Perio Specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssdang

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Im really interested in perio specialty and I have several questions.
1. what is the difference between getting a certificate vs a master degree? Can someone teach in academia with a certificate only?
2. Can someone practice as a periodontist with a certificate? is it required to be board certified? How can you be board certified?
3. How is job market for perio?

Thank and happy holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

1. yes you can teach with only a certificate - but generally it is preferred to have a Master's degree or PhD for someone really wanting to advance themselves in academics.

2. Yes you can. Board certification is a personal accomplishment but it is not required to practice periodontics (or any other specialty in most states). There is an oral and written board exam you have to take and then you can say you are a 'board-certified' periodontist. the average pt won't care at all, it likely will not make much of a difference in the private practice world.

3. job market is really dependent on the area and the hustle you have like all of dentistry. how willing you are to move office to office and get referrals. if you are working corp vs PP. I've seen perios doing 400k+ one year out, and some doing 250. large variation for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your response. They are very helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Be aware OP that Perio residencies charge tuition. I am applying this cycle and the fact of the matter is be ok to gain at least $150k in debt from Perio ~ even then those programs are competitive.

How intense is perio program in general? is it doable with having family members? lots of on calls and studying?

• Haha
How intense is perio program in general? is it doable with having family members? lots of on calls and studying?
really varies program to program, but in general I think it is about on par with dental school. May have more research work if your school requires a Masters degree and thesis (not all do)

There is call, but not too often like OMFS do you have to go in. There are definitely perio residents that have kids and families. There are residents that have time to work as a GP as well.

Reactions: 1 user
really varies program to program, but in general I think it is about on par with dental school. May have more research work if your school requires a Masters degree and thesis (not all do)

There is call, but not too often like OMFS do you have to go in. There are definitely perio residents that have kids and families. There are residents that have time to work as a GP as well.
Thank you! Can you share some of your personal experience as a resident? what's daily schedule look like?

Congrats! Do you mind sharing where you would be going? How did you prepare for interviews, applications etc..

My perio residency was more difficult than dental school and we were not allowed to moonlight. Honestly, we didn't have enough time to work even if we wanted to. I can't speak for other programs but I'm sure demands vary from program to program.

Half of the residents in my program were married and had children. Most of the time, the guys were in school and their wives took care of the kids. One of my female co-residents gave birth during residency and raised her child throughout residency. She did have help from her family though--babysitting etc.

So, having a family is doable in residency but it won't be easy. I think if you do have a family, you will learn how to be really efficient with your time just because you don't have much to spare. It helps if your spouse is on the same page and is fine with you being busy with residency all the time.

My perio residency was more difficult than dental school and we were not allowed to moonlight. Honestly, we didn't have enough time to work even if we wanted to. I can't speak for other programs but I'm sure demands vary from program to program.

Half of the residents in my program were married and had children. Most of the time, the guys were in school and their wives took care of the kids. One of my female co-residents gave birth during residency and raised her child throughout residency. She did have help from her family though--babysitting etc.

So, having a family is doable in residency but it won't be easy. I think if you do have a family, you will learn how to be really efficient with your time just because you don't have much to spare. It helps if your spouse is on the same page and is fine with you being busy with residency all the time.
Thank you for your response.
Are the classes are graded or pass/fail?