Step I Peripheral T Helpers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dyspareunia

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is from an RX question (qid 2417).

Basically the question asks whether or not a peripheral T helper in presence of MHC2 bound antigen, but the absence of the second signal will be able to perform effector functions.

I understand that immature cells need the second signal or they'll go into anergy, but how do I know that "peripheral T helper lymphocyte" means a mature naive T helper and not an effector T helper? I incorrectly assumed that "peripheral T helper" implied an effector cell, which doesn't need the second signal to carry out functions.
 
I don't have Rx so I can't see the question, but here's my answer as I understand the topic:
-Co-activation of T cells with an APC (that is, both the T cell and APC "benefit") only occurs in a T cell - APC interaction. T cell effectors, which are already activated themselves, just go around activating other cells and don't need to be activated.
-Therefore, when asked if a T cell needs a second signal to perform functions, it can only be referring to the co-activation between a T cell and an APC.
-I can't think of any way you would know that "peripheral T helper lymphocyte" meant a mature naive vs. effector.
 
I don't have Rx so I can't see the question, but here's my answer as I understand the topic:
-Co-activation of T cells with an APC (that is, both the T cell and APC "benefit") only occurs in a T cell - APC interaction. T cell effectors, which are already activated themselves, just go around activating other cells and don't need to be activated.
-Therefore, when asked if a T cell needs a second signal to perform functions, it can only be referring to the co-activation between a T cell and an APC.
-I can't think of any way you would know that "peripheral T helper lymphocyte" meant a mature naive vs. effector.

Are you saying that effector T helpers don't interact with APCs?

So I don't know if this is too much info, but I'm sure a mod will delete it if it is.

A peripheral t helper lymphocyte engages a MHC2+peptide on an APC. No other contact is made between T cell and APC. Which of the following can be concluded?

A. T lymphocyte will be activated and fully able to perform effector functions
B. T lymphocyte will undergo anergy
 
I think a general overview will help clarify this topic:

There are two types of APC activation: Co-activation with a CD4+ T cell (naive) and singular activation by an effector T cell (activated).
-Co-activation: This is the typical thing you're well aware of, the two-step activation of B7-CD28, and MHCI/II - TCR. Both the APC and T cell are activated.

-Singular activation: CD40L is a very special ligand on T cells that only appears when they are activated. Therefore, the CD40L-CD40 interaction only occurs between an activated T cell and an inactive APC. This activation has 2 steps also:
Step 1 for macrophages and CD8+ cells = IFN-gamma (Step 1 for B cells = MHCII-TCR)
Step 2: CD40L-CD40 interaction
Notice that some APC's don't have the MHC-TCR interaction as part of their activation. This is because MHC-TCR binding only serves them the purpose of letting the T cell know that they're the ones that should be activated. The MHC on the surface of these APC's doesn't have a biochemical signal cascade behind it when recognized by an effector T cell.

In contrast, there's only one type of T cell activation: Co-activation with an APC. Simple. Therefore, when the Rx question asked about a 2-step T cell activation, it could only have been referring to the activation of a naive T cell with an APC.

As an aside, the only other complicating element is that B cells can be singularly activated through T cell-independent activation. This is just where some lipid or polysaccharide antigen cross-links the surface IgM. There was no affinity maturation to optimize this binding, it's more of a priming proliferative signal. LPS can do this to B cells too. If the B cell is activated through this way, it still can't class switch until it's been activated through the power of CD40L.
 
Last edited: