Pepperdine PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PepperdineGal

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy ho

I want to know if anyone here knows *anything* about the PsyD program that they could share with me. Current students, alumni, anything...

Namely about the admissions process (was it difficult..easy...what sort of experience did you have...?), internship, thoughts on the program itself, and how you paid for it. And most importantly, now that you've taken out the money and gotten the degree, are you finding it difficult to pay that sucker off?

I'm a Masters student in their Psychology Department and I do enjoy their program. I am just paying for everything myself (thru loans), and am getting cold feet about slamming myself with so much debt. Aye...

I would greatly appreciate anyone whos gone through this program to share with me the financial path theyve taken...

Also, what was the admissions process like? Did you have a great deal of clinical experience? If so, where?

Any sort of information would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank ya!

Members don't see this ad.

My first time around applying to doctoral programs (which I did not get into ANY) I wanted to apply to Pepperdine but they required a student to hold a Master's degree in order to apply. It is one of only two Clinical Psychology programs I will be applying to this upcoming December (all the rest will be Counseling).

It's only a 2, it is a VERY clinically focused program and does not emphasis much research. However, the clinical training is outstanding and the faculty seem great. The problem is that it is not funded and the other problem is its West L.A. location= high rent wherever you choose to live.

Good Luck maybe we'll both be applying this Fall!
Jon

I'm a Masters student in their Psychology Department and I do enjoy their program. I am just paying for everything myself (thru loans), and am getting cold feet about slamming myself with so much debt. Aye...
So, aren't you right there to ask the faculty and students about the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I've heard only good things about the faculty and program in general. And it goes along with my interests in clinical psych... Just the money! Aye yae yae.

Do you have a great deal of clinical experience? I'm going to speak with an advisor soon to get some more details and I'll share them on here once I find out :)

So, aren't you right there to ask the faculty and students about the program?

Yes, I am. I just wanted to see what sort of experiences people on here have had...and was hoping maybe they'd be a bit more honest since theyre on an anonymous msg board

;)

I thought the admissions process was pretty painless at Pepperdine. Due to scheduling conflicts with other interviews, I just did a phone interview. Everyone I spoke to was very accomodating and friendly. As for clinical experience, most of my experience is research-oriented, but I have done a fair amount of assessment and testing of subjects.

The program is very expensive ... I'm not sure if they accept transfer credit since it is a post-masters program. Since you got your MA there, I wonder if you might be able to transfer a number of credits?

Hi, I am attending the Psy.d program in the Fall, but it was somewhat of a weird process. I interviewed in the beginning of February, but hear nothing at all regarding acceptance/rejection until last Friday (3/21). I assumed I was waitlisted since I had not received a rejection letter, but then I received a call offering admission. Come to find out, the professors that reviewed my application were just really slow than the others. I am in their Master's program as well.

As far as clinical experience, I had three years experience working with dual diagnosis patients and their families. As far as research goes, I sought out professors and worked on projects for them. I was first author on three conference presentations and first author on 2 APA journal articles (not top tier, but they were the best journals for this particular research).

There are wonderful Ph.d programs in the area as well, so don't exclude those. They are also fully funded, where Pepperdine is very expensive. I am a newlywed with a newborn child, so I new that I could not handle the time commitments of a ph.d program.

Download the application, fill it out, and see how you stack up. It will help you assess what you need to do strengthen your application.

Other than that, I do like the school a lot and I feel that I received a stellar education.

PM if you want to discuss further.