PENN vs. Wash U

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on these programs, I am having a hard time figuring out which to rank 2 and 3. Wash U seems like a more laid, back resident friendly program, the only drawback is St. Louis. I think PENN has a slightly better rep but I hear the residents work very hard. I am also not very familiar with Philly.

Interestd in Cards, GI, or Onc. Any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would def rank Penn above WashU. Penn is one of the best programs in the country and you really can't go wrong with its big baller status. Probably similar training but with a better "big baller" reputation. Philly is a great city close to other great cities like NYC. St. Louis was ranked one of the worst cities for a reason. Good luck!

I agree that Penn is a little stronger clinically than Wash U. Another point of contention I have with Penn is all the negative comments floating around the message board about Penn's "malignancy". I hate to rehash old topics, but when I read what many (different) people say about the patient load and attending-resident relationship it makes me wonder how good of a fit it is for me.

I didn't see any of this during interview day but many people have echoed the same sentiments.

Members don't see this ad :)
you can't go wrong with either program. you won't be sacrificing fellowship potential. go where you were most comfortable and where you can see yourself fitting in.

I'm surprised to hear comments that Penn is malignant. Maybe they just put on a good show, but when I interviewed there the residents seemed very collegial, very happy, very teamwork-oriented. And the program director seemed to be a great advocate for her residents. What sort of things have you heard about Penn that give it such a bad reputation as far as resident happiness?

I'm surprised to hear comments that Penn is malignant. Maybe they just put on a good show, but when I interviewed there the residents seemed very collegial, very happy, very teamwork-oriented. And the program director seemed to be a great advocate for her residents. What sort of things have you heard about Penn that give it such a bad reputation as far as resident happiness?

I don't think there's a single program that someone, somewhere, on this board hasn't called "malignant." It's very subjective and usually comes from people not very familiar with the program who are basing it on little anecdotes they've read too much into, or just from people with a personal axe to grind for whatever reason.

I was just over in another thread defending Wash U against charges of "malignancy" :rolleyes: