Perioperative Meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pianoman511

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All:

I am a third year medical student doing an elective rotation in anesthesiology. I have been following a CRNA and two anesthesiologists. I am trying to get an idea of the most common medications used during the course of a procedure, but there seems to be a ton of variability. I was wondering if there are any conventions regarding medications - in particular zofran, toradol, and dexamethasone perioperatively (since none of the providers I am rotating with seem to agree). One uses Zofran or dexamethasone for every case to prevent postop n/v. Another says he never uses either med, but uses perioperative Toradol (30mg IV/30 mg IM) to cut down on postoperative pain.

Members don't see this ad.

There are about as many different ways to provide an anesthetic as there are anesthesiologists out there. Aside from that, as a soon to be physician you should not be following a CRNA. Whoever is assigning you to them is doing you a disservice. Ask to be with an anesthesiology resident or anesthesiologist.

Hello All:

I am a third year medical student doing an elective rotation in anesthesiology. I have been following a CRNA and two anesthesiologists. I am trying to get an idea of the most common medications used during the course of a procedure, but there seems to be a ton of variability. I was wondering if there are any conventions regarding medications - in particular zofran, toradol, and dexamethasone perioperatively (since none of the providers I am rotating with seem to agree). One uses Zofran or dexamethasone for every case to prevent postop n/v. Another says he never uses either med, but uses perioperative Toradol (30mg IV/30 mg IM) to cut down on postoperative pain.

Please tell me the CRNA is the one giving the zofran