Perio income

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InformMe123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing perios make about the same or just a bit more than general dentists, how true is this? Is perio gonna still be lucrative in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I am working in an saturated area... perios around me:
1. Work part time in different offices everyday. I heard it is super difficult to get a full time job offer out of school.
2. Sometimes, they dont take perio specialty board exam, and just start working as a GP with extended training in implant surgery
3. But they are good at soft tissue management.
4. Paycheck in private practice goes by your production or collection. So... no cases, no income..

Any thought from periodontists out there?

I too would like to hear more about this. Calling all perios!

Maybe I am working in an saturated area... perios around me:
1. Work part time in different offices everyday. I heard it is super difficult to get a full time job offer out of school.
2. Sometimes, they dont take perio specialty board exam, and just start working as a GP with extended training in implant surgery
3. But they are good at soft tissue management.
4. Paycheck in private practice goes by your production or collection. So... no cases, no income..

Any thought from periodontists out there?

Recent perio grad here.

#1 True, but it's not hard to find multiple part time jobs
#2 Sometimes true, mostly if you are starting a solo office
#3 I don't know what that means
#4 Please tell me how I can get paid for doing nothing, I will switch specialties immediately

Going from office to office I make a little over 300k a year, which is average from what I hear. Is that better/worse than GP? Way better than when I was a GP associate, but I'm sure there are plenty of GPs that do better. If you like perio, do it. If you don't like perio do something else. Don't be stupid and bury yourself in loans, though.

If you're looking for more $$$, OMFS, endo, pedo.

Reactions: 2 users
i want to know more about the exciting field of perio plastic and reconstructive surgery. how hard is it to get a fellowship in this new and exciting field?

Reactions: 1 user
i want to know more about the exciting field of perio plastic and reconstructive surgery. how hard is it to get a fellowship in this new and exciting field?

You have got a lot of free time on your hands. Very impressive

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hahaha @ get paid doing nothing! Sign me up!

In my opinion, making nightguards for patients counts as getting paid to do nothing. The assistant takes alginate impression, the lab makes the nightguards... voila $300.

Hahaha @ get paid doing nothing! Sign me up!

In my opinion, making nightguards for patients counts as getting paid to do nothing. The assistant takes alginate impression, the lab makes the nightguards... voila $300.
Last I checked taking an impression = doing something ;)

I keep hearing perios make about the same or just a bit more than general dentists, how true is this? Is perio gonna still be lucrative in the future?
varies in my neck of the woods.
some guys travel to 20 plus offices and are doing OK. When I worked for a big multispecialty group, the perio there made more than anyone.
same goes for every specialty. some guys travel, some guys work corporate, some work in their own office, and alot mix it up a bit.
with varying environments comes varying incomes.

varies in my neck of the woods.
some guys travel to 20 plus offices and are doing OK. When I worked for a big multispecialty group, the perio there made more than anyone.
same goes for every specialty. some guys travel, some guys work corporate, some work in their own office, and alot mix it up a bit.
with varying environments comes varying incomes.
Any numbers/ranges?

Do perios generally make more than their GP counterparts? Many GP associates are making 150k. Are there any perios at 150, or all much higher?

Any numbers/ranges?

Do perios generally make more than their GP counterparts? Many GP associates are making 150k. Are there any perios at 150, or all much higher?
I don't practice perio, however throughout the years of working in private practice and corporate, the perios seemed to do well above 150. a few aggressive treatment planners made well above 500,000.
Can't generalize and make blanket statements about income. region, type of practice, hours, how aggressive you are with regard to treatment, work ethic all figure into it
M

there's no way your an actual OMFS. You sound like a bitter intern that is just now learning that the path to be an omfs isn't all fun and games. quit being petty

Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays