People Who Get Into Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freedyx3

I'm Columbian
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all you lucky people who got into Penn, just wondering what was your GPA science and overal, DAT scores, and any other stats you feel was important

thanks alot

Members don't see this ad.

Hi buddy

3.5 overall/3.4 science/3.65 including community college classes

DAT: 19's 20's across the board (except Ochem ;-()

I got an interview before my DATs. I think PENN Is unique since it loves to select people who are well rounded. I believe my E.C's really impressed them. I basically had done a lot of jobs in healthcare, web programming etc. Research. You can check out my webpage for details...however I need to update more of my info.

Hope this helps.

DesiDentist

your webpage helped you get into penn?
seriously

Members don't see this ad :)
i dunno? did it?

I think it facilitated my application process. When I emailed admission directors I would direct them to my webpage rather than going on and on about me. They could look at it at their own convenience and learn a little bit more about me.

DesiDentist?

Well first of all I am glad to have been accepted to Penn but I think the price is just a little bit too steep for me. Anyways here are my stats:

Overall QPA: 3.98
Science QPA: 3.99
DAT: 23
PAT: 19

400 hours of research
Several hours of shadowing dentists and volunteering at dental clinic

I hope this helps,

Steve

3.88 overall/3.84 science
22 academic, 18 pat
2 summers of full time working at dentist's
summer dental research program
cultural exchange program

as desidentist said, they like research experience and ppl with a diverse background.

GPA 3.67 sci / 3.65 overall
DAT 22/ 17PAT.

more than 100 hours volunteering/observing..

research 2 years.

I thought UPENN is excellent, I was most impressed with it. The price of it was just tooo high! especially that i didn't get the scholarship....

well i didnt get in but i did get an interview in jan which im gonna cancel....

my stats were as per aadsas
sci gpa 3.22
overall 3.39
acad. 20 pat 18

3oo of dental work
200 in dental lab

NO RESEARCH EXPERIENCE

someone said there is a strict screening process......so i guess you don't have to have super stats to get them interested. congrats to you guys who got in

mitwa

When did you receive the interview?

I really liked Penn, but I've decided to go elsewhere, so I'm sending in my decline today. My stats are:

GPA: 3.7
DAT: 23/20
approx. 100 hours volunteering
about 9 months research experience in restoration ecology

Hope this helps. Good luck!

-Annimul

DAT / PAT = 20/18

Cum.GPA: 3.99
Science: 3.99

650 hours working full time as a dental assistant
150 hours comm. service
volunteer at free clinic as dental asst.
2 semesters of research in dental materials

In w/ Dean's Scholarship

EB

Where did all of you guys who got into penn do your undergrad?

Hey annimul, I think i interviewed with you at UCONN. Where have you decided to attend?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Ranman,

I'm going to be attending Harvard. It was the perfect fit for what I wanted in a school. Are you going to Penn?

In response to dudelove's question, I did my undergrad at UW.

Originally posted by dudelove
Where did all of you guys who got into penn do your undergrad?

Just like annimul I did my cousework at the University of Washington which is an R1 institution which receives the most funding of any university. My interviewers knew UW and they had a ton of respect for it. The dental school itself is a huge hurdle to get into (right teething). However, if you get into UW's dental school you its like getting into PENN or Harvard. Very top notch. I just wished their addmission cycle was a little organized.

UW rules!!

DesiDentist

undergrad: GA Tech
GPA: 3.3
DAT: 19/19
2 semesters of bioinformatics and genomics research

I really don't know how I got in.

Undergrad: Univ. of Toronto
Hon BSc. gpa: 3.70
M.Sc. gpa: 4.00
DAT: 18/20
lots of dental observing and tons of research exp.

bres,

i got an interview with them the first week in november. they got my application 1 week before that. did i mention im a junior too. now im stumped as to how i got an interview after seeing all of these peeps' stats. WOW

maybe it's the female indian minority thing going.....??

Hey guys,

Wow, how dumb am I, listen to this:

I didn't even notice that I got the dean's merit scholarship, I finally saw that today. Wow I don't know if I can turn that offer down, it makes Penn quite competitive at least with the other in-state schools for a Pennsylvania residentsuch as myself.

Here is a question to other Penn people who got the dean's scholarship, are any of you guys going to turn in down or not? I am just curious

Steve

Just got the letter today. My stats:

Cumm GPA: 3.2
Science GPA: 3.1
DAT: academic 21 / PAT 20

I called UPENN today. They said that my application is being screen for interviewing. And they have been screening it for more than 3 wks. Holy god, how long does it take them to screen my app? A friend of mine, who already interviewed at Harvard said that PENN has been screening his app for 5 wks.
Should I even complain.
T

Tink,

Like I stated before PENN is a mysterious school. Some people, like mitwa, send their app in and next week they get an invite. And some people with high numbers are reviewed. PENN follows a distinct screening process in my opinion. I think they are looking for people with something unique about them. That maybe anything to type of major, to life experience, to the answers they wrote for the supplemental.

As you might notice PENN is the only school that "brags" about the diversity of majors it brings in. Also PENN has the most african american students after Howard and Meharry. I think there were 9-12 in one class. Even Temple, doesn't have that many. They have only 1-2 in their D1 class. Diversity is key for them.

I think they look at your personality first, and then numbers a unique scenario indeed. I thank my lucky stars I got interviewed w/out my DAT's and accepted in the first round. Those waiting, don't worry good news is around the corner.

Good luck,

DesiDentist

I hope so Desi, since I am still waiting to hear from UPENN. I interviewed in the last batch just before the official acceptance date. I did call the school to ask for the status of my app and Elsie told me that my app hasn't gone through the final committee meeting yet. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Just out of curiosity, since I don't reside in the states, will Upitt give me a solid dental education that is well rounded in terms of academics/research and clinical experience? Any advice would be appreciated since it is difficult to find a lot of info on this school. So far, I find that UPENN offers the most balanced ciriculum of the schools that I have interviewed at and 2nd would be Pitt. I would appreciate any feedback. Please PM me if you don't mind.
Thanks.

AE

overall GPA 3.5 , majored in Philosophy, minored in biology, 20 DAT, 18 PAT

it's a little too steep for me too, costwise, as i've gotten into my state school, so i am most likely going to turn penn's offer down, so someone else can have my spot!

Hey Guys,

Have any of you all who've been accepted to Penn decided to go there for sure?

Erin

I'm waiting for my state school to let me know of my status. If I get into my state school (U.Washington) I will save some serious cash (>$200,000). However, if I do not get accepted then I am very SERIOUSLY considering PENN.

I think PENN has a great acceptance rate from students as well. While some other schools have to send 5-6 times more acceptances to get all the seats filled. PENN does it close to 1x more. I believe over half the seats fill up in the first round of acceptances.

DesiDentist

scist2,

got in with the dean's scholarship here as well. what other schools did you get into? any state schools? i'm from texas and got into all 3 tx schools. baylor actually gave me a scholarship, only $3000 for the first semester of school. but the tuition is LOW, about $7000 a year. it's still cheaper than Penn with the scholarship. so i dont know what to do. should i turn it down? I like both schools... well, like Penn more actually... it's really hard to decide. i guess the money thing is a big factor for me.
what's ur decision? what's ur opinion for my situation? anyone else's input is appreciated as well.

~Qoo

Money is an important thing to concider. I wish all schools were priced the same...however other things matter too. Going to a school in the state you want to practice is also a consideration. I really like NOVA and PENN a lot. However, if accepted to UW the offer would be to hard to turn down since tuition would be only 10-13,000 a year, whereas other schools it will be 33 -42,000. However, dentists are making money and if you plan on making money (like i'm planning to) you should make this decision based on where you will be happy the most.

(going to an ivy league school is a once in a lifetime opportunity, so is living in philly, and eating cheese steaks (genos is the best))

DesiDentist

GENOS???

Pat's baby!!! Pat's is the original and the best!

geno's is clean...and tyra banks ate there. If she can eat there so can I.

Pat's was too greasy...unclean. blah.

DesiDentist

What about Jim?s?
Personally, I like to start out at Geno?s and then make my way across the street to top it off with Pat?s. WIZ WITH is the only way to go.
President Clinton ate at Pat?s. Who do you think knows fast food better Tyra Banks or Bubba Clinton?

Back to stuff about PENN:

here is some facts about the school related to us, the pre-dents:

SDM consistently attracts high-quality students to its DMD program they routinely have GPAs and DAT (Dental Admission Test) scores above the national average for all dental schools. Of the 96 students in the SDM Class of 2002, the mean science GPA was 3.42 (national mean, 3.24) , the mean overall GPA was 3.47 (national mean, 3.33), and the mean total science DAT scores were 19 (national mean, 18).

Each year, approximately 120 students graduate from the predoctoral program at SDM.

The SDM is unique among dental schools for the strength of both its clinical and basic science departments.

There are 46 standing faculty members and 306 associated faculty members in the SDM clinical science departments and 20 standing faculty members and 30 associated faculty members in the basic sciences.

The SDM is among the top three dental schools in the nation for NIH funding received per standing faculty member. In the 1997-1998 academic year, the SDM faculty published the results of clinical and basic science research in more than 100 papers in scientific journals.

The SDM is designated a World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Oral Infectious Diseases: Education, Research and Care. It is one of 37 collaborating centers on oral health in the world.

SDM treats over 16,000 patients each year in its main clinical teaching facilities, located primarily in the Evans Building. A full range of general and specialty services are provided at the School, including treatment for medically complex patients. A new clinical facility, the Robert Schattner Center, is now under construction. ==> COMPLETED

The University of Pennsylvania Dental Care Network includes one on-campus and five satellite practice locations for the group practice of SDM faculty. These practice locations serve faculty and staff of the University of Pennsylvania and the Health System, as well as their surrounding communities, and are also the training sites for students enrolled in the School's Advanced Education in General Dentistry program.

Now back to stuff about Cheesesteaks:
Any person who incorporates McDonalds (not promoting, just mentioning) into his morning jog is a bigger buff about food. I remember seeing that Clinton ate at Pat's. Geno's is too commercial...celebs and tourists eat there. Pat's is where the locals eat their cheesesteaks because it's good and also there a long time. All a matter of taste but I will say that Geno's is top 3 easily.

Pat was good, I didn't try Geno. Any one who already tried all 3 would give a good rating.
T

THAT'S IT!!!!

I'M GOING TO PENN, THIS TALK ABOUT CHEESE STEAKS IS THE FINAL DECISION. I'M GOING TO MAKE MY OWN CHEESE STEAK.

DesiDentist's Steaks.

Whaddya think? Will it sell.

DesiDentist

Where do you want to practice? How does that correlate to where you go to school? I thought all schools prepare you the same way for boards and licensure exams?
Someone please fill me in?

~Qoo

The regional and state boards are very different from east-west etc. The school you go to will prepare you for the boards in that region. You can however take any board you want. I was told, for example, that people attending eastern or mid-western schools only have about a 30% pass rate on the California state board..I don't know how accurate that stat is. It came from an interview. Anyway, you can live/practice wherever you want. You just have to pass the board...except in New York, starting 2003 if you get a GPR or AEGD and complete it you don't have to take the NERB.

Anyone else hear anything from PENN?
It looks like the next acceptance cycle is gonna be in January...Their deadline is January 15th to turn in everything. So those considering going there, you better hurry up.

Good luck to all,

DesiDentist

I just heard from Ms. Cacas via email. I was very anxious when I read your post so I email her yesterday. She told me that my acceptance letter was mailed out Monday. Hopefully I'll get it before my girlfriend comes back tomorrow from Philly. Heck, that would make a great birthday present for her! I'm just so happy now, been waiting for this one a long time.

Cheers,
AE