Penn vs. Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Walshy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just in case I have to make the decision between Penn and Stony Brook, I want to be ready. Being a non-NY resident I can pay out of state tuition for the first year and then in-state for the last 3 years at Stony Brook so it's significantly cheaper than Penn (a private school). Im wondering if the higher cost of Penn can be justified?

So far I have gathered some info to help me make this decision should it be necessary:

1. Penn has a better name in the real world
2. Both have a great dental education and attract intelligent students
3. Both receive about the same funding from the NIH
4. Both are great for specializing
5. Penn has a more cultural surrounding area
6. Stony Brook is significantly cheaper

Is there anything else I should consider? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Just in case I have to make the decision between Penn and Stony Brook, I want to be ready. Being a non-NY resident I can pay out of state tuition for the first year and then in-state for the last 3 years at Stony Brook so it's significantly cheaper than Penn (a private school). Im wondering if the higher cost of Penn can be justified?

So far I have gathered some info to help me make this decision should it be necessary:

1. Penn has a better name in the real world
2. Both have a great dental education and attract intelligent students
3. Both receive about the same funding from the NIH
4. Both are great for specializing
5. Penn has a more cultural surrounding area
6. Stony Brook is significantly cheaper

Is there anything else I should consider? Thanks in advance.

1. Penn doesn't have that great of a name in the layman's eye. Most confuse it with Penn St.
2. Penn is known for cutthroat students.
5. Is the cultural surrounding area worth paying more than 50k for? No.
6. Most important point (especially since both are great for specializing).

go to stony brook.

But first wait for Dec 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please go to UPenn and make room for others who wants to go to SB. ;)

Stony Brook. Save at least a decade in paying off loans. isn't Stony Brook also pass fail with med school? That's 100x better for you, if you want to specialize in OMS, than if you went to Penn, bro. Pass fail beats 1-11 ranking. I've been there, done that and still chose a school that's much "less cooler" than Stony Brook over Penn. Stony Brook is like the UCLA of the East Coast, in terms of GPA and DAT #'s, without the extra $$ loan.

Last edited:
Is there anything else I should consider?
hu11g.jpg

Depends on how much you are willing to pay extra for the more expensive school.

Look around you, you predent fools! What do you see? Are dental schools getting cheaper? Is healthcare trend becoming more socialized? Is the economy much better? Are there less dental corporate chains? Are there any midlevel providers? Fools! The only control over your career you have today is how much debt you've got!

F**k U.S News for voting Dentistry as #1 job. They're 10 years behind! Dentistry is #1 job if you've already graduated. US News doesn't give a **** about those who are applying to dental school right now cuz they aint got a magic ball to predict the future.

Last edited: