Perhaps an annoying question, but please bear with me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samisab786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of you may roll your eyes on this one, but I do need some serious advice.

I'm in a 0-6 pharmacy program at a public university in which I am receiving in-state tuition. I thought several times in my freshman/sophomore year if that is what I really wanted to do, but I couldn't decide properly on one career, and so I decided to stay in pharmacy. I thought that if I leave pharmacy with no concrete path in mind, that would fare worse than at least having one path in my way which I have yet to give a chance to. I'm entering my P1 year and am feeling slightly depressed because my intern licenses are expensive and I'm honestly not feeling excited or motivated as I once was. Although I'm ready to give pharmacy a chance, like I said, I'm worried about the possibility of wasting a lot of money if I decide to switch out and do something else. I have heard of PharmD's choosing MD/DMDs/etc. but the cost of one professional degree in addition to another is really starting to freak me out and I want to prepare for the worst-case scenario-that is, to drop pharmacy and pursue another career. My concern here is that with the 0-6, I don't have a BS/BA that can get me ready for grad school. It seems like, financially, it would be better for me to drop pharmacy if I realize in between that it is not for me, however, the drawback is that I'll be left without a major.

Like I said, I am giving my decision enough time so that I know it will be a right one and hopefully not a financially regrettable one. My question is.

let's give it the worst case scenario, what to do if I decide to drop out?

Please give me honest answers, I'd kindly appreciate them.
Thanks!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

If you want out, get out. Time is more valuable than the money you would lose from pursuing a MD/DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds to me like cold feet. Look you already know it's a major commitment and now you are freaking out a little about the time commitment. Relax. As for not feeling excited, I know what you mean. I think it's such a big deal (you worked hard to get here, right?) you kinda deal with it by reacting to it like it's no big deal. I hope that made since. Anyway my advice is to relax and enjoy your time in pharmacy school. You may find yourself more excited at the end of your P1 year. If you haven't had a coating ceremony yet you may get excited then. Or maybe at graduation. Anyway who cares about excitement? :laugh:

If you are seriously doubting pharmacy school, ask yourself what else would you like to do. Unless you are strongly compelled to another area, stick it out. If it's just general doubtiness, don't worry about it, that's natural.

I'm not sure what the first 2 years of the 0-6 programs involve but I'm sure the classes should be able to transfer towards a BS in something. I'd recommend bowing out from the PharmD tract and working on your BS/BA and finding out what's out in the world for you. You may come back to pharmacy at the end or you might want to do something else. College is all about finding out about yourself and it sounds like you found out you don't want to be a pharmacist. Get out before you waste time and money in something you're not ready for. You can always come back if you want (probably at a different school) as long as you don't screw up your grades.

Edit:

Looking back on your previous posts (I'M A POST DETECTIVE!!!) it looks like you've been unsure about pharmacy since you started. You're clearly lost as to what you want to do so you need to figure that out before it's too late.

Last edited:
I know a lot of you may roll your eyes on this one, but I do need some serious advice.

I'm in a 0-6 pharmacy program at a public university in which I am receiving in-state tuition. I thought several times in my freshman/sophomore year if that is what I really wanted to do, but I couldn't decide properly on one career, and so I decided to stay in pharmacy. I thought that if I leave pharmacy with no concrete path in mind, that would fare worse than at least having one path in my way which I have yet to give a chance to. I'm entering my P1 year and am feeling slightly depressed because my intern licenses are expensive and I'm honestly not feeling excited or motivated as I once was. Although I'm ready to give pharmacy a chance, like I said, I'm worried about the possibility of wasting a lot of money if I decide to switch out and do something else. I have heard of PharmD's choosing MD/DMDs/etc. but the cost of one professional degree in addition to another is really starting to freak me out and I want to prepare for the worst-case scenario-that is, to drop pharmacy and pursue another career. My concern here is that with the 0-6, I don't have a BS/BA that can get me ready for grad school. It seems like, financially, it would be better for me to drop pharmacy if I realize in between that it is not for me, however, the drawback is that I'll be left without a major.

Like I said, I am giving my decision enough time so that I know it will be a right one and hopefully not a financially regrettable one. My question is.

let's give it the worst case scenario, what to do if I decide to drop out?

Please give me honest answers, I'd kindly appreciate them.
Thanks!
:)

If your gut is telling you pharmacy isn't right - it probably isn't. Thankfully, the first two years of 0+6 programs are the same as any other pre-med degree. You do need to do some soul searching - jumping ship w/o a plan makes no sense.

To find pharmacy, I volunteered all over a community hospital, from triage to med surg and oncology. Figure this part out - and remember that only you can figure this part out.

Edit:

Looking back on your previous posts (I'M A POST DETECTIVE!!!) it looks like you've been unsure about pharmacy since you started. You're clearly lost as to what you want to do so you need to figure that out before it's too late.

I agree. If you aren't going to be a career pharmacist, going to pharmacy school doesn't make sense and stopping as soon as possible is the best thing for you. You could always transfer into humanities or business in order to earn a degree while you figure out what you want to do.

Could you pursue the PharmD while working on a BS, for example in biology or pharmaceutical sciences? A few people that wanted to be doctors but were pursuing pharmacy as a backup did that in my 0-6 program. It seems like it was hard work and there's probably a summer involved, but they pulled it off and ended up going to med school. I know 2 people that did this.

Could you pursue the PharmD while working on a BS, for example in biology or pharmaceutical sciences? A few people that wanted to be doctors but were pursuing pharmacy as a backup did that in my 0-6 program. It seems like it was hard work and there's probably a summer involved, but they pulled it off and ended up going to med school. I know 2 people that did this.

that's pretty crazy, but what I do know, from my biochemistry TA is that if you drop pharmacy and get a biology degree, you're so ahead of the regular biology students that you could probably graduate earlier than they can. I wouldn't see the point of getting another BS, a lot of PharmD's who go into medical schools go in with their PharmDs and no other degree or study.

that's pretty crazy, but what I do know, from my biochemistry TA is that if you drop pharmacy and get a biology degree, you're so ahead of the regular biology students that you could probably graduate earlier than they can. I wouldn't see the point of getting another BS, a lot of PharmD's who go into medical schools go in with their PharmDs and no other degree or study.

Well, they left after 4 years, so they had their BS completed but not their PharmD when they entered med school.

Well, they left after 4 years, so they had their BS completed but not their PharmD when they entered med school.

Oh, I see what you mean now! So basically, they used their P2 year like their "fourth" year by getting that bio BS and then leaving pharmacy based on getting admitted to med school so that if they hadn't, they could still contine with the program. That sounds like a great idea, I never thought about that Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely look into it.