mward04
SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi,Aucdoctobe said:The MBA is perhaps the most precious dual combination that a physician can have. I have an MBA along with 5 years of experience in the corporate world. This is invaluable.
Case in point: My father is a Pediatrician. Supposedly, one of the lowest income earning specialties in medicine.
I was able to take his practice and create a model that should produce no less than $240,000 (with the help of a nurse practitioner) a year. He will be implementing it next year.
In today's world, a person can't afford to be a dummy when it comes to business. Learning those skills is essential.
mward04 said:I've noticed that numerous docs have a very negative perception of other docs that get an MBA (although that view is definitely changing). I'm curious, what do other med students view of other med students who are interested in getting their MBA?

😡
Clinical faculty seem less antagonistic, but also seem to doubt your interest in medicine. I often only fess up to being an MD/PhD student, and don't mention the MBA. Pathologist, interestingly, uniformly have reacted positively. They are the true keepers of medical wisdom, after all. 😉 mward04 said:I've had mixed reactions from other students. Some think it's cool and some think that I'm out to make money...I guess it's their perception of the dual degree. I usually end up getting into a conversation with them to try to correct these perceptions.
Aucdoctobe said:The MBA is perhaps the most precious dual combination that a physician can have. I have an MBA along with 5 years of experience in the corporate world. This is invaluable.
Case in point: My father is a Pediatrician. Supposedly, one of the lowest income earning specialties in medicine.
I was able to take his practice and create a model that should produce no less than $240,000 (with the help of a nurse practitioner) a year. He will be implementing it next year.
In today's world, a person can't afford to be a dummy when it comes to business. Learning those skills is essential.
prominence said:out of curiosity, if u already have an MBA, why would u consider getting a CFP? isn't it overkill?
Jason_AZCOM said:Think about some of the most successful business people you know, they probably don't have MBA's. Quite a few do not even have college degrees, such as Mr. Bill Gates.
QUOTE]
Only problem with the bill gates argument is that he doesn't even have a college degree...something we all definitely have...is that overkill?
leorl said:I know nothing about MD/MBA, but can some one give my what the negative reactions to docs with MBAs are?
mward04 said:Jason_AZCOM said:Think about some of the most successful business people you know, they probably don't have MBA's. Quite a few do not even have college degrees, such as Mr. Bill Gates.
QUOTE]
Only problem with the bill gates argument is that he doesn't even have a college degree...something we all definitely have...is that overkill?
For medicine, no. For business, I don't really think you need any formal degree, just common sense. However, it's very hard to get your foot in the door now without some degree or other.
Aucdoctobe said:The MBA is perhaps the most precious dual combination that a physician can have. I have an MBA along with 5 years of experience in the corporate world. This is invaluable.
Case in point: My father is a Pediatrician. Supposedly, one of the lowest income earning specialties in medicine.
I was able to take his practice and create a model that should produce no less than $240,000 (with the help of a nurse practitioner) a year. He will be implementing it next year.
In today's world, a person can't afford to be a dummy when it comes to business. Learning those skills is essential.
Ha, well said. I've largely stopped speaking to other premeds, at least where medicine is concerned. Try talking to older, wiser folks and you may get a better response. I guess some people never change though. We are always here to turn to! Too bad I can't say the same of the unknowing advisors at my school.SanDiegoSOD said:I havnt received a positive response yet from any pre-meds when I talk about the dual degree, only endless dribble about how I should want to be a doctor so that I can help people and yada yada yada... They immediately assume that the desire for the dual degree is founded on pure, evil greed. I don't see that changing anytime soon, but then again, I have only talked about it with pre-meds (not med students or actual docs) who still have naive understandings of the medical system.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.