Peripartum Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychresy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - first time venturing over to this forum (I typically post in psychiatry). I am finishing up residency and consider sub-specializing with an intention to open up private practice. I am strongly considering training in peri-partum psychiatry but wondering how large a demand there may be for these services. Ideally I would try to network with ob/gyn in my community to drum up business. From your perspective would you find having a psychiatrist with this specialization useful to you and your patients? Do you feel there are adequate referrals in your practice?

In my experience, finding a psychiatrist with particular training in this area is lacking even in large metros. You all are on the front lines however, so I'd be curious of your opinions on the matter. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for others, but there has been a huge need for peripartum psychiatry in every place I have trained or practiced. Part of this is due to a mal-distribution of psychiatrists in general, but it would take our patients forever and a day to get an appointment with a psychiatrist willing to see pregnant patients.

We desperately need more psychiatrists that specialize in pregnancy. "Stop all your meds in pregnancy" is too often the advice patients get and it's terrible. There are also so many opportunites / need for research in the field. DO IT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At my institution there are 2 psych who do part time peripartum stuff, and one obgyn who did a psych fellowship who does it full time. They are all very busy.

I might humbly suggest that you consider expanding to things like pelvic pain and sexual dysfunction as well and opioid management, which will keep you very busy.

At my institution there are 2 psych who do part time peripartum stuff, and one obgyn who did a psych fellowship who does it full time. They are all very busy.

I might humbly suggest that you consider expanding to things like pelvic pain and sexual dysfunction as well and opioid management, which will keep you very busy.
All sounds good except the opioid part. A psychiatrist prescribing opioids for pelvic pain is a bad set-up.