UMD vs Rush vs Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

qwertyuiop32

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone. I am having a very difficult time choosing between these 3 medical programs each with its different pros and cons. I hope there are individuals on here who can provide some opinions or more information so that I can make a better-informed decision.

Rush
Pros
  • Aligns with the mission of what I want to do (mentorship, equity, volunteering)
  • P/F entirely with graded clinical (I saw a post from 2021 that compares Rush with UMD but I heard from the students that the P/F pre-clinical with no internal rankings is fairly new.
  • Top Ortho power-house

Cons
  • They have not had as many students match Ortho compared to these other 2 schools
  • Mainly focused on primary care whereas I am interested in surgical specialties or dermatology

UMD
Pros
  • Matches very well, well-regarded school, and tons of resources nearby (i.e JHU, Shock Trauma center)

Cons
  • Graded Pre-clinical
Penn State
Pros
  • Matches very well,, well-regarded school for sports medicine
Cons
  • Rural Area
  • Graded Pre-clincal

Summary: I have no ties to any of these areas/states. Financial does not really matter in this sense because they are all close to the same and my thinking is that if I want to pursue a medical program that will greatly benefit me then the money will pay itself out later. Please please give more insight / more information. I am at a standstill with all of these programs. They are all about equal with me.