD Transitional
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey PA General Surgery
Yale-New Haven Hosp New Haven CT General Surgery
UPMC Medical Education Prog Pittsburgh PA Internal Medicine
U Rochester/Strong Mem Rochester NY Pathology
U Illinois COM Chicago IL Medicine-Pediatrics
Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr Winston-Salem NC Emergency Medicine
U Arizona Affil Hosps Tucson AZ Emergency Medicine
St Christophers Hosp Philadelphia PA Pediatrics
NYU School of Medicine New York NY Internal Medicine
Temple Univ Hosp Philadelphia PA Radiology-Diagnostic
Christiana Care Newark DE Transitional
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey PA Obstetrics and Gynecology
B I Deaconess Med Ctr Boston MA Internal Medicine
York Hospital York PA Family Medicine
Maine Medical Center Portland ME Anesthesiology
U Connecticut Hlth Ctr Farmington CT General Surgery
Yale-New Haven Hosp New Haven CT Internal Medicine
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey PA Plastic Surgery
Northwestern McGaw/RIC Chicago IL Phys Medicine & Rehab
Lahey Clinic Burlington MA Medicine-Preliminary
U Iowa Hosp/Clin-Iowa Iowa City IA General Surgery
Kaiser Permanente Oakland CA Obstetrics and Gynecology
Univ Hosp Cincinnati Cincinnati OH Pathology
Penn State Hershey Med Ctr Hershey PA Neurological Surgery
Strong Memorial Hospital Rochester NY Neurological Surgery
Penn St U/Good Samaritan Lebanon PA Family Medicine
University of Virginia Charlottesville VA Internal Medicine
U Connecticut Hlth Ctr Farmington CT Obstetrics and Gynecology
UPMC Medical Education Prog Pittsburgh PA Anesthesiology
UPMC St Margaret Pittsburgh PA Family Practice
Swedish Med Center Seattle WA Family Practice/Providence
Thomas Jefferson University Philadelphia PA Neurological Surgery
Thomas Jefferson University Philadelphia PA Surgery-Preliminary
U Michigan Hosps Ann Arbor MI Anesthesiology
Williamsport Hosp Williamsport PA Family Medicine
U Rochester/Strong Mem Rochester NY Medicine-Pediatrics
Brown Med Sch/Memorial Hosp Pawtucket RI Family Practice
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey PA Obstetrics and Gynecology
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr Harbor City CA Family Practice
Montana Family Med Billings MT Family Medicine
Sutter Med Ctr Santa Rosa CA Family Practice
Wilford Hall Med Ctr/Lackland AFB San Antonio TX Internal Medicine
University of Virginia Charlottesville VA Internal Medicine
Memorial Hermann Hosp Houston TX Family Practice
Case Western/Univ Hosps Cleveland OH Ortho Surg/Research
U Michigan Hosps Ann Arbor MI Medicine-Pediatrics
Baylor College of Medicine Houston TX Neurology
Baylor College of Medicine Houston TX Medicine-Preliminary
UPMC Medical Education Prog Pittsburgh PA Internal Medicine
University at Buffalo Buffalo NY Psychiatry
UPMC Medical Education Prog Pittsburgh PA Pediatrics
Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr Bronx NY Family Medicine
B I Deaconess Med Ctr Boston MA Internal Medicine
Brown Univ Psych Res Providence RI Psychiatry
William Beaumont Army Med Ctr El Paso TX Orthopaedic Surgery
UC Irvine Med Ctr Orange CA Anesthesiology
UPMC Medical Education Prog Pittsburgh PA Ortho Surgery/Research
Balboa Naval Hospital San Diego CA Transitional
York Hospital York PA Transitional
U Michigan Hosps Ann Arbor MI Anesthesiology
Moses H Cone Mem Hosp Greensboro NC Family Medicine
UC Irvine Med Ctr Irvine CA Internal Medicine
NYP Hosp-Colum Presby New York NY PM&R/Colum-Cornell
St Lukes Bethlehem PA Transitional
York Hospital York PA Surgery-Preliminary
UC San Francisco San Francisco CA Dermatology
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Boston MA Medicine-Preliminary
U Rochester/Strong Mem Rochester NY Obstetrics and Gynecology
University of Virginia Charlottesville VA Medicine-Primary
UPMC Medical Education Prog Pittsburgh PA Psychiatry
Pinnacle Health Hosps Harrisburg PA Internal Medicine
UC San Diego Med Ctr San Diego CA Obstetrics and Gynecology
U Southern California Los Angeles CA General Surgery
Naval Medical Center Portsmouth VA Obstetrics and Gynecology
Christiana Care Newark DE Emergency Medicine
Penn State Hershey Med Ctr Hershey PA Ophthalmology
Albert Einstein Med Ctr Philadelphia PA Medicine-Preliminary
Hosp of the Univ of PA Philadelphia PA Radiation Oncology
York Hospital York PA Emergency Medicine
Vanderbilt Univ Med Nashville TN Anesthesiology
Univ Mass Med School Worcester MA Pathology
Cincinnati Children Hosp MC Cincinnati OH Pediatrics

I don't have many good answers for whether or not people got there first choice for most specialties; the days leading up to match I kind of tiptoed around the people going into competitive fields, because you don't know if they got the unhappy email that Monday (which tells you whether you matched, but not where). I am pretty sure that the woman going to Yale for Gen Surg had them at the top, though. The man going to UC-Davis for Gen Surg got his top choice as well (after being rejected for an interview twice and calling them asking to reconsider). The man going into plastics only ranked one program and got it. Other than that, look at the list and judge for yourself; we have plenty of people going into great fields at great places. I am going to York Hospital for EM. It is one of our affiliated hospitals, and I rotated in the ED there and loved it. You guys won't be around long enough to work with me there (the faculty here may be taking away the third year EM elective; that is the rumor anyway), but get down to the York ED in your fourth year if you have a chance. It converted some of my classmates into going into Emergency.

FDoRoML said:
Hey ewells,

2. How many matched?
4. How many scrambled?

Thanks for all of the info. Wow, I REALLY did not expect to see that many matching into neurosurgery. It's not as competetive as some other specialties, but most schools don't match that many (except places like Harvard, Hopkins, etc). That's kind of cool.

Just FYI to all of those currently attending and those soon-to-be MS1ers:
A few months ago, I mentioned to one of my colleagues (prof) that I will probably go to PSU and he absolutely GUSHED about how great the clinical training was... and how it's in many cases better than here (Hopkins). BTW-- he actually teaches med students and residents here, so that says something!

So, lots of warm fuzzies to PSU Med! :love:

Nice match list. Hey scalpellum-- matches into cali for surgery... and a UCSF derm match? WOW. i don't base anything on match lists, but this one definitely doesn't make me feel bad at all! :)

LT2 said:
i don't base anything on match lists, but this one definitely doesn't make me feel bad at all! :)

Exactly. It's not a "mine is bigger" kind of competition... because it reflects more the personal interests of students for that given match year. We can't look down on a match list because of what it *doesn't* have, but we can be really happy about things a list *does* have... and derm, plastics, rads, GS, etc on the PSU list just shows for those doubters-- its name alone will not keep you OUT of any residencies (you just need to work you @ss off and get good scores and recs!).

I know I am in a pretty good mood after seeing the list. :)

In case anybody cares, here the second look day schedule:

8:30 – 9 am Check-In and Registration
9 – 9:30 am Welcome and Introductions (Auditorium)
9:30 – 10 am Curriculum Overview and Student Perspective (Auditorium)
10 – 10:30 am Introduction to Gross Anatomy (Auditorium)
10:30-10:45 “Ice Breaker”
10:45 – 11:15 am Introduction to Cardiac Physiology (Auditorium)
(11 am - 2 pm School Bookstore Open)
11:15 – 11:45 am Financial Aid Overview (Auditorium)
11:45 – 1 pm Lunch (LR-B)
1-2pm Problem-Based Learning Session
2 – 2:30 pm Introduction to Humanities (Auditorium)
2:30 – 3:15 pm Student Panel Q&A (Auditorium)
3:15 – 3:30 pm Closing Remarks (Auditorium)
3:30 pm Tours of On-Campus Housing (University Manor East) and Fitness Center

hardy said:
In case anybody cares, here the second look day schedule:

8:30 – 9 am Check-In and Registration
9 – 9:30 am Welcome and Introductions (Auditorium)
9:30 – 10 am Curriculum Overview and Student Perspective (Auditorium)
10 – 10:30 am Introduction to Gross Anatomy (Auditorium)
10:30-10:45 “Ice Breaker”
10:45 – 11:15 am Introduction to Cardiac Physiology (Auditorium)
(11 am - 2 pm School Bookstore Open)
11:15 – 11:45 am Financial Aid Overview (Auditorium)
11:45 – 1 pm Lunch (LR-B)
1-2pm Problem-Based Learning Session
2 – 2:30 pm Introduction to Humanities (Auditorium)
2:30 – 3:15 pm Student Panel Q&A (Auditorium)
3:15 – 3:30 pm Closing Remarks (Auditorium)
3:30 pm Tours of On-Campus Housing (University Manor East) and Fitness Center

interesting....i'm volunteering and i didn't know that schedule....they must be on top of things

Wow, seriously? That's the actual schedule?

Well, at least it seems like it could be interesting. :)

Anyone know if a rep from the financial aid office will actually be present?? I know talking to students is useful to give you an idea of average awards, but I would like the chance to ask a few specific questions that most students probably couldn't answer unless they are in a specific situation.

I can't believe it's just about a week away! I'm really looking forward to revisiting and meeting some future classmates, etc. See you all there!

FDoRoML said:
Wow, seriously? That's the actual schedule?

well, that's what they sent me. But seeing that nobody else received it (not even the volunteers) maybe I should not have posted it ;)

hardy said:
well, that's what they sent me.

<sniffle>
I feel so left out.
+pity+

Hey, you know someone on the planning committee or something? Never apologize for posting information (unless you are just messing with us!!). Part of the great benefit of SDN is this wonderful community of sharing. OK now, children, gather in a circle and let's pass the talking stick. :laugh:

FDoRoML said:
Hey, you know someone on the planning committee or something?

No, I got it from the MD/PhD office. So no need to feel bad :p

Has anyone gotten their confirmation of RSVP for the 2nd look day?
Also any good hints on where to stay in/near Hershey?

i received my confirmation but not a schedule. i'll be staying at the hershey garden inn...

I'm a PSU undergrad who got accepted into several schools, including PSU and U of Rochester. Right now, I am desperately torn between both schools ... I am hoping that second looks and financial stuff will help make my decision easier. But I'm wondering if anyone here has interviewed/been accepted at both. If so, how do you think the two compare? Socially, I can see myself fitting quite nicely at both schools. But, professionally speaking, should I consider Rochester since it has good rankings (esp in primary care)? Whatta guys think? :confused:

so are most of you guys staying at a hotel (march 31st - april 1st) or staying with a student host? i'm asking you guys this because i've yet to hear back from any student host about my accomadations and i'm thinking of just booking a hotel room. :confused: :)

cya guys soon! :D

I will be staying at the Hershey Lodge the night before the 2nd look day. Where is everyone else staying?

Question: What is the dress code for this event?? What is everyone else wearing? They didn't specify anything, so I would assume it is casual-ish.