Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That *is* really odd. I was hoping I could co-celebrate with some future classmates this week.

For what it's worth, the actual letter was dated November 10 and signed in ink by Dean Davis; received it on November 15. Maybe it's taking them a while to put the acceptance packets together?

Members don't see this ad.

Nah, I got back from out of town and had a letter waiting for me in the mail. Not sure if it came Friday or Saturday. In any case I got wait-listed.

I have to admit, I'm not too upset. I'm more surprised and mystified. I mean, I guess my first two acceptances made me a bit arrogant, but it's my state school for crying out loud. I think I have quite a good application. This mostly worries me in terms of one school that doesn't have rolling admissions that I'm waiting to hear from, because at this point it might be my first choice. So that sort of sucks. I'm back on being extremely worried rather than mostly hopeful.

Good luck to everybody else. My letter is also dated Nov. 10, and postmarked Nov. 16.

Man, tigress, I just don't get Penn State. That totally sucks. They seem to have no love for their in-state applicants. :rolleyes:

One of my advisors told me a while back that they tend to ding people with higher MCAT scores. I thought she was hitting the bong at the time, but I'm starting to think she might have been on to something.

Good luck with the rest of your app. cycle! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Severus. I'm lucky to have other options at this point. But I have to agree that Penn State is quite weird. I had two excellent interviews there (actually in my first one the interviewer said "you won't have any trouble getting in here, so let me try to convince you to come"...but I place no faith in that sort of thing).

tigress said:
Thanks Severus. I'm lucky to have other options at this point. But I have to agree that Penn State is quite weird. I had two excellent interviews there (actually in my first one the interviewer said "you won't have any trouble getting in here, so let me try to convince you to come"...but I place no faith in that sort of thing).

Sorry, Tigress. Did they know that your husband goes to school in Philly? Maybe they just thought that you'd rather go to school in the same city.

It sucks that they lead you to believe that you're in. It's not the same but I had a job interview where for about an hour after a 15 min interview, they explained to me the benefits, workplace policies, etc. I never heard from them.

Does anyone know what PSU waitlist movement is like?

i got in!! my parents called with the news last night! i'm excited it was one of my top choices out of all the places i interviewed!! :D

tigress, i think they're crazy to have waitlisted you! if you're interested (i know you liked AECOM and a few others) i think their waitlist moves. i had a friend who was waitlisted last year and he's now a MSI.

edit: for those wondering, i interviewed 9/28

LT2 said:
i got in!! my parents called with the news last night! i'm excited it was one of my top choices out of all the places i interviewed!! :D

tigress, i think they're crazy to have waitlisted you! if you're interested (i know you liked AECOM and a few others) i think their waitlist moves. i had a friend who was waitlisted last year and he's now a MSI.

sry to hear that tigress....at least you're already in elsewhere!

and congrats LT2! I just remembered that we interviewed on that same day when you put the edit, so thank you for doing so....(no news yet, maybe tomorrow?)

congrats LT2! that's really awesome, especially since it's a top choice for you! :thumbup:

LT2 said:

LT2, congrats! I was put on the waitlist as well-do you happen to know when your MSI friend was accepted off the waitlist (pre or post May 15th)? Thanks.

J Feelgood said:
LT2, congrats! I was put on the waitlist as well-do you happen to know when your MSI friend was accepted off the waitlist (pre or post May 15th)? Thanks.

Sorry Feelgood. When did you interview?

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

I got wait-listed...I called my home:
Me: hi, did i get any mail
Mom: "yes, hershey" (a bit sad sounding)
Me: oh
Mom: wait-list
Me: oh, wow, i thought i was going to be rejected
Mom: ahaha, that's good then

I haven't read the letter....tigress: have you called to ask where on the wait-list you are, or does the letter say? (i won't be home for a little bit)

i'm thinking i'll call them tomorrow, but they will probably yell at me for calling as usual

well, at least there's still a chance.....so in summary so far out of 4 interviews: 2 waitlists, 1 hold, and 1 will never review my app

seriously...this kinda shows that it's not all about interviews cuz seriously, mine was terrible....i blanked, i had no idea what to say, questions were asked, answers weren't given......idk how i'm waitlisted :rolleyes: :D

i still love you PS :love:

I got waitlisted too. I'm so fed up with this process, I feel like withdrawing my application. Does anyone know anything about their waitlist? Is it ranked, does it move? I can't understand from the letter whether they start making decision after may 15 or before? Do they reject from the waitlist or does it just expire if you don't get in? Feel like :mad: :scared: :( :confused: :rolleyes:

J Feelgood said:

thanks everyone!

i'll keep my fingers crossed for the waitlisters, SDN people would be awesome for classmates...

regarding my MSI friend... he was informed of his acceptance off the waitlist pre may 15. i will email him about details for those of you wondering... i'll post as soon as i find anything out. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year people were accepted through the beginning of August. Hang in there if you want Hershey.

question:

so i just got home to look at this letter, it says my file was placed on the "Hold List"....is this what everyone else's says?

Or is this the same type of hold that i have at UConn where I am not on the waitlist, and am in some sort of limbo.

Also, they say they will only consider info PRESENTLY in the file...does that mean they will be mad if i send letters of rec, which i was planning on doing (so i'll just not send them to PS?)

thx

Does PSU actually reject people post-interview or they don't have the guts?

C.P. Jones said:
so i just got home to look at this letter, it says my file was placed on the "Hold List"....is this what everyone else's says?
yep. that's what mine says..

and an outside shot at the rose bowl, depending on what happens this week.

i have a bunch of friends who are med students at hershey and drive up to the main campus on weekend for the football games - it's like a mass exodus.

i still like other responses as to if your letter says hold or actually says waitlist, as hold and waitlist are diff. at other schools.......

thx angie

C.P. Jones said:
i still like other responses as to if your letter says hold or actually says waitlist, as hold and waitlist are diff. at other schools.......

thx angie

Mine says hold. Penn State's website says there's three post-interview options: Acceptance, Hold List, Rejected, so hold = waitlist :(

Apparition said:
Mine says hold. Penn State's website says there's three post-interview options: Acceptance, Hold List, Rejected, so hold = waitlist :(

website...hmmmm...i never thought about that! thx....ok, so i guess there's a shot. I'm gonna call them this afternoon to get more info

C.P. Jones said:
website...hmmmm...i never thought about that! thx....ok, so i guess there's a shot. I'm gonna call them this afternoon to get more info

Could you post here when you find something out?

Does anyone know how many people they accept to fill their class? I just interviewed their yesterday, but they never gave of this info so I was just curious if anyone knew. Thanks!

~ 110, I believe.

SuzieQ3417 said:
Does anyone know how many people they accept to fill their class? I just interviewed their yesterday, but they never gave of this info so I was just curious if anyone knew. Thanks!

I just called to get info on this "hold list"

it is not ranked and they said it is a little diff. than a waitlist in that they will re-review apps after they go through whatever they have now. no decision has been made as of yet, and they will come up w/ a decision later (bad or good). sadly, they won't take any updates, new LoRs, etc.....which i think is dumb as many things can change in that time (oh, and of course they'll take updated transcripts as the letter states)

PhillyEaglesFan said:
~ 110, I believe.
I meant how many people total they end up accepting in order to fill their class...including those who choose to go elsewhere. For instance, my state school accepts around 200 or so to fill a class of 96. Sorry, I probably didn't word my question very well. Anyone know how many for Penn State?

SuzieQ3417 said:
I meant how many people total they end up accepting in order to fill their class...including those who choose to go elsewhere. For instance, my state school accepts around 200 or so to fill a class of 96. Sorry, I probably didn't word my question very well. Anyone know how many for Penn State?

i'm pretty sure the lady at the admissions office said they accept 1/3 of the people they interview. since they interview around 900 peeps, i guess they accept 300.

:D

bluenebula83 said:
i'm pretty sure the lady at the admissions office said they accept 1/3 of the people they interview. since they interview around 900 peeps, i guess they accept 300.

:D

I DIDN'T MAKE A ONE IN THREE CUT!!!!!!!! wow, i really am dumb :(

C.P. Jones said:

that's okay, you're in good company :p ;)

C.P. Jones said:
Aren't you on the "hold" list? That means that you could still be in the 1/3 that eventually get accepted. Don't give up yet! :luck:

A first-year told me that of his PBL group, about half of the people were accepted off the hold list. So, I guess come May 15, they'll accept like another 150 people.
As for not being about to update application after being placed on hold... makes me want to cry. They seemed so much nicer than that.

wistarrat said:
A first-year told me that of his PBL group, about half of the people were accepted off the hold list. So, I guess come May 15, they'll accept like another 150 people.
As for not being about to update application after being placed on hold... makes me want to cry. They seemed so much nicer than that.

i wonder what would happen if i sent stuff anyway?.....but the last thing i would want to do is make them mad...and know who i am instead of a non IDed phone caller

i really wish we an update since i'd be in that portion that doesn't get off the list at this point...i really need to tell them what i've been doing!

I got a letter saying they put me in the "re-review" pile. Is it hopeless now?

Jon Davis said:
I got a letter saying they put me in the "re-review" pile. Is it hopeless now?

Post-interview?

hey,
im a first year med student at penn state now, and as i was reading ur stuff about being put on the waitlist... i could totally relate. so here it goes: had an interview in november last year. had two interviewers, one who was totally nice to me, the other who was rough and made me feel like it didnt go so well either. i ended up getting placed on hold (after i called the office about 5 times... which i dont think they like... if u call, dont say your name, cuz i truly believe that they do not like it). the waitlist letter was so dry, and impersonal. i didnt think i had a chance, and was so upset that i banned hershey's chocolate entirely cuz i felt so rejected.
HOWEVER, after i cooled down a bit, i started debating whether i should just write them something to show them i still want to go there. Although i heard from the office and other sources that they do not want to recieve things, i emailed some of the students that i met during my interview there, to get a feel for what i should do. basically one of the students sent out an email to all the other students asking those that were put on hold, what they actually did to get in. i tried looking for the email, but couldnt find it. but what i can tell u is that they all updated their files with additional letters of interest/intent, got additional letters of recommendation from teachers or whatever, and updated them on service activities, jobs, etc. everyone that i know, including myself, who got off that list did something extra afterward. i dont think anyone though called the office or bothered them in that way. i sure didnt after i called them all those times just to get waitlisted. regardless, i think its a really good idea to send them a letter. i would send them a letter now, just cuz i know they will be making some decisions around december. (i got waitlisted in january... so i didnt talk to them at all until may, when i sent in an additional letter of rec from another teacher (who i got a B in his class, but in knew he would write me an awesome letter) and i wrote a letter of interest a week before may 15th (cuz i knew that more spots would open up then). besides dec., i dont think they review the waitlist till after may 15th, so i wouldnt bother in between then for no reason. i actually just kept my distance, sent in meaningful stuff at the right time, and got off that waitlist. everyone got called on june 13th... with just a few in the next two weeks after that. so, im sure they make their decisions and notify ppl in packs. i know others that kept calling the office, and talking to lubbers practically begging to get in, and they didnt. so i think that approach isnt a good idea at all! ok, so now that i wrote a book on this thing, i will stop. i just wanted to give hope and some advice to some of you out there that reallly wanna go to penn state, but might feel like u were rejected, or that there is no way. if u have any questions, pm me. good luck, dont lose hope or feel bad. this process is ugly and stupid. everyone knows that.

C.P. Jones said:
i wonder what would happen if i sent stuff anyway?.....but the last thing i would want to do is make them mad...and know who i am instead of a non IDed phone caller

i really wish we an update since i'd be in that portion that doesn't get off the list at this point...i really need to tell them what i've been doing!

Macamarna, thanks so much for all the info and hope!

I also stopped eating hershey's chocolate after I got my "hold list" letter, it's just not the same anymore. But I will definitely be writing to them.

Do you know what percentage of your class approx. was accepted off the waitlist? Is the letter of interest more appropriate right now than the letter of intent?

Thanks!

macamarna said:
hey,
im a first year med student at penn state now, and as i was reading ur stuff about being put on the waitlist... i could totally relate. so here it goes: had an interview in november last year. had two interviewers, one who was totally nice to me, the other who was rough and made me feel like it didnt go so well either. i ended up getting placed on hold (after i called the office about 5 times... which i dont think they like... if u call, dont say your name, cuz i truly believe that they do not like it). the waitlist letter was so dry, and impersonal. i didnt think i had a chance, and was so upset that i banned hershey's chocolate entirely cuz i felt so rejected.
HOWEVER, after i cooled down a bit, i started debating whether i should just write them something to show them i still want to go there. Although i heard from the office and other sources that they do not want to recieve things, i emailed some of the students that i met during my interview there, to get a feel for what i should do. basically one of the students sent out an email to all the other students asking those that were put on hold, what they actually did to get in. i tried looking for the email, but couldnt find it. but what i can tell u is that they all updated their files with additional letters of interest/intent, got additional letters of recommendation from teachers or whatever, and updated them on service activities, jobs, etc. everyone that i know, including myself, who got off that list did something extra afterward. i dont think anyone though called the office or bothered them in that way. i sure didnt after i called them all those times just to get waitlisted. regardless, i think its a really good idea to send them a letter. i would send them a letter now, just cuz i know they will be making some decisions around december. (i got waitlisted in january... so i didnt talk to them at all until may, when i sent in an additional letter of rec from another teacher (who i got a B in his class, but in knew he would write me an awesome letter) and i wrote a letter of interest a week before may 15th (cuz i knew that more spots would open up then). besides dec., i dont think they review the waitlist till after may 15th, so i wouldnt bother in between then for no reason. i actually just kept my distance, sent in meaningful stuff at the right time, and got off that waitlist. everyone got called on june 13th... with just a few in the next two weeks after that. so, im sure they make their decisions and notify ppl in packs. i know others that kept calling the office, and talking to lubbers practically begging to get in, and they didnt. so i think that approach isnt a good idea at all! ok, so now that i wrote a book on this thing, i will stop. i just wanted to give hope and some advice to some of you out there that reallly wanna go to penn state, but might feel like u were rejected, or that there is no way. if u have any questions, pm me. good luck, dont lose hope or feel bad. this process is ugly and stupid. everyone knows that.

I just wanted to clarify something. The letter I got in the mail was to inform me that my application was put into the "Continue to Review" pile and that I will be informed whether I get an interview "at a later date". Did anyone else get this letter before an interview?

I think they review a batch of apps at a time for each interview block. After they finish evaluating the entire batch. Then they send those favorably reviewed in the continue to review pile until it is time for invitations. Is this what happens or is this nothing more than a theory?

EDIT: After doing some research on SDN on this, its about a 50/50 chance. Halfway to rejection and halfway to invitation. Many people from SDN get put on this list, I wonder why? Penn State sucks anyway. (I'll probably change my tune if I get an invite. haha)

hey,
dont worry about it. i had a friend who was put on the same hold list for an interview, like u. he got that in january and ended up getting an interview letter in feb and interviewed in march. so, what it really means is that they like u enough not to reject u liek they probably did to a bunch of other ppl. if i were u, i would write them a letter if u dont hear anything by january. make the letter show that u know about the school and would be a great fit for X,Y, Z reasons. u have to back yourself up for sure. if u still hate them though, then maybe u shouldnt bother! ;) good luck.

Jon Davis said:
I just wanted to clarify something. The letter I got in the mail was to inform me that my application was put into the "Continue to Review" pile and that I will be informed whether I get an interview "at a later date". Did anyone else get this letter before an interview?

I think they review a batch of apps at a time for each interview block. After they finish evaluating the entire batch. Then they send those favorably reviewed in the continue to review pile until it is time for invitations. Is this what happens or is this nothing more than a theory?

EDIT: After doing some research on SDN on this, its about a 50/50 chance. Halfway to rejection and halfway to invitation. Many people from SDN get put on this list, I wonder why? Penn State sucks anyway. (I'll probably change my tune if I get an invite. haha)

i dont know specifics, but theres a good handful of us that got off that list. as for letter of intent vs interest, that just depends whether you intend on going there over other schools. if thats your number one choice, send them a letter of intent for sure. but if u have another school as your first choice i would write them saying youre still very interested in attending... rather than something to the point of, if u accept me, i will be come. i wrote them a letter of interest, cuz i wrote an intent letter to a school in my home state that i wanted to go to. seems like that didnt sway penn state's decision toward accepting someone else who fully intended to go there over me, u know? so yeah, be honest, or careful with that. cuz med schools do talk with one another, especially around may 15th when things start moving a lot. if u are accepted say at penn state, and had already written a letter of intent... but another school is thinking to send u an acceptance letter later on after may 15th, out of courtesy they call the other school and let them know. so, this is where it can get tricky, cuz your top choice school can call penn state for example, and penn state could tell them that u had sent a letter of intent, and that could in turn affect your chances at the other school, u know what im saying? hope it made sense, i read it back, and it was kinda confusing, but whatever, hope it made sense. ok, wish u all the best! good luck, have fun and relax. i wish i didnt stress so much before, cuz looking back, it all works out anyway. trust me. :)

Apparition said:
Macamarna, thanks so much for all the info and hope!

I also stopped eating hershey's chocolate after I got my "hold list" letter, it's just not the same anymore. But I will definitely be writing to them.

Do you know what percentage of your class approx. was accepted off the waitlist? Is the letter of interest more appropriate right now than the letter of intent?

Thanks!

thanks a lot macamarna!!!

i'll definitely send updates/a letter of interest, but probably not til the end of this month since i'll be way too busy. PS sounds like a wonderful place to be....but I would appreciate an acceptance from somewhere b4 that mcat!

Thanks for the advice Macamarna. :)

I got the "on-hold" letter today and promptly withdrew as I would not be attending there after getting into Pitt. Good luck everyone, hope you all get in...

Jim

JDWflash44 said:
I got the "on-hold" letter today and promptly withdrew as I would not be attending there after getting into Pitt. Good luck everyone, hope you all get in...

Jim

Thanks! Congrats on Pitt! :)

I have been waiting 7 weeks post interview for a response from Penn State. I can't stand waiting. I keep checking my mail for big packages. Usually there are some but they are for my roommate who is applying to law school.