Penn State vs Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

boopdidonk

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I feel extremely lucky to be in this position, and am really torn between these two schools as the PTE deadline approaches. I'd appreciate any insight!

Rush:
Pros:
- Top 20 hospital + affiliated with Cook County - so many opportunities to explore specialties and learn from diverse patients
- I'm eager to live in a big city and explore during my early twenties! Chicago would be amazing, I love the diversity of the city (having diverse food/communities is important to me), and would allow my partner to move with me to find work in the city too
- Solid match list with a good amount of matches in competitive specialties that I'm interested in (eg; optho, ENT)
- Northwestern/UChicago are nearby if I want to do rotations there or if I want to network/do research
- School seems to have a lot of support for students/student groups and there's a lot of opportunities to work in the community
- Got along with a lot of the M1s and feel happy with the diversity in the student class

Cons:
- I'm from the East Coast and feel the brand name of Rush isn't as strong as Penn State (unsure if this is regional bias/perception speaking)
- Rush's match list leans towards the midwest/west coast, and I want to eventually end up practicing back in the east coast (although I wouldn't mind doing residency somewhere else and moving back to the east coast later)
- Chicago is far away from all my family and friends and it's quite cold/new
- Felt the admin were a bit snarky when I interviewed
- Research opportunities don't seem as strong as I would like

Penn State:
Pros:
- Well-established brand name and school, which may help with matching well down the line
- Strong match list with lots of prestigious matches, more places I was familiar with compared to Rush's match list
- 1.5 hour drive from CHOP/UPenn/Hopkins, so there's opportunities to rotate at some great institutions
- Better weather and closer to family
- Lots of humanities-focused student opportunities, which I find cool
- More NIH funding than Rush and seems to have slightly better research opportunities
- I do enjoy the beautiful nature around the school, although I'm unsure if I'd love it 24/7

Cons:
- Hershey, PA is really not my ideal place to spend my early twenties, especially as someone who values a lot of diverse communities/food/culture around me - this is a big con for me
- Would have to drive and bring my car, and partner and I would have to be long distance - we don't mind LDR but this might be an adjustment at first
- Hospital in Hershey is a lot smaller than Rush's hospital + Cook County, worried about not being exposed to as many diverse patients as I could in Chicago + I might need to drive far for rotations (unsure about this, would love any input from current students! 🙂)
- Although CHOP/UPenn/Hopkins are sort of close, they're still a long drive away
- Seems more primary care focused, and I don't think I want to do primary care at the moment

I believe both schools are P/F pre-clinical and don't do internal rankings, which is great!

Thank you so much for reading through this! I tried to be thorough and list as many qualities as I could, but I'm eager to gather feedback and I really appreciate your time!