Penn State private medical school?

Started by Membe7035
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Membe7035

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

so I was just going through the MSAR looking for more schools to possibly apply to when I came across Penn State. I specifically searched for med schools that are "private", so I was surprised to see Penn State here...

Is Penn State a private medical school/college of medicine, or is MSAR trying to trick me into applying here 😀 ?

Thanks
 
I do not have access to this info currently. But if you look at their accepted students (and how many are out of state) this should give you the answer your looking for.
 
There are several schools where the undergrad institution is a government funded public school, but the medical school is privately funded (and thus a private school). University of Pittsburgh is another example.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe Penn State (as well as Pitt and Temple) are technically "state-related." They receive some government funding, but they are legally private entities. Although the wikipedia page for Penn State Hershey says it's public.... :shrug: