People with 35+ MCATs and no acceptances thus far - poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your race/ethnicity?

• White

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Black

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • Hispanic

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Asian

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

Iatro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is meant to be an interesting poll to determine how many people with 35+ have not been accepted and more specifically their racial/ethnic background. I have no intention of starting a flame war (if anything, make it your own private cold war). I understand that relevant statistics can be found on AAMCs website, however I think it would be interesting to gauge the stats specifically for the SDN community, as it seems to be a select group of overall applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well thus far, 3 white 1 black. Im assuming that there are many more white applicants than black, so this is not abnormal!

I had no U.S. acceptances at this stage of the game last year, and right now I have 3... there's a high degree of randomness folks.

Reactions: 1 user
There are probably only ~60 black applicants with MCAT scores of 35+ total applying this cycle so I would be very suspicious of seeing many "black" responses to this poll. The chances of one of those 60 black applicants not having an acceptance, being on SDN, looking at this thread, and responding to the poll are very low thus the fact that there are already 4 "black" people that responded is pretty sketchy.

Where did I get this number of 60 from?
Source: https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/2012factstable25-2.pdf
The above chart shows that there were only 112 black applicants with scores of 35+ from the years 2010 - 2012. So for one cycle we can pretty much approximate that there will be less than 60 black people with 35+ MCAT scores.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sometimes I wonder into the pre-med forum, then I see threads like this, then I go back home.

et-phone-home.gif

Reactions: 4 users
There are probably only ~60 black applicants with MCAT scores of 35+ total applying this cycle so I would be very suspicious of seeing many "black" responses to this poll. The chances of one of those 60 black applicants not having an acceptance, being on SDN, looking at this thread, and responding to the poll are very low thus the fact that there are already 4 "black" people that responded is pretty sketchy.

Shouldn't this number be 114 or more? (86 who scored 36 to 39, +26 who scored 39+ + however many scored exactly 35). Moot point, but humorous that you estimated 60 given the data you posted. :D

Last edited:
Shouldn't this number be 114 or more? (86 who scored 36 to 39, +26 who scored 39+ + however many scored exactly 35). Moot point, but humorous that you estimated 60 given the data you posted. :D

his number of 60 is actually an exaggeration if, as the chart shows, 99 of the 112 African American scorers of 36-45 get in to medical school. So maybe you have those 13 + MCAT score of 36ers that didn't get in (MAXIMUM 33), leaving a potential total + however many were left over from last year (likely well below 46 since they will be accepted this cycle) + a couple that are waitlisted or waiting on acceptances now... and 60 seems a reasonable over-estimate

That data is actually all the applicants over three years, so its 1/3 the number.

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like the poll is getting trolled. O well, was wort a shot.

It's not a moot point. You didn't notice that the data is NOT for 1 year. It's data COMBINED from 2010 - 2012 cycles therefore 60 for this cycle is an overestimation. It should be closer to 112/3 = 37.3 so about 38 black people with 35+ MCAT scores this cycle. Let's say that for some reason more blacks with 35+ applied this cycle.. it would still likely be far less than 60, not "114 or more".

According to the poll there are 12 black people that responded with scores of more than 35 that haven't gotten an acceptance this cycle - most likely a load of BS.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a moot point. You didn't notice that the data is NOT for 1 year. It's data COMBINED from 2010 - 2012 cycles therefore 60 for this cycle is an overestimation. It should be closer to 112/3 = 37.3 so about 38 black people with 35+ MCAT scores this cycle. Let's say that for some reason more blacks with 35+ applied this cycle.. it would still likely be far less than 60, not "114 or more".

According to the poll there are 12 black people that responded with scores of more than 35 that haven't gotten an acceptance this cycle - most likely a load of BS.
Ah, I see that you are right. (I am an idiot :D)

it's because of people like OP that affirmative action is just as bad for Minorities as it is for whites. "yep he got in not because of his academic success but because he's a minority".

Reactions: 1 users

The above chart shows that there were only 112 black applicants with scores of 35+ from the years 2010 - 2012. So for one cycle we can pretty much approximate that there will be less than 60 black people with 35+ MCAT scores.

Looks like the poll is indicating otherwise. :watching:

Looks like the poll is indicating otherwise. :watching:

What the poll is indicating is that there are a bunch of non-blacks and blacks with < 35 MCAT scores on these forums pretending to be blacks with 35+ and no acceptances. What do you trust more, the AAMC data or an SDN poll ?

I have a 36 and no acceptances yet. Can't see the poll on my phone though.

I would like to out myself as someone who trolled this poll.

Reactions: 2 users

Last edited:
What the poll is indicating is that there are a bunch of non-blacks and blacks with < 35 MCAT scores on these forums pretending to be blacks with 35+ and no acceptances. What do you trust more, the AAMC data or an SDN poll ?

Well, clearly SDN community is the best possible sample, so the poll's fairly legit... :thinking:

Is it common for people with 35+ MCAT to not get interviews? I know an acceptance is a whole different ordeal, but even an interview? I would think at least one school would bite on that MCAT score..