Perkins Loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emidesu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who has experience with Perkins Loans? Do they depend on need, credit or what? I will need something in addition to Stafford loans and my credit isn't very good for various reasons...

Members don't see this ad.

emidesu said:
Who has experience with Perkins Loans? Do they depend on need, credit or what? I will need something in addition to Stafford loans and my credit isn't very good for various reasons...

I have been getting Perkins loans for the last couple of years. It is $6,000 a year and you do not accrue interest while in school.

This is based on need. I don't know anything about credit since I don't have any, but I don't recall anyone asking for information that would tell them about my credit.

I had an income of a little over $17,000 the year I entered medical school. However, they did not include my earnings since I had to quit to enter school. In addition, they cannot legally include parental information.

It is the school's decision as to who needs the most need, and the loans are distributed through the school. Our school gives first preference to out of state students who pay higher tuition (i.e. me.)

So you should get $44,500 total in loans with Stafford + Perkins.