People with 30+ on MCATs using ExamKrackers Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balder1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It's been a while. I just bought ExamKrackers study package of all the subjects to start studying for the MCAT's. I wanted to try them out besides Kaplan. For anyone who scored 30 or better, how was your method of studying with the ExamKrackers. Do I also need to get EK 1001 questions as well? I looked at the 30+ sections and still wanted to ask a few questions about it. Did you guys conquer one subject at a time, alternate one subject than the next subject the next day? Thanks!!!

balder1

Members don't see this ad.

EK books are good as long as you understand what they are saying.

I found them very condensed so I had to supplement my studying with TPR-H materials. If you find anything that's not crystal clear, you should refer to other books to better understand. Brute-force memorizing doesn't work in MCAT. Concepts and relationship among those concepts are important and that can only be established with solid understanding of everything.

I think skipping around subjects or hanging out in one subject at a time is your own personal preference.

Undoubtedly, their bio book is the best. Although I found EK 1001 books to be on the useless side. Good luck!

Woops I'm taking mcat tomorrow but I thought I'd just throw my 2 cents in. You can ignore my post.

I also agree that the EK books are somewhat condensed but the questions they have as you go through are helpful. Overall, I would recommend their materials to others.

For some reason, EK questions seems to make big-time use of trick / ridiculous questions / concepts. The other half of the questions are usually ridiculously easy. Just remember this as you go through, make sure you get the concepts down pat but don't drive yourself crazy if you get some wrong answers. This is especially important for the 1001 books, which I have used for physics. Although physics is admittedly my worst subject on the MCAT, I've found the EK book to focus more on question tricks than actual grasp of the material. If you decide to pick up the 1001 books, don't do more than half of the questions in them.

I used them, very helpful but no substitute for taking the actual classes. Its definitely a review as opposed to a learning source. I did all of the manuals, one at a time over the course of about two weeks (didn't do all the 30-min exams), and got an even 30 on the MCAT. I hadn't taken Ochem 2 yet though when I was studying and the BS book was like a foreign language to me. BS was my worst section on the test. Now that I'm almost finished with Ochem 2 I know exactly what I missed on my two Ochem 2 passages. I believe that I missed every question on both passages.

As for my method, I just plowed through them one at a time, all day long for two weeks. Lots of Red Bull. Felt like a smart son-of-a-bitch when I was finished. Helped me realize how much stuff I really have learned as an undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hated Exam Krackers. I have all the 1001 books, regular subject matter books, audio osmosis (a friend gave all of this to me). The only reason I don't like Exam Krackers is because they don't suit my learning style at all. I am a big picture first person, and they focus on details hoping you'll eventually arrive at the big picture later on your own. Not my cup of tea. I love Kaplan. I have the big comp review book from 2005. It's thorough and easy to read. You can get the 2005 version that I have on ebay for like 6 dollars. The only thing that's incorrect is that you won't need the alkene, alkyne, or aromatic chapters in the organic chemistry section. I've checked out the new editions (which come in individual books), and they are pretty much exactly the same.

Edit: I wanted to add that it's probably best not to limit yourself to one resource. What works for one person won't work for everyone. (Clearly EK worked out amazingly for Cole even though it wasn't a fit for me) So make sure you have options.

Double Edit: I did one section at a time. I put off physics because I don't like it. I suggest you focus on your weakest subject first even though I couldn't make myself abide by this rule.

Last edited:
I saw on your mdapplicants that you are a Baylor student. Do they not still have the mcat review course for students taught by professors?

They do, but I only bought it for the materials (i.e., all AAMC tests and the EK set). I didn't attend any of the lectures.

How much weight should one put on the 30 minute exams at the end of the lecture? Some of them are ridiculously hard...

I went through the subject books one at a time, but I agree that it just depends on personal preference. And I did decently well on the ExamKrackers chapter tests for the most part, but I also found that I did better on the actual MCAT. Good luck!