Pepperdine Psy.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazysusan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering your thoughts on Pepperdine Psy.D.. generally good reputation? Do people tend to roll their eyes at someone with this degree behind closed doors, as they might with those who have degrees from Alliant/Agrosy/Chicago School? I do qualify for tuition aid, so please keep the emphasis on whether or not I will have a useful and well-respected degree, rather than on the cost of tuition.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clearly some of you aren't capable of following simple directions.
What a novel idea, getting mouthy with people providing you with free career advice. Let us know how that works out for you in your career.

I would make a clear distinction between career advice and snarky/inflammatory statements.

Reactions: 1 user
I would make a clear distinction between career advice and snarky/inflammatory statements.
If you can't reconcile that constructive advice might also be snarky or otherwise phrased less than what you would like, then maybe doctoral training in clinical psych isn't for you. There are lots of program faculty members, practicum site supervisors, internship site and post doc faculty, etc. who will say things far less magnanimously.

Don't you have better things to do on your Saturday night than accost someone you don't know on the internet? Why don't you use your training to do something more meaningful with your time.

Last edited:
Don't you have better things to do on your Saturday night than accost someone you don't know on the internet? Why don't you use all your empathy and training to do something more meaningful with your time.
Thanks for demonstrating what I'm talking about.

Also, you may want to look at this section on the program's website.
Scholarships - Pepperdine University - Graduate School of Education and Psychology
Students may apply for and receive more than one scholarship; however, the total award will not exceed 25% of tuition

And then if we look at this page:
PsyD in Clinical Psychology | Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology Degree Program | Pepperdine University GSEP
Program Length / Units
4 years / 82 units

Unit Cost
$1,510

82 * $1,510 = $123,820

$123,820 * 0.75 = $92,865

Even if you get the max amount of scholarship/grant aid—which is not guaranteed—, you'll still pay over $90K in program costs without factoring in living expenses. Thus, even if you don't want to hear about it from the actual psychologists who have completed their training or current grad students, cost is still an important factor. Grad school is difficult enough without worrying about how you're going to pay to survive, let alone the serious debt you're accruing.

Fortunately, I am not in a situation where I am concerned about the investment financially. I simply won't be incurring any debt, which is why I was interested in the former part of the question.. Thank you for your independent research on my behalf, but I would seriously encourage you to spend your time more wisely. As a clinical psychologist, I would really think you might have more interpersonal capabilities than you're exhibiting right now. But maybe you're just dealing with your lonely life by antagonizing someone you don't know on the internet.. Good luck with that.

Fortunately, I am not in a situation where I am concerned about the investment financially. I simply won't be incurring any debt, which is why I was interested in the former part of the question.. Thank you for your independent research on my behalf, but I would seriously encourage you to spend your time more wisely. As a clinical psychologist, I would really think you might have more interpersonal capabilities than you're exhibiting right now. But maybe you're just dealing with your lonely life by antagonizing someone you don't know on the internet.. Good luck with that.

Don't waste your energy and don't engage – @psych.meout isn't worth the time

Fortunately, I am not in a situation where I am concerned about the investment financially. I simply won't be incurring any debt, which is why I was interested in the former part of the question..

Ok, let's say you have $92K. The opportunity cost of using it for this program compared to a comparable full-funded program is huge.

Thank you for your independent research on my behalf, but I would seriously encourage you to spend your time more wisely.

Meh, I'm bored while I'm waiting to a game to update.

As a clinical psychologist, I would really think you might have more interpersonal capabilities than you're exhibiting right now. But maybe you're just dealing with your lonely life by antagonizing someone you don't know on the internet.. Good luck with that.

Firstly, I'm a grad student, not a psychologist yet. Secondly, why is it that so many of you have such difficulty understanding that maybe people behave differently depending on the situation. Do you honestly think that any of the psychologists who post here speak the same way with their patients? Do you not have any clinical experience?

Don't waste your energy and don't engage – @psych.meout isn't worth the time

See, this is another person tone trolling.

People do depend differently depending on the situation. For example, 92k might be a lot of money to one person and a drop in the bucket as compared to another. That's why I was pretty clear about the way I phrased my question - which by the way, you didn't bother answering until you found an opening for being antagonistic.

Do you not see the irony in chastising me when my first response to you was about you being mouthy towards WisNeuro?

I do have clinical experience. That's why I know that your mentors might look pretty negatively upon you if they found out you were trolling people on these kind of message boards.

Firstly, you're misinterpreting disagreement as "trolling." Secondly, my mentor would just roll his/her eyes at you.

It would indicate a lack of professionalism and pose serious questions about your personal state of mind - which would therefore have a dramatic impact on your ability to work as a responsible clinician.

Funny, I have several years of clinical experience and had stellar performance reviews every time. I guess my supervisors and mentors were being sarcastic when they wrote me all those recommendations for grad school.

I would argue belittling, derogating and otherwise acting condescending to a potential colleague because you are bored could place you on the psychopathy continuum.

Wow.

That's why I'm going to do everything in my power to figure out who you are.

Uh huh.

I ignored him. That person is a real SOB.
Yes, this person "ignored" me by sending me the following PMs after the posted my last comment above.

hurricanesum1 said:
Are you ****ing kidding me dude
hurricanesum1 said:
What are you getting out of this exchange?

And they've clearly deleted their posts here threatening me.

Don't you have better things to do on your Saturday night than accost someone you don't know on the internet? Why don't you use your training to do something more meaningful with your time.

Wow. I don’t think you will get far with this attitude. Much of training is about receiving constructive criticism... like for everything you do at every moment.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.