Penn vs uop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Itztheh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one would you guys choose? Both schools (Penn, UOP) are ultra expensive, but are the only schools that have gotten back to me haha. I am still waiting for a UCLA interview invitation (HOPEFULLY! cuz its cheap and great). I interviewed at Pitt and still waiting for a response (earliest response at 2nd week of January).

Penn- one of the best schools in the nation, great education Philly
UOP- 3 years, SF

I am from San Jose, California and would love to see the world, but I do love my California weather and people as well haha

Both around the same price around 380K with living costs.

Members don't see this ad.

and a legit reason why would help too! hahaha

Which one would you guys choose? Both schools (Penn, UOP) are ultra expensive, but are the only schools that have gotten back to me haha. I am still waiting for a UCLA interview invitation (HOPEFULLY! cuz its cheap and great). I interviewed at Pitt and still waiting for a response (earliest response at 2nd week of January).

UOP- 3 years, SF

I am from San Jose, California and would love to see the world, but I do love my California weather and people as well haha

The biggest difference between Penn and UoP is the 3 vs. 4 year curriculum. So if you want to finish in 3 years, go to UoP. If you think you'd be more confident learning dentistry over 4 years, then go to Penn.

There are details that you can debate about for hours (importance of reputation, campus vibe, philly vs. sf, specialization rates, etc.), which I personally take into account and for which I would choose Penn, but they're probably not significant enough to sway the majority of people to either school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

UOP- 3 years, SF

UOP Fo SHOooo, go visit any where you want in summer, save a whole yr of your life, and most importantly, stay in Calif.

Both are great schools in terms of clinical training.

What do you mean go visit anywhere I want in the summer? Does Penn require you to go somewhere specifically for your summers?

penn has mandatory externships. Most people break them up into 2 week externships to go to different sites around the country to look at specialty programs that they are interested in and to network with the programs.

UOP has always had a great rep and will have a new dental building probably by the time you are in your third year.

I say, if you've already lived in San Jose, CA for awhile (i've been there all my life) go somewhere new. It's time to live away from home! Also, New York and D.C. are super close in philly!

The biggest difference between Penn and UoP is the 3 vs. 4 year curriculum. So if you want to finish in 3 years, go to UoP. If you think you'd be more confident learning dentistry over 4 years, then go to Penn.

There are details that you can debate about for hours (importance of reputation, campus vibe, philly vs. sf, specialization rates, etc.), which I personally take into account and for which I would choose Penn, but they're probably not significant enough to sway the majority of people to either school.

What's cool about Pacific's 3 yr program from my understanding is that they streamline the curriculum and remove the excess fat that's unimportant for the board exams. So although they pack 4 years into 3 years, it's not as intense as one would think.

What's cool about Pacific's 3 yr program from my understanding is that they streamline the curriculum and remove the excess fat that's unimportant for the board exams. So although they pack 4 years into 3 years, it's not as intense as one would think.

:confused: my man what are you on? a 4 yr program thats condensed into a 3 yr program is more stress any way to slice it.

:confused: my man what are you on? a 4 yr program thats condensed into a 3 yr program is more stress any way to slice it.

Not really. UoP makes it less stressful by starting in July (instead of Sept), having 1-2 week breaks between quarters (instead of long monthly breaks between semesters), and streamlining the curriculum. 99% of UoP's students graduate which implies that it can't be that super crazy intense.

Not really. UoP makes it less stressful by starting in July (instead of Sept), having 1-2 week breaks between quarters (instead of long monthly breaks between semesters), and streamlining the curriculum. 99% of UoP's students graduate which implies that it can't be that super crazy intense.

Almost all dental schools have a 99% graduation rate, so that makes no sense.

Almost all dental schools have a 99% graduation rate, so that makes no sense.

That's exactly the point. If 4-yr schools have a 99% rate and if Pacific can achieve a 99% rate too, then there's not much difference in difficulty (intensity) which was my original point.