Pens for First Aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cards21aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this is a dumb question, but anyone have any advice for pens to use when writing in first aid?

I've lived by the Pilot G2, but it seems to smudge/smear on the glossier paper.

I know there are some other OCD'ers out there. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so this is a dumb question, but anyone have any advice for pens to use when writing in first aid?

LOL. I got an automatic pencil and a smudge-free eraser just for the purpose.

Haha, this is hilarious! I thought I was the only one! :laugh:

I actually recently bought a set of 20 0.3mm Staedtler "fineliner" pens which are amazing! They write really well and dont smudge. I ordered them online from DickBlick. Here is the link.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz218/17/

Have you had any trouble with the ink/writing showing up on the other side. That's the other thing that I'm worried about.

It's sad that I care this much about pens when I have an exam in 3 days.....ah, to be bitten by the procrastination bug.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why does it cost almost $7.00 to ship a 1 lb. package of pens from Illinois (I live in MO)? :(

Have you had any trouble with the ink/writing showing up on the other side. That's the other thing that I'm worried about.

It's sad that I care this much about pens when I have an exam in 3 days.....ah, to be bitten by the procrastination bug.

LOL, I have an exam tomorrow... er, I mean today (now that its 1:45am).

But i LOVE pens! :laugh::laugh:

The ones I bought are probably not too great for heavy writing. I am going to use a pencil instead if I have to write a lot. But they are good in that the point is very thin (0.3mm) so you can keep your pages neat.

i love the Pilot EasyTouch medium tip pens...its all they used in the er in my hospital, and i've been hooked ever since!

I love this post! I also enjoy using the staedtler pens- but do they bleed through the (very) thin paper the FA is printed on? I've been using a mechanical pencil (0.5mm) to annotate and was very happy to find that it doesn't smudge or smear like it would on normal paper, its just not as dark as I would like.

That paper is bizarre with some pens. I love good pens and the best for all around work, glossy paper or not, is a pen called a PowerTank. It writes in any direction, through grease and on glossy paper without smudges. I have been able to keep these pens until they run out of ink. They also write quite smooth too and have a nice grip. I believe that Pilot make them. I get them at Office Depot/Staples and have them in all colors.

Uniball Jet Stream, fine blue or medium black work just fine. They're smudge free and fairly easy to find (Target) and not too expensive. I like the clickable form.

1. Cut off the binding of your copy of FA
2. Make double-sided copies of the whole thing
3. Hole-punch it
4. Put it in a 3-ring binder
5. Use any pen you want, but a simple ballpoint pen and some whiteout works fine
6. Add or remove pages as you like

I used a regular ballpoint (probably the cheapo papermate or bic ones) and didn't have any trouble - but I also didn't fill FA cover to cover with notes. I did have trouble with highlighters bleeding through - that was annoying.

Those use to be my pens too, until I started annotating into FA.

Now I use the bic multi-pen (4-color pen including black):

http://www.bicworld.com/inter_us/bdd/product_express.asp?product_id=101

I can use the different colors to signify different things.

Red for important info....
Blue for general annotation....
Green for...whatever.....etc

You can find these pens in about any wal-mart or target.

Don't use a Pilot G2 (or any gel pen for that matter).

And I wouldn't bother highlighting anything in FA either. It all smudges.

Think thin ink. I used the Pentel RSVP pens for a lot of my book. It comes in a package of various colors, which is nice. Stays clean and is a decent substitute for highlighting.

Pentel_rsvp_pen.gif

Btw, I absolutely hate the multi-pen clickers. Sure, they're cheaper and practical... but they pretty annoying for other people if you study in groups.

i spent way too much time looking for good pens to write with.
here it is: STAEDTLER® Mars® professional fineliner (I'm using 0.25mm but they have em in various diameters. It may also be called "technical drawing pens". They DON'T smudge, and because you don't have to press hard at all there's no "braille" on the other side of the page. Bleed through is incredibly minimal--better than most of the ballpoints. here's a couple links:
http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/catalogSku.do?id=450784&pr=

http://www.waresdirect.com/products...chnical-Drawing-Pens112859?trackURL=shopzilla

The downside--expensive, I've only tried the black (though they do have a cheap multicolor set but I don't know if those bleed a lot as I would imagine most fineliner pens do--if anyone wants to try: Triplus Fineliner Porous Point Pens).

hope this helps.

so i went ahead and got the 10 pack of steadtler triplus fineliner pens in various colors 0.3mm. the dark colors smear. the light colors are pretty darn good ie orange, light green, light blue, yellow (for underlining) and these are what i'll be using in addition to the black one mentioned above. red is ok. you can find them on amazon.com.
hope this helps someone.