Perio Pre-Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.SpongeBobDDS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any other first years out there in Perio Pre-Clinic right now? It is killing me - but not quickly enough. Four hour marathons of scrape, scrape, scrape. Pure torture. All I can say is I'm glad I'm not a hygienist, but at least they get to talk to new patients every hour. My mannequin just doesn't provide much in the way of interpersonal stimulation.

I can cut preps and carve amalgam till my hands bleed, but if I have to scale one more arch of dentaform calculus I think I'm gonna lose it.

Poor me. +pity+ :)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Dr.SpongeBobDDS
Any other first years out there in Perio Pre-Clinic right now? It is killing me - but not quickly enough. Four hour marathons of scrape, scrape, scrape. Pure torture. All I can say is I'm glad I'm not a hygienist, but at least they get to talk to new patients every hour. My mannequin just doesn't provide much in the way of interpersonal stimulation.

ah... that was just for practice. You will love your ultrasonic scalers later on. I don't have to touch those primitive scalers and currets again unless I do my competency.

I've found that although the Cavitron (or other ultrasonics) are awesome, nothing can replace the old hand instruments. Most times I'll do bulk calculus reduction with the cavitron and then go back and pick up missed spots with hand instruments.

Also, as far as scaling and root planing, ultrasonics such as the cavitron do not root plane, an important part of the process. That can only be accomplished with hand instrumentation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DcS
I've found that although the Cavitron (or other ultrasonics) are awesome, nothing can replace the old hand instruments. Most times I'll do bulk calculus reduction with the cavitron and then go back and pick up missed spots with hand instruments.

Also, as far as scaling and root planing, ultrasonics such as the cavitron do not root plane, an important part of the process. That can only be accomplished with hand instrumentation.

We still set up a set of hand instrument along with Calvitron on tray. After we finish the treatment, 2 of instructors will come and check our works. If they find any calculus (large or fine), we will have to go back and scale them off with hand instruments. 10% of our grade will be deducted. Luckily I haven't had any trouble yet. I guess when I have patients with class 3 fulcation, I may run into the problem.

Don't complain about your lab too much. At my dental school, the first time i scaled and root planed was on a live patient!!

Originally posted by omsres
Don't complain about your lab too much. At my dental school, the first time i scaled and root planed was on a live patient!!

:wow: I'm sure you had no signs of soft tissue damage, right? :)

let's just say his pockets were eradicated the hard way:laugh: . Anyway, it prepared me with the search and destroy attitude to edentualate 20 people a day. FMX: the only "real' cure for periodontal disease!:smuggrin: