Performance at MMI interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texasm

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are big guys (7'1", 260lb) likely to be perceived differently by MMI interviewers? These interviewers are ordinary and untrained individuals from all indications. How are they likely to react to someone like me?

Members don't see this ad.

Are big guys (7'1", 260lb) likely to be perceived differently by MMI interviewers? These interviewers are ordinary and untrained individuals from all indications. How are they likely to react to someone like me?

Maybe subconsciously, but I'd like to think they wouldn't reject you because you're a giant who would accidentally kill patients with brute strength during physical examinations.

People come in all shapes and sizes, just be friendly/genuine and you'll be fine.

If they don't see your potential, my summer league will. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You've spent your entire life interacting with ordinary and untrained individuals. Unless, you've had a sudden massive growth spurt in the last weeks, you would know how they would react to you better than any of us.

You are a little tall for the octagon. I mean Chuck Liddell better known as The Iceman was 6'2 and 205 pounds (according to Wikipedia). I'm sure as long as they think you are fast for your size and if you show them your skills, you could be the new heavyweight champion in a few years. Good luck!

You are a little tall for the octagon. I mean Chuck Liddell better known as The Iceman was 6'2 and 205 pounds (according to Wikipedia). I'm sure as long as they think you are fast for your size and if you show them your skills, you could be the new heavyweight champion in a few years. Good luck!

implying Liddell was a heavyweight

You've spent your entire life interacting with ordinary and untrained individuals. Unless, you've had a sudden massive growth spurt in the last weeks, you would know how they would react to you better than any of us.

There are definite advantages - like when I try to return something at Walmart, the cashiers never give me a hard time, no one ever messes with me even in bad neighborhoods, etc. On the down side, people do feel threatened by me even though I am a friendly guy. When they shake my hand, they squeeze it really hard to show me they are macho. No one wants to stand next to me to have their pictures taken because I make them look small. If I innocently knock on a stranger's door, they are likely to call the cops on me.

Basically, until people get to know me they act really weird around me but after that they're like, wow, you're really a nice guy. The MMI interviews are short, judgmental, brief interviews by untrained people, so I don't know how they will react. Maybe they are likely to think of me as suitable for football and unsuitable for skills as a surgeon?

18140_1214135368120_300_225.jpg

Yeah, I completely disagree with this statement as I personally know several MMI interviewers, all of which hold advance degrees. In fact, although several of the MMI interviewers I've met are physicians who specialize in developing effective medical teams, one interviewer I know in particular holds a PhD in communication/rhetoric and could write volumes on effective interpersonal communication within healthcare settings. Further, no matter who is asked to be an MMI interviewer, they all go through intensive training before meeting applicants. All in all, if they react negatively to you, it wasn't because you were a "big guy."

Yeah, I completely disagree with this statement as I personally know several MMI interviewers, all of which hold advance degrees. In fact, although several of the MMI interviewers I've met are physicians who specialize in developing effective medical teams, one interviewer I know in particular holds a PhD in communication/rhetoric and could write volumes on effective interpersonal communication within healthcare settings. Further, no matter who is asked to be an MMI interviewer, they all go through intensive training before meeting applicants. All in all, if they react negatively to you, it wasn't because you were a "big guy."

There are also patients on the MMI interview panel. As well as random lay citizens who interview you. Sometimes students. Nurses too. If the school is in a rural setting, they make sure there is a rancher or farmer there. They will be people who bring their prejudices to the table. A Hispanic person or some other minority will also have their share of troubles. The training they get isn't as intensive as you think. It's just a brief orientation. At some schools, they are merely given a one-page instruction sheet. Basically if the judge merely instructs the jury to disregard a statement, subconsciously the jury may pay greater attention to the statement.

Fortunately, there's no marking scale for "size" on MMI interviews.

Maybe they are likely to think of me as suitable for football and unsuitable for skills as a surgeon?

On the contrary, they'll probably assume that you want to enter orthopedics (if we're going by the whole superficial first impressions thing). :laugh:

Don't worry about it. Just be yourself and do the best that you can. You can't worry about it.

7' 1''? My goodness.

Tallness works in your favor though, it's perceived as having more testosterone and thus being the alpha male.

I just made that up but it sounds believable.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the contrary, they'll probably assume that you want to enter orthopedics (if we're going by the whole superficial first impressions thing). :laugh:

Don't worry about it. Just be yourself and do the best that you can. You can't worry about it.

lol peds.

7' 1''? My goodness.

Tallness works in your favor though, it's perceived as having more testosterone and thus being the alpha male.

I just made that up but it sounds believable.

It's not as advantageous as you think. We get back problems and other problems. Have you ever seen a very tall old man?

Always hearing about them wanting to diversify the student body, there you go! I don't think it will be too bad, but I imagine you will need to go an extra mile in really showing that you are warm, kind, and personable. Not giant, made of rock and iron. Might be an interesting thing they ask you about. Patients come in all shapes and sizes, doctors should too.

I imagine you will need to go an extra mile in really showing that you are warm, kind, and personable.

That is so hard to do in the quick paced MMI.

:confused: I don't even...

I actually had a teacher who fit this exact description (I think he weighed more though). I don't know what MMI interviewers would think but most people I know had a very, very, very favourable impression of him... partially because he dressed up as santa all the time and threatened to sit on kids when they were being little pricks

I actually had a teacher who fit this exact description (I think he weighed more though). I don't know what MMI interviewers would think but most people I know had a very, very, very favourable impression of him... partially because he dressed up as santa all the time and threatened to sit on kids when they were being little pricks

Most people have never interacted with a 7'1" person. Well, the initial reaction varies from feeling threatened to wanting to assert their macho-ness. After they get to know you, people settle down. The problem is the MMI is too quick and too judgmental in a short time. I can't do well in such hurried circumstances and I suspect this is also true for those who are Black, speak with an accent, etc.

Just smile and make eye contact. It's the universal signal that you give a **** about what's going on.

Most people have never interacted with a 7'1" person. Well, the initial reaction varies from feeling threatened to wanting to assert their macho-ness. After they get to know you, people settle down. The problem is the MMI is too quick and too judgmental in a short time. I can't do well in such hurried circumstances and I suspect this is also true for those who are Black, speak with an accent, etc.

Honestly, if you walk into the room with that attitude, you're going to get exactly the interview you fear. It sounds like you've already decided that you're going to be rejected because of people's initial impression of your size, so I suggest quitting now, that way you won't have to deal with all the rejection later :rolleyes:

Just smile and make eye contact. It's the universal signal that you give a **** about what's going on.

True.

Now... if anyone wants some potential MMI case scenarios... here you go.

MMI Questions.

Placebo (Ethical Decision Making)
Dr Smith recommends homeopathic medicines to his patients. There is no scientific evidence or widely accepted theory to suggest that homeopathic medicines work, and Dr Smith doesn't believe them to. He recommends homeopathic medicine to people with mild and non-specific symptoms such as fatigue, headaches and muscle aches, because he believes that it will do no harm, but will give them reassurance.
Consider the ethical problems that Dr Smith’s behaviour might pose. Discuss these issues with the interviewer.

Aspartame (Critical Thinking)
A message that recently appeared on the Web warned readers of the dangers of aspartame (artificial sweetener – Nutrasweet, Equal) as a cause of an epidemic of multiple sclerosis (a progressive chronic disease of the nervous system) and systemic lupus (a multisystem auto-immune disease). The biological explanation provided was that, at body temperature, aspartame releases wood alcohol (methanol), which turns into formic acid, which 'is in the same class of drugs as cyanide and arsenic.' Formic acid, they argued, causes metabolic acidosis. Clinically, aspartame poisoning was argued to be a cause of joint pain, numbness, cramps, vertigo, headaches, depression, anxiety, slurred speech and blurred vision. The authors claimed that aspartame remains on the market because the food and drug industries have powerful lobbies in Congress. They quoted Dr Rhonda Blaylock, who said, 'The ingredients stimulate the neurons of the brain to death, causing brain damage of varying degrees.'
Critique this message, in terms of the strength of the arguments presented and their logical consistency. Your critique might include an indication of the issues that you would like to delve into further before assessing the validity of these claims.

Air Travel (Communication Skills)
Your company needs both you and a co-worker (Sara, a colleague from another branch of the company) to attend a critical business meeting in San Diego. You have just arrived to drive Sara to the airport.
Sara (played by an actor) is in the room.

Class Size (Critical Thinking)
Universities are commonly faced with the complicated task of balancing the educational needs of their students and the cost required to provide learning resources to a large number of individuals. As a result of this tension, there has been much debate regarding the optimal size of classes. One side argues that smaller classes provide a more educationally effective setting for students, while others argue that it makes no difference, so larger classes should be used to minimise the number of instructors required.
Discuss your opinion on this issue with the examiner.

Parking Garage (Communication Skills)
The parking garage at your place of work has assigned parking spots. On leaving your spot, you are observed by the garage attendant as you back into a neighbouring car, knocking out its left front headlight and denting the left front fender. The garage attendant gives you the name and office number of the owner of the neighbouring car, telling you that she is calling ahead to the car owner, Tim. The garage attendant tells you that Tim is expecting your visit.
Enter Tim's office. Tim will be played by an actor.

Preferential Admission (Societal Health Issues in the USA)
Due to the shortage of primary care physicians in both rural and urban communities, it has been suggested that medical schools preferentially admit students who are willing to commit to a primary care specialty.
Consider the broad implications of this policy for health and health care costs. For example, do you think the approach will be effective? At what expense? Discuss this issue with the interviewer.

True.

Now... if anyone wants some potential MMI case scenarios... here you go.

MMI Questions.

Placebo (Ethical Decision Making)
Dr Smith recommends homeopathic medicines to his patients. There is no scientific evidence or widely accepted theory to suggest that homeopathic medicines work, and Dr Smith doesn't believe them to. He recommends homeopathic medicine to people with mild and non-specific symptoms such as fatigue, headaches and muscle aches, because he believes that it will do no harm, but will give them reassurance.
Consider the ethical problems that Dr Smith’s behaviour might pose. Discuss these issues with the interviewer.

Aspartame (Critical Thinking)
A message that recently appeared on the Web warned readers of the dangers of aspartame (artificial sweetener – Nutrasweet, Equal) as a cause of an epidemic of multiple sclerosis (a progressive chronic disease of the nervous system) and systemic lupus (a multisystem auto-immune disease). The biological explanation provided was that, at body temperature, aspartame releases wood alcohol (methanol), which turns into formic acid, which 'is in the same class of drugs as cyanide and arsenic.' Formic acid, they argued, causes metabolic acidosis. Clinically, aspartame poisoning was argued to be a cause of joint pain, numbness, cramps, vertigo, headaches, depression, anxiety, slurred speech and blurred vision. The authors claimed that aspartame remains on the market because the food and drug industries have powerful lobbies in Congress. They quoted Dr Rhonda Blaylock, who said, 'The ingredients stimulate the neurons of the brain to death, causing brain damage of varying degrees.'
Critique this message, in terms of the strength of the arguments presented and their logical consistency. Your critique might include an indication of the issues that you would like to delve into further before assessing the validity of these claims.

Air Travel (Communication Skills)
Your company needs both you and a co-worker (Sara, a colleague from another branch of the company) to attend a critical business meeting in San Diego. You have just arrived to drive Sara to the airport.
Sara (played by an actor) is in the room.

Class Size (Critical Thinking)
Universities are commonly faced with the complicated task of balancing the educational needs of their students and the cost required to provide learning resources to a large number of individuals. As a result of this tension, there has been much debate regarding the optimal size of classes. One side argues that smaller classes provide a more educationally effective setting for students, while others argue that it makes no difference, so larger classes should be used to minimise the number of instructors required.
Discuss your opinion on this issue with the examiner.

Parking Garage (Communication Skills)
The parking garage at your place of work has assigned parking spots. On leaving your spot, you are observed by the garage attendant as you back into a neighbouring car, knocking out its left front headlight and denting the left front fender. The garage attendant gives you the name and office number of the owner of the neighbouring car, telling you that she is calling ahead to the car owner, Tim. The garage attendant tells you that Tim is expecting your visit.
Enter Tim's office. Tim will be played by an actor.

Preferential Admission (Societal Health Issues in the USA)
Due to the shortage of primary care physicians in both rural and urban communities, it has been suggested that medical schools preferentially admit students who are willing to commit to a primary care specialty.
Consider the broad implications of this policy for health and health care costs. For example, do you think the approach will be effective? At what expense? Discuss this issue with the interviewer.

What is your source CodeBlu? If you can name the source and if it turns out to be reliable, then SDN posters definitely need to thank you for posting this.

Honestly, if you walk into the room with that attitude, you're going to get exactly the interview you fear. It sounds like you've already decided that you're going to be rejected because of people's initial impression of your size, so I suggest quitting now, that way you won't have to deal with all the rejection later :rolleyes:

OP don't listen to this guy. You have a legitimate concern, and I would guess it's very possible that your interview will be somewhat influenced by your size. However, if you smile like CodeBlu suggests, laugh a little, and just act yourself it should either be a non-issue, or even play to your advantage.

One trend I've noticed on this site is that pre-meds aren't too in touch with reality (yeah I know I'm a premed too). They have this fantasy view of the world where doctors are heroes and attitude is everything (once again I realize that my view of doctors is just as limited, but my view of life is not). Life isn't fair and people will judge you based on irrelevant things. But regarding this situation, I think the effect of your height will be minimal.

OP is banned so it's all a bit moot at this point, but I want to point out that my point was that the person's current attitude is a horrible way to begin a professional relationship (which is exactly what the interviewer/interviewee dynamic is). Having a pre-existing antagonistic attitude towards the process because of your perception of the interviewer's prejudices is ridiculous. At the best it is going to lead you to give off a disagreeable impression, at worse it will simply reinforce whatever prejudice that person may have had.

The only thing you can control in that situation is how you react to it. Given that information, your best bet is to act positively.

As for the implication that I have a fantasy view of the world or am not in touch with reality? That may be the funniest thing I've read on this site. Thank you for the laugh.