Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apparition

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well according to the wall of fame, they've finally started sending out decisions.
Congrats to PhillyEaglesFan! Btw, how did your interview go?

Anyone else desperately waiting for a response from them?

Members don't see this ad.

Apparition said:
Well according to the wall of fame, they've finally started sending out decisions.
Congrats to PhillyEaglesFan! Btw, how did your interview go?

Anyone else desperately waiting for a response from them?

i definately am! :eek:

bluenebula83 said:
i definately am! :eek:

that was my face too, when i found out about it, i already started thinking that it was all a dream. when did you interview? have you checked mail today?

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparition said:
that was my face too, when i found out about it, i already started thinking that it was all a dream. when did you interview? have you checked mail today?

hey apparition, ya i did check my mail today--nothing yet. :scared:

i interviewed on...9/28. i'm also an out-of-stater. i'm assuming that mite have an impact. also the fact that i can't find admissions stats on penn state ANYWHERE sorta sucks. i'm hoping they accept 99.9% of the applicant pool. :laugh:

gluck dude/dudette! :luck:

bluenebula83 said:

i interviewed on...9/28. i'm also an out-of-stater. i'm assuming that mite have an impact. also the fact that i can't find admissions stats on penn state ANYWHERE sorta sucks. i'm hoping they accept 99.9% of the applicant pool. :laugh:

At the interview, they mentioned that they accepted approximately 1/3 of the interviewees. :scared: :scared: :scared: Good luck to you too! :luck:

Apparition said:
At the interview, they mentioned that they accepted approximately 1/3 of the interviewees. :scared: :scared: :scared: Good luck to you too! :luck:

btw when did u interview there? how'd u find ur experience? personally, i really enjoyed it and was impressed by the trauma I center they have (especially since i work as an EMT myself).

i also remember my first interviewer being the chaplain there. it wasn't too hot cuz it seemed he didn't really ask alotta questions. but my second interviewer, a behavioral scientist, was definately much better. she was great to talk to and had some interesting questions based on some of the answers i told her.

:luck:

I didn't get anything today! But it's good to know they've finally started sending stuff out. Of course now I'm going to be crazy about checking the mail again like I was with Drexel! And I'm going out of town Thursday afternoon for the whole weekend! lol

(btw I interviewed 9/19)

bluenebula83 said:

I INTERVIEWED ON 9/28!!!!!!!!! ...who are you....

i was the first male to go to interviews

i'm not expecting anything good from them due to mr. jerkface interviewer....all the students saying the interviews were stress free lied to me!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you weren't that kid that also had that guy...i felt bad for the both of us

C.P. Jones said:
I INTERVIEWED ON 9/28!!!!!!!!! ...who are you....

i was the first male to go to interviews

i'm not expecting anything good from them due to mr. jerkface interviewer....all the students saying the interviews were stress free lied to me!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you weren't that kid that also had that guy...i felt bad for the both of us

HI! i was one of the two kids who did the morning interview. ya sorry dude, but my interviewer wasn't stressful at all. but u know wat, it mite actually work to ur favor. it'll show that you can handle stressful situations.

my first interviewer was the chaplain and the second one was a behavioral scientist (i loved her!). but yea gluck to all of us! :D

bluenebula83 said:
HI! i was one of the two kids who did the morning interview. ya sorry dude, but my interviewer wasn't stressful at all. but u know wat, it mite actually work to ur favor. it'll show that you can handle stressful situations.

my first interviewer was the chaplain and the second one was a behavioral scientist (i loved her!). but yea gluck to all of us! :D

let's just say i didn't handle that stressful situation too well :)

....were you the first girl that went....meaning you were the other person at the same time as me?

to PhillyEaglesFan: sorry 'bout last night, mwhaahahahahhahahahha (go cowboys :D ) i do feel bad for you guys though...to an extent

edit: and congrats! sry for not saying that b4

C.P. Jones said:
let's just say i didn't handle that stressful situation too well :)

....were you the first girl that went....meaning you were the other person at the same time as me?

to PhillyEaglesFan: sorry 'bout last night, mwhaahahahahhahahahha (go cowboys :D ) i do feel bad for you guys though...to an extent

edit: and congrats! sry for not saying that b4

i was that DUDE in a blue suit/blue tie.

bluenebula83 said:
i was that DUDE in a blue suit/blue tie.

lol, sry, so you were a bit after me...i don't remember much from that day, just girl that was w/ my interview time and guy w/ crutches...i tried to blank the rest out...if i don't remember it happening, they won't, and i'll still have a shot!

g/l

bluenebula83 said:
btw when did u interview there? how'd u find ur experience? personally, i really enjoyed it and was impressed by the trauma I center they have (especially since i work as an EMT myself).

i also remember my first interviewer being the chaplain there. it wasn't too hot cuz it seemed he didn't really ask alotta questions. but my second interviewer, a behavioral scientist, was definately much better. she was great to talk to and had some interesting questions based on some of the answers i told her.

I interviewed the first week of Oct. I totally loved it, most of all the energy of the med center. Students seemed really cool, stopped by to wish us luck.
I haven't seen the trauma center but the sim lab was awesome. I just got a really positive feeling about that school and hershey is kinda nice in its own way too, all green, clean. It would be a great break from my current location to live there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 10/19.. I had a rough interviewer too (I think from histology)... he rattled off questions without really listening to my full answer. Being my first interview, I was nervous and coming out of the gate cold. And I didn't feel a good connection between us like I usually do with people. He also did not speak English very well, so I had to really break down everything for him..

The second interviewer was a LOT better.

I got the 2 questions: 1). What would I do if I could not be a doctor? 2). I need to tell my patient that he/she has a terminal illness. How would I go about doing this?

I felt like I did OK, but who knows what he was looking for?

Looks like I'll have to wait till the end of December for a decision...

C.P. Jones said:
lol, sry, so you were a bit after me...i don't remember much from that day, just girl that was w/ my interview time and guy w/ crutches...i tried to blank the rest out...if i don't remember it happening, they won't, and i'll still have a shot!

g/l

hey guys!! i was there on 9/28 too!! i'm trying to remember who was there and i remember an older woman, a guy with crutches and i'm trying to remember the morning interviewees, i interviewed in the afternoon. i'm scared about penn state's decision!! :scared:

LT2 said:
hey guys!! i was there on 9/28 too!! i'm trying to remember who was there and i remember an older woman, a guy with crutches and i'm trying to remember the morning interviewees, i interviewed in the afternoon. i'm scared about penn state's decision!! :scared:

wow, i've had sdn ppl at 3 of 4 interviews so far

guy w/ crutches is the only real person i can remember...and girl that interviewed at my time, but i don't even actually remember her past that....

Thank you guys! I live only 15 miles from the med school, so that's probably why I'm the first :) I'm sure there will be mail coming for you soon. It's a thick envelope with the acceptance slip, a housing brochure, and student health forms.

My interview actually didn't go that well, I thought. I had an interviewer from hematology who didn't smile much or seem to think much of my answers. I felt like I was rambling nonsensically. The second interviewer was much nicer, so nice, in fact, that we didn't seem to go in that great depth.

And the Eagles deserved to lose :)

I asked this question on one of the other penn state threads, but for those of you who interview/invited for interviews how much time was between you being "complete" and when you were invited for an interview.

I'm still at work but I just called my husband and he says nothing came in the mail today. I'm in Philadelphia and interviewed on 9/19. Anybody else hear today?

please excuse me in case i missed it, but is everyone talking about the penn state jefferson med program for high school seniors?

reddyjs said:
please excuse me in case i missed it, but is everyone talking about the penn state jefferson med program for high school seniors?

no, just regular m.d....are they taking forever for that too...or is jefferson picking up the pace for penn state

I'm applying for the program and they send final letters in the beginning of april. Deadline is Nov 30th and there are 2 interviews (one with penn state and one with jefferson). Definitely not as drawn out as regular MD.

looks like you've got some time

good luck w/ that....hopefully you can skip out on this dumb process

I heart Biology said:
I asked this question on one of the other penn state threads, but for those of you who interview/invited for interviews how much time was between you being "complete" and when you were invited for an interview.

complete 10/28, invite 11/9, so a little under two weeks.

do you guys know when penn state started interviewing? they asked me to schedule my interview withing 8 weeks of the invite but i wanted to schedule it with my drexel interview which is in ~10 weeks. now i'm kinda worried that i'm waiting too long and it's gonna land me a waitlist spot.
-mota

Have you tried checking the interview feedback forum to see when the earliest person interviewed replied. I know it's not the best way to figure it out, but it should give you some idea of the general time frame they started interviewing for the year

DaMota said:
complete 10/28, invite 11/9, so a little under two weeks.

do you guys know when penn state started interviewing? they asked me to schedule my interview withing 8 weeks of the invite but i wanted to schedule it with my drexel interview which is in ~10 weeks. now i'm kinda worried that i'm waiting too long and it's gonna land me a waitlist spot.
-mota

the first day offered was sept 12th, and they interview every Mon, Wed, Fri

So I didn't get anything in the mail today. It's now been about 9 weeks since I interviewed. So I called to find out if they're backed up or something. The woman wasn't so nice this time. She said, "there's nothing I can tell you." I asked if they're backed up, and she said, "It goes to committee, and when they make a decision you will receive it in the mail." So I said yeah but are they backed up, because it's been 9 weeks? And she just repeated the exact same thing about the committee.

So whatever.

tigress said:
So I didn't get anything in the mail today. It's now been about 9 weeks since I interviewed. So I called to find out if they're backed up or something. The woman wasn't so nice this time. She said, "there's nothing I can tell you." I asked if they're backed up, and she said, "It goes to committee, and when they make a decision you will receive it in the mail." So I said yeah but are they backed up, because it's been 9 weeks? And she just repeated the exact same thing about the committee.

So whatever.

ya their secretaries are kind of robots. even when i called to schedule an interview theywere incredibly rude. but thank god you have those 2 acceptances. i thought you were pretty set on either drexel or jeff no?
-mota

DaMota said:
ya their secretaries are kind of robots. even when i called to schedule an interview theywere incredibly rude. but thank god you have those 2 acceptances. i thought you were pretty set on either drexel or jeff no?
-mota

heh, I really don't know. At this point I'm leaning towards AECOM if I get in there (hope I do!). But really, it's up in the air. It's a weird feeling. I like being more certain about my future. I know I'm lucky to at least be certain of having somewhere to go.

But I'm interested in hearing from Penn State mostly for financial reasons, since I'm in-state. I'll hold on to everything I get until I find out about financial aid. That wouldn't be an issue at AECOM because of a scholarship through my undergrad.

I heart Biology said:

I was complete on 10/6 and got an invitation today (11/17). I'm from Oregon, so I'm out of state (and very non-traditional).

robh said:
I was complete on 10/6 and got an invitation today (11/17). I'm from Oregon, so I'm out of state (and very non-traditional).

I got an interview invite today, 11/17, too. I am really nervous. Can any of you guys share your interview experiences ta Penn State? Thanks :oops:

Does anyone know approximately how many people Penn State interviews and accepts? Just curious..

for 2004

Applications
Pennsylvania 907
Non-Pennsylvania Residents 4,704
Total 5,611
Interviews
Pennsylvania 264
Non-Pennsylvania Residents 654
Total 918

I interviewed on 10-12 (about 6 weeks ago) and I have not heard anything from Penn State. I am waiting very patiently.

jzelones said:
I interviewed on 10-12 (about 6 weeks ago) and I have not heard anything from Penn State. I am waiting very patiently.

Same here but 10/19. sigh. unrequited love.

Freakedout said:
for 2004

Applications
Pennsylvania 907
Non-Pennsylvania Residents 4,704
Total 5,611
Interviews
Pennsylvania 264
Non-Pennsylvania Residents 654
Total 918

hi, if u don't mind me asking..where did u get these numbers from? only b/c i've tried EVERYWHERE looking for them. and also, i remember the lady at the admissions office saying they accept 1/3 of the ppl they interview there.

its on their site... goto prospective students. and then admissions info and then class profile

DrKitty said:
I got an interview invite today, 11/17, too. I am really nervous. Can any of you guys share your interview experiences ta Penn State? Thanks :oops:

Drkitty, When were you notified about being complete?

to those of you who have been accepted, any tips for us future interviewers? especially the "why penn state" question. i haven't come up with anything more than "i like chocolate"
-mota

DaMota said:
to those of you who have been accepted, any tips for us future interviewers? especially the "why penn state" question. i haven't come up with anything more than "i like chocolate"
-mota

what about your secondary answer to that question

C.P. Jones said:
what about your secondary answer to that question

haven't looked back to my secondary yet.
-mota

edit: oh, right, the 50 word answer questions. i didn't put too much time into those, to be honest.

actually disregard my last question, i just looked at my secondary and realized i have plenty of things to say. i haven't really started prepping for interviews yet cuz they're so far away. thanks for the tip C.P.
-mota

Has anyone gotten out of the "continue to review" category yet and been invited for an interview? I'm (not so) patiently waiting. :)

Apparition said:
Any news?

not me, seven weeks post-interview and nothing. i thought for sure we would hear this week after phillyeaglesfan heard on tuesday. anybody??

annamarie said:
Has anyone gotten out of the "continue to review" category yet and been invited for an interview? I'm (not so) patiently waiting. :)

I think in most cases the "continue to review" category is just Penn State's unique way of saying "rejected". I applied there last year and was put on the "continue to review" list soon after they received my materials. I don't recall getting a formal rejection letter from them, so, who knows, maybe they're still reviewing my application.

*shrugs shoulders*

I don't like chocolate anyway. :cool:

Severus said:
I think in most cases the "continue to review" category is just Penn State's unique way of saying "rejected". I applied there last year and was put on the "continue to review" list soon after they received my materials. I don't recall getting a formal rejection letter from them, so, who knows, maybe they're still reviewing my application.

*shrugs shoulders*

I don't like chocolate anyway. :cool:

Does anyone else know about this? I am hoping that some people get interviews in that category being that I am currently in it

I heart Biology, I recieved the "complete" e-mail on Nov 7, and got an interview invite on Nov 17 :)

I heart Biology said:
Does anyone else know about this? I am hoping that some people get interviews in that category being that I am currently in it

i was on that list last year as well, and then much later (this spring) i was rejected.....this year interviewed....i have no more info on it (i do, but they'll kill me if i tell you) (don't tell them i said that!)

Wait, so nobody else has heard? Just one person? That's weird and absurd. It's been 9 weeks since I interviewed! I've been out of town since Thursday, so I don't know if I got anything, but I'm assuming I didn't since nobody else did. Weird.