Penn State vs. MUSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

friendlyg876

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. If tuition cost/ties to area/area itself all aren't factors of concern for me - what would you do? I am incredibly interested in doing dermatology (what ultimately matters to me most). I want to set myself up for having the greatest potential for success. Thanks!

MUSC
Pros
  • World News Rank: 56/ PD ranking list ~59-63
  • Higher ranked in research/ more research funding according to US world news
  • Highly ranked doximity dermatology residency program
  • Non-mandatory lectures
  • Close/convenient because I don't have to move

Cons
  • Students just seemed miserable/overworked when visiting
    • It could have just been the few people I talked to, but can anyone attest to MUSC's work-life balance or student happiness?
  • Quartile System: It is P/F- but having a 93% avg puts you in second quartile (hm). First quartile is like 95% or above. First two quartiles are reported to residency programs.
  • Non-public match list- I do know that 3 people every year match derm
  • Heavily encouraged to do MS at school for a research year
  • Unsure of how their disability services are/ accommodations are for students

Penn State
Pros
  • Has decently strong derm program- with pretty high volume of matches during some years (only 2 this year, but 6, 0, 5 matches in 3 prior years)
  • Can get a combined degree: MD/MBA or MD/MPH
  • Cool global health program
  • Was told the school is overall really accommodating for disabilities/ enjoyable to go to
  • Completely P/F with no internal rank or quartile system
  • 1.5 years of pre-clinical and summer break between M1-M2
  • Seems like they have very strong residency matches across the board

Cons
  • Unranked World News. PD ranking ~72
  • Middle of nowhere PA- not much to do.
  • Mandatory PBL meetings with group 8-10 AM, ~3 days a week for your entire first year. Mandatory humanities course on other day of week 9-11 AM.
  • Moving across country and I have to start school a month earlier

Ultimately - I just want to end up wherever will help me to best reach my career goals! I also want to go to a school where I feel like I will be happy and fit in well/ be supported by my school! Thanks for any and all insight SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Where do you possibly seeing yourself matching in the future? Penn state would open more northeast doors vs MUSC with the south. Both are great programs I believe!

Reactions: 1 users
I would try to see if you can get in contact with some more students and/or faculty at MUSC to hear more about disability resources, student life and happiness, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a little off topic, but I know someone who is mom went to MUSC (I’m not from the south) and she said it’s like the Premier medical school in South Carolina and is very well respected. Are you from Charleston? I am surprised you would want to move! People love charleston, its such a charming city, the weather is beautiful, the food scene is awesome. You would trade that for musty suburban PA?

• Haha
If your top priority is dermatology, MUSC may be a better fit for you since they have a highly ranked dermatology residency program and more research funding. On the other hand, Penn State seems to have a decently strong dermatology program with a good track record of residency matches in previous years.
Ultimately- becoming a derm is definitely my top priority and my biggest factor, so I appreciate that insight! MUSC's quartile system makes me more nervous- although it has a highly ranked derm residency program.

Where do you possibly seeing yourself matching in the future? Penn state would open more northeast doors vs MUSC with the south. Both are great programs I believe!
This is a very important point! Thank you. I would like to end up back in the northeast eventually, but I am willing to completely sacrifice future location for dermatology match, truthfully.

I would try to see if you can get in contact with some more students and/or faculty at MUSC to hear more about disability resources, student life and happiness, etc.
I think I need to do this as well- just hard to get in contact and find someone who uses these resources there specifically. If anyone on here does- please PM me! I got lucky in knowing someone from Penn State who does.

This is a little off topic, but I know someone who is mom went to MUSC (I’m not from the south) and she said it’s like the Premier medical school in South Carolina and is very well respected. Are you from Charleston? I am surprised you would want to move! People love charleston, its such a charming city, the weather is beautiful, the food scene is awesome. You would trade that for musty suburban PA?
I am not from here, but I do live here. I am kind of seeking a change/ trying not to factor in the areas at either school into my decision! When I do that- the schematic gets too complicated. Appreciate your reply!

I would argue Penn State due to P/F. Ranking does not really matter in this regard, match lists vary from year to year depending on the class interest in specialties, you may change interest in specialties, and not having quartiles may save you from being filtered out for programs in the near future. When a school has P/F and no ranking in the school, I would almost 7/10 always recommend that school.

I think I need to do this as well- just hard to get in contact and find someone who uses these resources there specifically. If anyone on here does- please PM me! I got lucky in knowing someone from Penn State who does.
I would just reach out to whoever leads the fb page/group me. They can probably connect you to the appropriate resources. Or search for the disability office yourself online or in person

Reactions: 1 user
I would argue Penn State due to P/F. Ranking does not really matter in this regard, match lists vary from year to year depending on the class interest in specialties, you may change interest in specialties, and not having quartiles may save you from being filtered out for programs in the near future. When a school has P/F and no ranking in the school, I would almost 7/10 always recommend that school.
Thank you for your insight! Do you think the quartiles are still that big of a deal if they only report if you fall into first or second quartile, but don't say anything if you are third or fourth? Thanks!

Thank you for your insight! Do you think the quartiles are still that big of a deal if they only report if you fall into first or second quartile, but don't say anything if you are third or fourth? Thanks!
It depends from program director to program director, but if you're aiming for a top-tier program in a competitive specialty, then being a "lower rank" will do more harm than good.

It depends from program director to program director, but if you're aiming for a top-tier program in a competitive specialty, then being a "lower rank" will do more harm than good.
Agreed, but at the same time since you’re interested in derm it could also really help your application by being in top quartile (versus being at a school that doesn’t rank). So depends whether you think that you can achieve that.

Assuming residency program directors know about the quartile system at your school, I think having that system and not getting into the top two quartiles may put you at a disadvantage.

How is the research between MUSC and Penn state? Are there current students you can talk with about this aspect? Having publications will make you stand out as an applicant. Which school will likely generate students with a few publications in peer-reviewed journals? I know individuals who matched into derm who had 7-15 publications (non-basic science research).

Assuming residency program directors know about the quartile system at your school, I think having that system and not getting into the top two quartiles may put you at a disadvantage.

How is the research between MUSC and Penn state? Are there current students you can talk with about this aspect? Having publications will make you stand out as an applicant. Which school will likely generate students with a few publications in peer-reviewed journals? I know individuals who matched into derm who had 7-15 publications (non-basic science research).
Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it! I will say that they both seem like they have decent research opportunities- MUSC has a flex phase part of their curriculum where you can do research uninterrupted for ~2 months, and Penn State requires a longitudinal research project. Students from Penn State seemed to indicate there were a ton of opportunities for them to hop on papers concerning competitive fields. MUSC is ranked 56 for research and students seem to be involve in a lot of posters/presentations - but I don't know what the US News rank in terms of research means? Is there a way for me to see student publishing/publications output by med school?

Agreed, but at the same time since you’re interested in derm it could also really help your application by being in top quartile (versus being at a school that doesn’t rank). So depends whether you think that you can achieve that.
Given this school specifically has a top quartile cut off of like 95% (I feel like that is so high?)- I am worried I won't be able to do that :'(
Hopefully I can be in second quartile- 94%-90%. I just feel like that is so high to have to constantly achieve / stress about in med school, although I should be able to do that.

Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it! I will say that they both seem like they have decent research opportunities- MUSC has a flex phase part of their curriculum where you can do research uninterrupted for ~2 months, and Penn State requires a longitudinal research project. Students from Penn State seemed to indicate there were a ton of opportunities for them to hop on papers concerning competitive fields. MUSC is ranked 56 for research and students seem to be involve in a lot of posters/presentations - but I don't know what the US News rank in terms of research means? Is there a way for me to see student publishing/publications output by med school?
To answer your US News Ranking question:

"Total federal research activity (0.30, previously 0.25): This is the total dollar amount of federal grants and contracts (direct costs plus facilities and administrative costs) recorded at each medical school and its affiliates, newly averaged between 2019 and 2020. Medical schools report these data annually to LCME, their accrediting body.
Average federal research activity per faculty member (0.10, previously 0.15): This is the total federal research activity described above divided by total full-time faculty members; newly calculated as an average of 2019 and 2020 quotients.
For the second consecutive year, U.S. News calculated both research activity indicators solely on medical school financing data that measures total federal research activity using information each medical school is required to file yearly with the LCME for fiscal years 2018-2019 and 2019-2020. Many medical school deans view this data as the most comprehensive, verifiable measure of total federal research activity available from medical schools. All medical schools separately reported this data to U.S. News from its LCME Part 1-A Schedule B form and nearly all supplied a PDF or equivalent of that part of the LCME form. Then U.S. News cross-checked each school's data to validate and verify its submission.
Sources of federally funded research include the National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Department of Defense – Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs, National Science Foundation, and the Department of Health and Human Services." (Source: https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/medical-schools-methodology)

There's no way for you to see publication output of current students, unless the medical school explicitly provides this data. Some schools value research and would provide data on their students' publications. But if it's not centralized, it'd be hard to keep track of. Can you reach out to the school and see if they have research events like an annual symposium? Or do they have information on their website specifically devoted to research accomplishments of current students?

2 months of research seems very short and will likely not produce much research productivity. It takes a bit of time to even draft a manuscript. I'm leaning more towards Penn State since you mentioned the longitudinal research that Penn State has and the fact that students mentioned numerous opportunities. Can you pubmed some of the current students to get a general feel?

Also, the quartile system at MUSC seems unnecessarily stressful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just by the way I emailed MUSC asking to see their match list and they sent me results from the past 3 years within a day or so. If that’s something that would be helpful in your decision I recommend you do the same