Percent breakdown...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pathology usually nets the largest % of questions. Beyond that, I would say physiology and pharmacology are next highest, with micro and anatomy up next, and biochem, behavioral science, epidemiology/statistics, and other interdisciplinary last. Individual experience will vary. You may have 5 biochem questions, or you may have 20. Be ready for anything, but breakdown is roughly the above.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pathology usually nets the largest % of questions. Beyond that, I would say physiology and pharmacology are next highest, with micro and anatomy up next, and biochem, behavioral science, epidemiology/statistics, and other interdisciplinary last. Individual experience will vary. You may have 5 biochem questions, or you may have 20. Be ready for anything, but breakdown is roughly the above.

Whats your thought on the BRS for physio? I am trying to choose between reading that twice or listening to Kaplan's comprehensive physio videos.

I think BRS physio is a must, and it's generally highly recommended by posters here.

I filled in a few gaps with Kaplan phys videos, though mainly topics I wanted explained further or better. If you're at the end of your second year and have been through FA or have been doing qbanks, you probably know your strengths and weaknesses in physiology. I would suggest supplementing only the weaknesses with videos (though I'd recommend watching the reproductive section taught by Conrad Fischer in any case).

Because the videos are a laborious method of learning the subject from the ground up, rather than a high-yield review course, I would suggest watching them in full only if you feel your school taught you physiology very poorly or have many months to study ahead of you.

You can also find more book recommendations on the 2012 USMLE experience thread.

Last edited: