People not attending lecture in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oompa loompa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the "Why Stanford is Awesome" website

"Online lectures (at 2.5x speed). Every lecture is digitally video recorded. I attended about 10% of my classes, and watched most of the rest online at high speed from home. It was a much more efficient way to absorb information for the way I study."

OK, I've had lousy professors before, and I've alwys attended more than 50% of lectures. Why would you want to go to med school--esp Stanford med, of all places--just to sit in front of your laptop and listen to lectures?!?!?!??!

It's not just this site. Many people on this forum have mentioned how much more convenient/efficient online lectures are for med school, and I wonder why they're throwing this opportunity away..........

Med school peeps, is this true? Once you getthere, do you really get so overwhelmed you end up learning everything from your computer? That is sad.

Members don't see this ad.

Hells yeah! Well, not really overwhelmed, but if it is available at you school, it saves a lot of time to watch lectures at 2.5x the pace. Not like your missing anything by not hearing the words said aloud live in person. (This sure ain't a rock concert). Some really slow lectures can also be done at 5x, but it is rare a prof talks that slowly.

Doing clinicals in front of a laptop at home may be considerably more difficult... ;)

oompa loompa said:

"Online lectures (at 2.5x speed). Every lecture is digitally video recorded. I attended about 10% of my classes, and watched most of the rest online at high speed from home. It was a much more efficient way to absorb information for the way I study."

OK, I've had lousy professors before, and I've alwys attended more than 50% of lectures. Why would you want to go to med school--esp Stanford med, of all places--just to sit in front of your laptop and listen to lectures?!?!?!??!

It's not just this site. Many people on this forum have mentioned how much more convenient/efficient online lectures are for med school, and I wonder why they're throwing this opportunity away..........

Med school peeps, is this true? Once you getthere, do you really get so overwhelmed you end up learning everything from your computer? That is sad.

Members don't see this ad :)
jake2 said:
Hells yeah! Well, not really overwhelmed, but if it is available at you school, it saves a lot of time to watch lectures at 2.5x the pace. Not like your missing anything by not hearing the words said aloud live in person. (This sure ain't a rock concert). Some really slow lectures can also be done at 5x, but it is rare a prof talks that slowly.
QUOTE]

I can read faster than someone can talk. Also, I tend to absorb information better if I see it than if I hear it. Lectures are not an efficient method for me to learn. Others are the same way.

that's not my point. I know you absorb more information by reading on your own...but still, I think there's value in going to lectures, even if it's just for the experience. In my undergrad, almost everyone attended lecture, no matter how tired/sleep-deprived/behind in studies they were. This was because lectures were NOT just for absorbing info that they could spit out on exams. The professors, as well as the course material, were inspiring, engaging, and worth the extra time to ENJOY, not just to STUDY.

If I went to my state medical school (or state university for that matter) and found it to be a complete waste of time, then it's likely I would just skip lecture.

However, if I have the privilege of going to a really top-notch med school, then of course I will try my hardest to attend lecture, simply for the epxerience of learning from the best--even if it cuts into my own studying time. I hope the classmates of whatever med school I end up attending feel the same way.

Mmmm... no. Setting aside talk of state schools being inferior to private schools for the time being, I'm in med school to learn medicine, not be in awe of brilliant profs. With that in mind, streaming video rocks if available! :D

oompa loompa said:
that's not my point. I know you absorb more information by reading on your own...but still, I think there's value in going to lectures, even if it's just for the experience. In my undergrad, almost everyone attended lecture, no matter how tired/sleep-deprived/behind in studies they were. This was because lectures were NOT just for absorbing info that they could spit out on exams. The professors, as well as the course material, were inspiring, engaging, and worth the extra time to ENJOY, not just to STUDY.

If I went to my state medical school (or state university for that matter) and found it to be a complete waste of time, then it's likely I would just skip lecture.

However, if I have the privilege of going to a really top-notch med school, then of course I will try my hardest to attend lecture, simply for the epxerience of learning from the best--even if it cuts into my own studying time. I hope the classmates of whatever med school I end up attending feel the same way.

jake2 said:
Mmmm... no. Setting aside talk of state schools being inferior to private schools for the time being, I'm in med school to learn medicine, not be in awe of brilliant profs. With that in mind, streaming video rocks if available! :D
I agree... whatever works and whatever makes you a better and more educated medical student. You're basically getting the same content and same delivery, but at the control of a button and the comfort of your own home and on your own time. I think it works out. There is always room for office hours, clinics, and other not-in-front-of-screen activities.

ok, I feel like I'm fighting for a lost cause here, but

I could never bring myself to listen to lectures online, unless I had missed lecture and was cramming for a test.

For me, there is something very stimulating about sitting in a classroom and listening to the prof, and trying to piece together, on the spot, what we're learning.

Oh, and I didn't mean to imply that state schools were inferior to private. I ment specifically MY state school, which is THE PODUNK state school of the U.S.A.

I'm not sure what "value" you're talking about when you attend lectures. Aside from the ability to ask questions and a couple of other minor details, speeding up lectures is great. It's just a lecture and you're not really missing it. As someone else said, you generally have to attend the physical diagnosis/clinical skills/whatever classes. Every school has professors that may be great doctors/scientists but terrible teachers, even the great Stanford.

On a personal note, I've attended every lecture so far and plan to do so in the future, but that's just my personal preference and I realize that.

-X

oompa loompa said:

I'm sure I'll skip plenty of lectures in med school, if college was any indication. As someone mentioned above, I learn better from reading than hearing. Also, I don't often ask questions in class or speak up much at all unless it's a discussion-heavy class. The major exception is that I always attended courses where the professor tested more on what he/she said than what the book or lecture notes said. Seriously, I don't think it matter that much as long as you're doing well and learning, whether you're at a "podunk" school or Harvard.

xanthines said:
I'm not sure what "value" you're talking about when you attend lectures. Aside from the ability to ask questions and a couple of other minor details, speeding up lectures is great. It's just a lecture and you're not really missing it. As someone else said, you generally have to attend the physical diagnosis/clinical skills/whatever classes. Every school has professors that may be great doctors/scientists but terrible teachers, even the great Stanford.

On a personal note, I've attended every lecture so far and plan to do so in the future, but that's just my personal preference and I realize that.

-X

alright. Why is it your personal preference? If there's no value in attending lectures as opposed to absorbing the info from your laptop, why do you still do it? Personal habit?

Dude, I've *always* been a class-goer, from college through grad school. But here in med school, life has gotten waaaaaAAAaay easier when I go to the library and read/learn the stuff on my own. I'm MUCH more productive that way. Something about being droned at in lecture seems to sap my will. :sleep:

Just my two cents.

And remember the motto: "Adapt or die." :D

It's like you don't understand people learn differently...

Thundrstorm said:
I'm sure I'll skip plenty of lectures in med school, if college was any indication. As someone mentioned above, I learn better from reading than hearing. Also, I don't often ask questions in class or speak up much at all unless it's a discussion-heavy class. The major exception is that I always attended courses where the professor tested more on what he/she said than what the book or lecture notes said. Seriously, I don't think it matter that much as long as you're doing well and learning, whether you're at a "podunk" school or Harvard.

I'm not against skipping lectures. I've skipped lectures myself in college. Just not 90% of the time like the guy on the Stanford site. I'm against people who decide not to go to lecture and instead learn everything from their own computer. Am I being self-righteous here? Trying to impose my values on other people? Not at all. I'm simply afraid that I'll go to med school and 50% of my classmates won't show up to lecture, which is going to tempt ME not to go to lecture because I KNOW I learn better studying on my own--lecture is purely for enjoyment, really--and also that I won't get to know half my class if eveyrone is so intent on learning from their laptop. I remember in undergrad, people definitely talked to each other in lecture--before, after, and during 5 minute breaks--and I definitely got to know everyone in my department that way. I still think it's a shame when I miss lecture, and I'm shocked that so many ppl on here feel differently, though maybe it's because SDN caters to that crowd.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pose said:
It's like you don't understand people learn differently...

And It's liek you haven't read a single one of my posts. Actually, neither have most people who've posted..

It's either that, or you not accepting others preferences (see: opinion) to begin with. Doesn't matter...I really don't want any hard feelings on this message board.

oompa loompa said:
I'm against people who decide not to go to lecture and instead learn everything from their own computer. Am I being self-righteous here? Trying to impose my values on other people?
Yes, you are. To some extent, this is what we all do. But you need to be cautious about your own rationale. You mentioned that you want them to go to lecture so you won't be tempted not to go. By the time you enter medical school, you should (and you will, no doubt) be able to follow your own path - even if that does mean attending lectures while others do not. When it comes to studying, worry about yourself and let others do the same.

drinklord said:
Yes, you are. To some extent, this is what we all do. But you need to be cautious about your own rationale. You mentioned that you want them to go to lecture so you won't be tempted not to go. By the time you enter medical school, you should (and you will, no doubt) be able to follow your own path - even if that does mean attending lectures while others do not. When it comes to studying, worry about yourself and let others do the same.

fair enough. I knew it as I typed it.

But I still think its tragic. At least. I think most MSIs are excited enough about med school that they attend all lectures, at least initially.

oompa loompa said:

I know what you mean. I actually like attending lectures. In fact, I don't think I've ever missed a lecture so far in college--maybe a few times for being sick. It's just everybody has a different learning style preference. I like lectures because it seems more involving and challenging (like answering questions on the spot). Plus, you can ask questions right there and then, instead of approaching the professor in his/her office the next day, who might not be in the office so you'll have to track him/her down. But that's me. I also happen to read the texts as well as attend lectures. This method hasn't failed me yet! And it's not as time consuming as it sounds. It takes a bit of time management skills though! :)

oompa loompa said:
Am I being self-righteous here? Trying to impose my values on other people? Not at all. I'm simply afraid that I'll go to med school and 50% of my classmates won't show up to lecture, which is going to tempt ME not to go to lecture because I KNOW I learn better studying on my own--lecture is purely for enjoyment, really--and also that I won't get to know half my class if eveyrone is so intent on learning from their laptop. I remember in undergrad, people definitely talked to each other in lecture--before, after, and during 5 minute breaks--and I definitely got to know everyone in my department that way. I still think it's a shame when I miss lecture, and I'm shocked that so many ppl on here feel differently, though maybe it's because SDN caters to that crowd.

Newsflash oompa. You will be lucky if you have time to fart in medical school, much less socialize. Also, if I read correctly, you want other people to come to lecture so that you will go? Get over it - everyone has to be selfish to some degree in med school.

There is a HUGE difference in the time you need in undergrad to study for an exam and do well versus medical school. Meaning that in undergrand there were boat loads of time to go to lecture, volunteer, watch tv, etc..., study, whatever. Medical school is quite different and there is NOT a lot of time for all of the above. Some medical schools have have classes ALL day and THEN you have to go and try to absorb the HUGE amount of material hence some folks prefer to skip lecture and study at home. Also, there is NO way you will know WHAT you will do once you start so this is a moot point. I never ever skipped lecture in undergrad and now I do when the need arises...trying to explain this to a pre-med (the lecture versus not) is like trying to educate a child about quantum physics...you will see when you get there.

It's just another resource for medical students. Whether you want to utilize it is up to you. Think about it this way... what if you were 6 months pregnant and in medical school? Or what if you had a newborn baby and wanted to nurse? I know of some schools that have implemented online lectures for such students. These days medical schools are doing everything they can to help students learn better... more power to them.

ms1finally said:
Newsflash oompa. You will be lucky if you have time to fart in medical school, much less socialize. Also, if I read correctly, you want other people to come to lecture so that you will go? Get over it - everyone has to be selfish to some degree in med school.

I went to lectures in college, because I could listen to it and have it down by the time I left the classroom.

In medical school, that isn't possible due to the vast volume of info being thrown at me. If I listen to the lecture at home, I can slow down the parts I don't understand and speed up the parts I do, making my learning more efficient.

Plus, some lecturers are horrible. If they are just going to read from the powerpoint (which I already have a copy of) well....I can do that myself. I've learned to only go to the lectures that I gain something out of.

lectures are so helpful in undergrad, not only to socialize with fellow undergrads, but i absorb the material a lot more efficiently if someone is explaining it to me vs. me reading it alone in the library. at least for me, i dont have to study as much if i go to lecture, bc i learn the material there for the most part.
however, i dont know how different the lectures are in med school, im guessing they are quicker and have a lot more material to cover.

I go to most of my undergrad lectures, but I still tend to actually learn the material when I'm studying on my own. Don't bother asking why I go in the first place. :p

I'm lucky enough to attend a school that has lectures only from 8-12 most days. That leaves plenty of time to study, exercise, whatever after lecture. Today for the first time we had lecture from 8-5, and I suddenly can understand why someone would decide to skip lecture every day. You need time to study, and you don't get that when you sit in class all day. Me, I'll probably attend lecture all the time, because I like the feeling of being in a class - also because I'll only have to be there till noon.

But you can't really compare it to undergrad - in undergrad you don't need to attend lecture from 8-5 and you don't need to study several hours every day. With that kind of schedule, something has to give.

Well, if you had to commute back and forth - an hr or more, back or forth - the video lecture thing would save you a lot of time. Another reason is that you could watch the lecture on your own time. On another note, is this the future of education? I'm totally impressed; most of what I've learned in uni (and even before that) has been as a result of my own doing. I had so many tutors; it didn't make much of a difference. My SAT score could've been a lot higher had I studied on my own. For uni....... I always study ahead, and the results (so far) have been great. I am definitely a visual? learner, not an audio osmosis type. Anyhow, something I've come to consider is that the stuff taught at an undergad level, for the sciences, is so basic, classrooms and professors are not really that important. Even the labs are basic; the reason you go is because of the equipment.

ms1finally said:
You will be lucky if you have time to fart in medical school, much less socialize. .
Well duh! Fart WHILE socializing!! Just make sure not to fart in lecture - sounds like getting an audience at a lecture is hard enough without your atmospheric additions.

Sicilian said:
Well, if you had to commute back and forth ...QUOTE]

are you really sicilian? I was born in Sicily!

Flopotomist said:
Well duh! Fart WHILE socializing!! Just make sure not to fart in lecture - sounds like getting an audience at a lecture is hard enough without your atmospheric additions.

HAHHAHAH that's hilarious

yeah i have a friend at a state med school, he said he never goes to class. i was like...wtf? then he explained - he said he'd love to go to lectures but he doesn't have time to learn all this material AND go to class to listen to some prof. reading it to you/talking about the syllabus. sounds weird, but makes sense i guess, especially considering no matter how much we think we know about med school, we really know nothing. i had a friend at tulane who said the same thing about lectures etc.

oompa loompa said:

It doesn't matter how brilliant or educated or well accredited someone is, that doesn't mean they are going to give an exciting or even educational lecture. Most lectures are soboring, the prof just reading whats on the powerpoint, you would save yourself time by not going and just studying on your own. We are in school to learn to become doctors, and trust me, there is more than enough information to keep you occupied outside of class. That said, I have been going to lectures, although I attended only about 30% of my science lectures in undergrad. Anatomy lecture is a neccesity, and biochem is optional depending on what were covering that day.

i am confused about this whole speeding lecture up 5x. i use to record lecture during undergrad and i had to slow it down to catch everything. when lectures were webcasted i used my pause and rewind button the most. is there a lot of pauses and off topics discussion during lectures in medical school so that you end up speeding it up? it seems that people keep mentioning the huge amount of material they have to learn in class- wouldnt this mean that speeding lecture up will result in missing some facts? or is the volume so huge that it doesnt matter if u miss stuff?

C.P. Jones said:
Sicilian said:
Well, if you had to commute back and forth ...QUOTE]

are you really sicilian? I was born in Sicily!

Yes. I take it Jones is just your SDN alias?

oompa loompa said:
Once you getthere, do you really get so overwhelmed you end up learning everything from your computer? That is sad.

I'm with you. I know that most people aren't, but I'm with you 100%.

It's sad. It makes me feel like [insert amazing medical school here] could just put the first two years of medical school online. It's hard to understand that people would want to pay fifty grand a year for that.

Bleh.

Maybe the reason why so many people in here like to learn online is because, *gasp* the typical medical student is somewhat more antisocial? Just a thought... Maybe?

Yes, everyone that prefers to study based on their needs, and experience is absolutely anti-social. As well as the majority of medical students that decide not to attend lecture solely because they feel limited in time. That's because 95% of them did not go to medical school to deal with people for the rest of their lives.

I love how suddenly it's turned into lecture=socialization. Ever think they stay home so they can adequately learn the material, yet you expect them to go so they can socialize?

But...I do understand how scary it is that even medical and graduate education is being put online. I would be very thrown off if they offered the first two years (or even a single class) on a fully computer-based system. The same way I feel the scope of practice for "mid-levels" is getting out of control. And the insurance/compensation battle. It seems like a compromise of education, and integrity, and perhaps making the field even more undesirable (or desirable for those looking for an easy way to becoming a physician.)

But that isn’t happening right now, it’s simply a study-guide to improve the education of students…Which is in the right direction.

morgan said:

It's sad. It makes me feel like [insert amazing medical school here] could just put the first two years of medical school online. It's hard to understand that people would want to pay fifty grand a year for that.

Bleh.

Maybe the reason why so many people in here like to learn online is because, *gasp* the typical medical student is somewhat more antisocial? Just a thought... Maybe?

or maybe once you get to med school you'll see that lecture can be a total waste of your time? If you have a choice between being "social" by going to class, but just barely passing (or failing), or actually learning the material by studying on your own, which would you pick? Which would make you a better doctor?

You're going to be spending the third and fourth year of med school in the wards anyway. As long as you learn the material in the first two years, it doesn't matter how you do it. The prestige of your school will still be on your diploma, and you'll still be learning from top docs on your rotations.

As somebody else mentioned, the online lecture option is great for those of us with families. And in every med school there will be people who like to attend lecture and other people who do not. Don't (selfishly) worry that there won't be people accompanying you in lecture, because there will be. But don't look down on your peers who don't attend lecture just because they like to use their time wisely for their learning style.

(Also, it's somewhat amusing that all of the people arguing here are pre-meds who have no clue what med school is actually going to be like. Stop saying it's "sad" that med students don't attend lecture until you get there and see what it's like yourself! Maybe you won't want to attend lecture, either; now won't that be funny?)

edit: I'm not a med student yet. My husband is. He started out attending lecture, and even this year (2nd year) started out with lecture, but quickly realized it was a waste of his time. He doesn't even watch the online lectures most of the time, but learns from the notes and books. More than half of his class does the same, but there are still plenty of people who go to lectures. Now he spends the whole day in an empty classroom or the library studying, and he's free to hang out most nights.

Pose said:
But...I do understand how scary it is that even medical and graduate education is being put online. I would be very thrown off if they offered the first two years (or even a single class) on a fully computer-based system. The same way I feel the scope of practice for "mid-levels" is getting out of control. And the insurance/compensation battle. It seems like a compromise of education, and integrity, and perhaps making the field even more undesirable (or desirable for those looking for an easy way to becoming a physician.)

But that isn’t happening right now, it’s simply a study-guide to improve the education of students…Which is in the right direction.

I agree, it wouldn't be good to offer the first 2 years of med school fully computer-based. A single class wouldn't be a problem, because people who prefer lectures just wouldn't go to that school or take that class. But in general most medical schools have classes in the first two years that teach history-taking, physical diagnosis, plus there's gross lab, histology lab, microbiology lab, etc. The lab courses can theoretically be done via computer, but IMO shouldn't be. The how-to-interact-with-patients courses have to be in real life.

(And guess what? If you think not going to class means you're anti-social, what does it mean when the same people do great in their lab groups?)

tigress said:
If you have a choice between being "social" by going to class, but just barely passing (or failing), or actually learning the material by studying on your own, which would you pick? Which would make you a better doctor?

Actually, I will have to argue that the very best students in my undergrad went to lecture all the time. Some students--including myself--regularly skipped lecture the week of midterms in order to cram and probably did better than other students who weren't prepared but still went to lectures. But, like I said, the very best students could handle it all. Will this be true in med school? I'm not sure. BUT, I went to one of the most competitive undergrads, full of high achieving pre-med types--who btw, attended lecture religiously--so yes, I think it will still hold true.

As somebody else mentioned, the online lecture option is great for those of us with families. And in every med school there will be people who like to attend lecture and other people who do not. Don't (selfishly) worry that there won't be people accompanying you in lecture, because there will be. But don't look down on your peers who don't attend lecture just because they like to use their time wisely for their learning style.

I shouldn't have even put that part in about wanting my classmates to be there. Yeah, it's selfish but understand that I would never coerce people to attend lecture in real life; I just wanted to present a personal reason of why I'm slightly worried. But I realize it weakened my case greatly.

(Also, it's somewhat amusing that all of the people arguing here are pre-meds who have no clue what med school is actually going to be like. Stop saying it's "sad" that med students don't attend lecture until you get there and see what it's like yourself! Maybe you won't want to attend lecture, either; now won't that be funny?)

Actually, that's exactly what I think is sad: that I could potentially not want to attend lectures either, once I arrive at medical school. You know what? I probably missed more lectures than most at my undergrad. Did it help me get better grades? You bet. But like I keep saying, I enjoyed lecture tremendously and regretted it each time it happened. And contrary to what other people on here keep saying, I did not find most lectures to be a waste of time. The professors are experts in their fields, and if they're doing their job, they take the material to a whole new level and demand that you've mastered that level of understanding (and problem-solving) come exam time. You don't learn that from the textbook. I've tried. You can't, unless you're just naturally brilliant....and if you were, btw, you'd be in lecture b/c you could afford to spend your time there! See my first point! OK, I'm becoming repetitive.

But anyway, I'm not trying to put down people who learn better from the textbook or on their own, b/c I'm like that myself. I just think there's something disturbing if people decide to attend a prestigious med school like Stanford or WHEREVER and then end up spending their first two years listenign to lectures from their computer at 2x/5x/whatever speed. I hope that's not what the med schools have in mind. If that's the only way for people to master all the info that's thrown at them in med school, then there's something wrong w/ the system.

morgan said:

Bleh.

thanks!! :) :)
I'm pretty sure more people agree, this thread just somehow attracted a lot of virulence from the ones who disagreed. It's probably my fault w/ the way I presented it.

" It's hard to understand that people would want to pay fifty grand a year for that."

EXACTLY!!!

TheProwler said:
I go to most of my undergrad lectures, but I still tend to actually learn the material when I'm studying on my own. Don't bother asking why I go in the first place. :p

Haha....meee too....

oompa loompa said:
thanks!! :) :)
I'm pretty sure more people agree, this thread just somehow attracted a lot of virulence from the ones who disagreed. It's probably my fault w/ the way I presented it.

" It's hard to understand that people would want to pay fifty grand a year for that."

EXACTLY!!!

I think the reason it attacted virulence is because people felt you were attacking those who do not attend lecture, in a way. And of course people get defensive. You make it seem as if it's wrong for people to not go to lecture, or to not want to go, and as if you look down on people who don't want the same as you. But it's not your place to be judging how other people study. If you like lectures, that's great; you can go to all of them. But what everybody is saying is that you shouldn't turn your nose up at those students who choose not to go, just because they have a different way of learning than you do.

Also, I always attended lecture in college. Everybody at my school did. I went to a school with fewer than 1000 students, and lectures were small to begin with. We were required to attend, and almost everybody always did. However, I am not sure if I will go to lecture in med school. As I said, other options are great for those of us with families. And you really won't understand the sheer amount of information thrown at you in med school until you experience it yourself (and I've only experienced it by proxy; I know how my husband handles it, but I'll see how I do). So if you aren't actually learning it in lecture, you simply don't have time to attend. My best friend started med school last week, and the other day I was talking to her, having tried to prepare her beforehand, and she basically said she was so overwhelmed, that they learned as much in one day as we would have learned for an entire test in undergrad. But she's still going to lecture at this point, because that's the way she is. And that's cool. I don't know what I'll be doing when I get to the same point; I hope to find out in a year :)

first of all STOP comparing undergrad with medical school...saying "all the people that went to lectures in undergrad blah blah blah" believe me, medical school IS a total different ballgame and you do what YOU have to do to pass/honor/whatever. Again, until YOU get there do not ASSUME anything. Assumptions are like anal sphincters everyone has one..but until you walk the walk you really have no room to talk the talk. Once you ARE a medical student the come back here and read this post and give us your enlightened view.

alright. so here's what we should do: Make sure the med school you're attending has lectures all day long (like 8-5) so you can skip them and thus study all day in the library...or listen to them at 5x speed on your laptop!! Don't attend schools that have PBL and other stuff where you're required to attend b/c ---GASP-- that'd just cut into your precious study time.

Please...I'm with ya, oompa loompa. I'm very apprehensive as to what the learning environment will be like in med school.

You've gotta me kidding me with this thread. In four years, oompa loompa, if you're still on SDN, I hope somebody bumps it up so you can read it again and reminisce about those long-gone days when you thought that going to lecture vs. not going to lecture was an issue of some sort. To me this thread is kind of like reading something in a language that almost but isn't quite English.