Penn State vs. SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duckduckgoose

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very torn between the two. I know this is down to the wire, but I just received my Downstate acceptance two days ago.

As of now, I am leaning towards Penn State because I feel it provides an environment more conducive to studying, stronger sense of community, and more faculty support. Being able to roll out of bed and into class without having to take the train, etc. in the morning is also a huge plus. All in all, I just get the feeling that I will be able more comfortable there and believe the quiet environment will enable me to learn and perform better.

At Downstate, I have the feeling that I may have too many distractions that could potentially hinder my studies. However, Downstate's amazing clinical years and its lower tuition (approx 100k in savings over 4 years) have me very torn.

I know I will be able to match into great residencies from both schools provided I do well, and that alone has me leaning towards Penn State. My gut tells me I will be able to study better at Penn St. and that I will be more successful there. However, I am still on the fence.

I would appreciate any thoughts you can give me. Go with my gut feeling or take the cheaper route?

Members don't see this ad.

If the difference of indebtedness is upwards of 100k it should be an easy answer. What about living on campus at downstate? A train is a 10-20 minute commute if you're living in brooklyn for the most part. More importantly if you are worrying about distractions then it won't matter where you go, you can find distractions anywhere if you look for them. Downstate gives you a study area that is open 24/7, study there.

I wouldn't think twice about your decision, however good luck in deciding and let me know what you decide.

Very torn between the two. I know this is down to the wire, but I just received my Downstate acceptance two days ago.

As of now, I am leaning towards Penn State because I feel it provides an environment more conducive to studying, stronger sense of community, and more faculty support. Being able to roll out of bed and into class without having to take the train, etc. in the morning is also a huge plus. All in all, I just get the feeling that I will be able more comfortable there and believe the quiet environment will enable me to learn and perform better.

At Downstate, I have the feeling that I may have too many distractions that could potentially hinder my studies. However, Downstate's amazing clinical years and its lower tuition (approx 100k in savings over 4 years) have me very torn.

I know I will be able to match into great residencies from both schools provided I do well, and that alone has me leaning towards Penn State. My gut tells me I will be able to study better at Penn St. and that I will be more successful there. However, I am still on the fence.

I would appreciate any thoughts you can give me. Go with my gut feeling or take the cheaper route?

$100k saving A LOT!!!! I would go for $100k cheaper one considering that both schools are approximately in the same tier. Both "too much noise" and "too quiet" are distractions to me. It is ultimately up to you to study hard or not.

I would choose a CHEAPER route!!!!

I'm also deciding on two schools "Boston U" and "U of Wisconsin" if you can also help me out...

Boston: Big nice city with great subway system, lots of fun, P/F system, nice hospital, cheaper (relatively) about $15,000 over four years (not so much!)

Wisconsin: higher rank, letter graded for all four years, 3th and 4th year rotations all over the state (rural medicine)

I have a day left to make a final decision. Thanks and good luck with your decision!